Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

danmickread
Journeyman III

Which graphics card do i need?

Hello to all,

I have recently bought a 32:9 5120x1440 120hz monitor. I am not an avid gamer but would like to play some games now and then and am wondering what sort of graphics card i need to take fully advantage of this resolution with higher FPS. Can i get anything that will produce 5120x1440 @ 120FPS to match the monitor refresh rate with having to sell a kidney to pay for it?

Thanks in advance,

Dan

0 Likes
16 Replies
ThunderBeaver
Miniboss

Send hardware specs of your build and operating system.

Been building PC's for 22 years and I will do my very best to help you find a quality GPU that won't break the bank.

Have patience as the best deals appear on weekends and the weeks following major holidays.

Also let me know what you look to spend on a GPU.

To take advantage of that resolution and refresh rate my initial estimate with todays GPU prices is going to range from $500 to $800 used open box or recertified.

New your probably going to be looking at $750 minimum unless we catch a lucky break and find a really good deal that they still have in stock.

Let me know what online sites you use and trust for me I only use Newegg.

Also I know your on AMD community forum but do you prefer AMD Invidia or a good quality GPU that you can afford.

I'm not really biased either way nor am I in any way seeking to make any money out of helping you.

0 Likes

My computer is a Del XPS 8900

Intel i7-6700 CPU @3.4GHz

32gb Ram

Nvidia Geforce GTX960

Windows 10 Home

So this was a better than average pc when i bought but in now way a gaming PC, im not even a gamer and dont understand half the things you said! Ive upgraded the Ram.

Its just now i have the bigger screen would like to take advantage of it. Ive been playing COD a little and the current GPU cant cope. If i run the game at native resolution i have to bring the Render resolution down to get ok FPS. It would be nice if i can make use of the screens resolution and get best quality picture out of the display and a half decent FPS, even 60 would be ncie and should give smooth game play right?

I was looking at AMD GPU as my monitor has free sync which i believe will make gameplay better as it keeps the refresh rate and FPS in sync.

I dont really know what i want to spend, ideally around $400 but will i be able to get much for that?

Thanks

0 Likes

I have a Sapphire RX 580 Nitro+ 8gb GPU..

Playing Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice on Ultra settings and in HDR, I get 80 - 120 fps @1440p which I think is pretty good for my card..

You can maybe pick up a second hand one at a good price, but will still be overpriced at the moment..

When prices are a bit more reasonable, I will be getting an RX 6700 XT..

AMD Ryzen 7 3700x, Asus Tuf Gaming RX 6700 XT, Asus TUF Gaming x570 Plus, 32gb G.Skill TZ neo 3600mhz, Samsung 980pro 1tb NVME, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1tb NVME, Lian Li Galahad AIO 240mm, Antec Titanium 1kw.
0 Likes
blazek
Volunteer Moderator

It all depends on your budget really, look at Logical Increments for reference, though you'll most likely not hit 120fps consistently on AAA graphic intensive games @ 1440p/high settings

ThunderBeaver
Miniboss

To be honest it would be best to wait until summer. June through August. I've always noticed better deals and more frequent sales events during that time.

That will give you time to set money to the side for a new GPU.

From what I've seen with semi-conductor and chip manufacturers the first of their new production facilities are starting production now. Hopefully this means more PC components and prices start dropping.

I got lucky on my Power Color Demon RX 6900 XT. Normally priced around $2100. I found it on sale New Years weekend for $1599 on Newegg. Sure enough after New Years was over the price jumped back up. 

You can create wish lists for PC parts on Newegg and Amazon and they will email you if a sale or price drops happen on items in your wish lists. I do this about 6 months for planned builds and I usually get components from 20% to 40% lower than regular cost. It's a way I play the market without always having to go to the websites and checking. 

$400 your over halfway to getting a good quality RX 580. From what I've seen they range from $600 to $800 new.

Check for the weekend deals you might get lucky.

0 Likes

Thanks for the help.

I am a total newbie though so forgive my stupidity but i have a few questions.

Do you rate AMD over NVIDIA?

The only reason i thought AMD would be better because of the Freesync as i have a freesync monitor. Would i need a card from the RX6000 series to have this or is it not worth bothering with?

Am i better off having a lower model of 6000 series or and higher model of an older series such as the 5000?

When you talked about getting a RX580 arnt they really old did you mean 5800 which is the predecessor to the current models yes?

Whats the best make to get, i now have realised from looking that there are different manufacturers that make the cards that use the AMD GPU i assume.

You can get an MSI RX5600 for around £400 are these any good?

https://probuyuk.com/products/msi-amd-radeon-rx-6600-mech-2x-8gb-gddr6-graphics-card

Thankyou.

