Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics

Highlighted
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Which GPU for Server 2016 RemoteFX

I am building out a Server 2016 based RemoteFX powered vdi solution for my firm.  I have a Dell R730 with plenty of ram and am looking to support 8 - 10 vm's per host.  I need to use Microsoft RDS I can't use VMWare esxi or Citrix which rules out the S7150 and S7150x2.  Those won't work in a Server 2016 RDS deployment.  I know, I've tried.  You can get the cards to recognize in device manager using Windows 10 drivers but the second you enable the hyper-v role the gpu's disable themselves and appear as disconnected when you "show hidden devices" in device manager.  The minute you remove the hyper v role they come back online which is........frustrating....  I know that AMD's MxGPU is only supported on VMware or Citrix but was hoping the card could still be used for RemoteFX

Anyway, I was curious to know if anyone out there has real experience using the S9150 or any another gpu successfully via Server 2016 RemoteFX.   

0 Kudos
55 Replies
Highlighted
Big Boss
Big Boss

Re: Which GPU for Server 2016 RemoteFX

fsadough​ may have info on that.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3200c16d kit, Aorus nvme gen4 1tb,
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Staff
Staff

Server 2016 Virtualization is not supported yet. We are working on it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

I am trying to use a AMD FirePro S9050 to use with Windows Server 2016 Guest using Discrete Device Assignment so that I can use the GPU with one Remote Desktop Server Host to connect my 20 users up to using a GPU that will accelerate video on remote desktop (Non VDI style).  Any idea on when this driver with Virtualization will be available for Windows Server 2016?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Staff
Staff

HyperV DDA support is planned for early 2018

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Can I ask what is taking so long?  Windows Server 2016 came out last year and yet it is a year later and I don't see any drivers for anything other than desktop operating systems here:

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/pages/workstation-graphics-drivers.aspx

I mean even the video cards that are for "Servers" don't even have "Server" drivers, only Windows 10,8,7, etc....

I have a Dell R730 and even on the support page there are not any AMD drivers at all.

Is virtualization for RemoteFX and DDA support really holding you back that much?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Staff
Staff

We certainly have Windows Server 2016 support for our workstation products including server products:
AMD FirePro and Radeon Pro Software 17.Q3 Enterprise Release Notes

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/AMD-FirePro-and-Radeon-Pro-Software-17.Q3-Enterprise-...

You are looking for Hyper-V DDA support on our VDI products. The focus has been so far on Citrix and VMware due to higher demand.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

I realize this is an older thread, but I was wondering if you had any update on the status of the S7150 cards being supported in Server 2016 for Hyper-V and VDI.  I too was hoping to put these cards in Dell R730's and I really don't want to switch to Nvidia because of their licensing scheme.  We are looking to implement seven of these cards in a seven node S2D cluster for both RDS and VDI.

Highlighted
Staff
Staff

We are working on Hyper-V support

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Any updates on the progress?

0 Kudos