cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics

willyfisch
Adept III

Where is RX Vega?

This might be the wrong place to ask this question, if so, please tell me the correct place for this question.

AMD has been clearly stating a H1 release of Vega. Even though it wasn't specifically said that it'll be the RX Vega, it was clear out of the context, that RX Vega was to be released in that time frame.

Yesterday at FAD, you talked about the professional Vega being the first Vega GPU to be released in second half of June.

Does this mean that RX Vega got quietly delayed (again)?

AMD really needs to communicate better. Me and thousands of other enthusiasts are waiting for RX Vega.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
50 Replies

Re: Where is RX Vega?

The thing that's holding back Vega is the High Bandwidth Memory Cache which is in its early production days, making the supply tight and prices high, and with AMD targeting an emerging market with very high demand vs very little supply, most of the supply will be going to the Vega Frontier Edition with 16GB of the stuff, and likely a FirePro level price tag. Gamer level Vega will launch first in limited numbers after Computex (June 5th is the last launch date I've seen).

http://digiworthy.com/2017/05/14/amd-rx-vega-lineup-fastest-vega-nova/

willyfisch
Adept III

I'm aware of that, but many things are unclear and AMD should communicate it.

I think it's only fair to their customers to keep them updated about the situation when a product gets delayed.

They could have launched on lower volume for example. The consumer card is 8GB, so they could maybe use less dense HBM2, which should be availably in higher volume? I don't know, we could speculate all day, or AMD could just tell us.

willyfisch
Adept III

About the launch date. Dr. Lisa Su said Frontier Edition will be the first Vega graphics card and will be released in the second half of June. In other words, RX Vega can't be released on June 5th, but will be substantially delayed again.

lortie258
Adept I

they better get us something concrete or me and mine will be going to the intel/nvidia! after the 5th!

kingfish
MVP

0 Kudos
sakmael86
Journeyman III

Hello, guys, i'm still waiting rx fury x2

Now for real, a lot of people, (including me) are eager for the release of rx vega, since for near 2 years there is not serious competition in the high end graphics cards for nvidia.

I'm amd fun for the last 8 years, and i wait 2 years for the big jump to the 4k gaming and 3 days ago i learn that rx vega (gaming) probably will not launch in June...

I hope at least at Computex we will have an OFFICIAL!! release date for the cards that thousands of people are waiting for...

DONT PUSH US TO BUY NVIDIA, I DONT WANT THAT!!

The only way they can push you to buy nVidia is if you have Windows 8.1.

colesdav
MVP

Hi,

This review of the AMD Radeon Vega Frontier Edition is just out:
The Radeon Vega Frontier Edition 16GB Air Cooled Review | PC Perspective

For anyone interested in purchasing an AMD Vega Frontier Edition I just found the following Gamers Nexus Teardown:

AMD Vega: Frontier Edition Tear-Down, Die Size, & Mounting Spacing | GamersNexus - Gaming PC Builds ...

0 Kudos
willyfisch
Adept III

Judging from this review, the FE is barely competitive with a stock 1080. AMD stated the RX Vega will be very competitive with Titan Xp and 1080ti.
I wonder how they will do that, because it has to be at least 40% faster than Vega FE for that claim to prove accurate.

0 Kudos