0 Likes

The RX 580 is a solid GPU and well proven it also will not exceed your current Power Supply output.

There is a chance that the RX 5800 could be to much for your PSU.

Plus the RX 5800 ranges in price from $900 to $1200.

If you were looking at a 5000 series I would just hold back and get a 6000 series.

The drawback with the 6000 series is they are very power hungry and can bottleneck even Gen 2 Ryzen 7 CPU's.

Another thing to consider is your MOBO's PCIEx16 ports. Are the Gen 3.0 or 4.0.

The RX 580 is a Gen 3.0 PCIE GPU Most of the 5000 and 6000 series are Gen 4.0 they will work in most Gen 3.0 PCIE slots but you will not get the full GPU processing capabilities of the GPU.

When building a PC you build on what your MOBO can support and what your PSU can handle.

Cooling is another important factor. A high end CPU air cooler is a great investment plus high CFM airflow fans for your case.

There are all kinds of things to research when building a PC.

Been doing this for 22 years mostly self taught trial and error. 

Good luck and remember the first rule about working with electricity. Don't get any on you.

0 Likes

My current MOBO is PCIe 3.0 so i wouldnt get the full benefit with a 6700xt im sure. I dont really want to be upgrading other parts to such as PSU. So maybe i should just consider a 580 then? Theres lots on ebay for £200-£300.

Is one make better than the other such as Saphire, Power Color, Asus, MSI, Gigabyte etc.

Heres some on ebay which one would you recommend?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313&_nkw=rx580&_sacat=0

Theres a saphire buy it now for £260.

Thanks for your help its much appreciated.

0 Likes

MSI has the beat reputation especially any of their twin or triple FROZR series.

Power Color makes a really solid card as well they are harder to find in stock than MSI.

Also a thing I wasn't aware of until a few years ago is MSI is made in the UK. Not certain what all countries they make their products in. Micro Star Inc. I've been using their GPU's since the AMD HD series GPU's. I still have all my MSI GPU's and they all still work. I keep them around as diagnostic and recovery tools.

0 Likes

If I was buying it would be Sapphire..

I have used only Sapphire for years now..

Years ago I had a problem with one and sent it for warranty repair, within 5 days I had a new card..

If you can get a Nitro+ RX 580 go for it..

Make sure it's an 8gb one..

AMD Ryzen 7 3700x, Asus Tuf Gaming RX 6700 XT, Asus TUF Gaming x570 Plus, 32gb G.Skill TZ neo 3600mhz, Samsung 980pro 1tb NVME, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1tb NVME, Lian Li Galahad AIO 240mm, Antec Titanium 1kw.
0 Likes

So, i bought a second hand Power Colour RX580 for now see how that goes, was only £200.

Is it best to install drivers from Power Colour or direct from AMD site?

What free software is there that i can use to monitor my pcs temperature and fan speeds etc so i can keep an eye on things and what number should i be looking for with regards to ideal cpu and gpu temperatures and what temperature alarm bells should be ringing?

I was also thinking about overclocking my CPU to increase performance abit. I dont have a clue about this so is this something that can be easily done or not?

My CPU is an Intel Core i7-6700 3.4ghz 3408mhz 4 cores

Thanks Dan.

0 Likes

Just get the drivers from AMD.. I am on 22.1.1 and they work perfectly with my RX 580..

As for CPU, I wouldn't bother Over clocking...

0 Likes

Got it up and running last night and so much better than my old card but the fans are noise AF and it seems to be working my cpu harder than before, and my cpu usage was 100% alot of the time with temps of 80-85 degrees C so the cpu fans going crazy as well, I thought the pc was gonna take off! This was playing COD Warzone.

Also i ran Prime 95 and the CPU temp goes up to 100 degrees so this was making me nervous and making me think about a better fan. Any suggestions to draw the heat out better and mean the fan is not running flat out?

What about the Cooler Master Hyper 212 this seems reasonable price?

Thanks Dan

0 Likes

I have the RX 580 Nitro+ 8gb by Sapphire, it is a really good solid performer..

If I were you, I would wait to get an RX 6700 XT rather than the RX 5600.. or Rx 6600..

I have a freesync monitor and the RX 580 works perfectly with it @freesync Premium..

Also I'm waiting for prices to drop, then an RX 6700 XT will take it's place as I play at 1440p..

0 Likes
BlackSabbath
Adept II

Nvidia RTX 3060Ti or AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT (nvidia have better drivers)

0 Likes
jhaidariye
Adept II

AMD Radeon™ RX 6900 XT latest graphics card can meet your needs.

0 Likes