cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics

hexinator
Adept I

Re: Where is RX Vega?

Now that vega have been unveiled and there is a discount package for samsung c34f791 -monitor which has major flicker problems in ultimate engine(48-100hz) and this is the range amd is adrertising on the promo where they compare gtx 1080 fps range against vega in this 48-100fps range, so will vega fix the flicker problem somehow??

I own the monitor and had fury and it was a nightmare with freesync, so got a more powerful gpu and couldn't use freesync then, but was thinking if vega was powerful as it seems to be in the promos and freesync which they advertise is working then i will definetly get the water cooled vega for my ryzen setup and have feng shui with all amd system in freesync

Amd, if you can hear me this is something you really need to address, becourse if there will be many vega+cf791 owners with major flicker problems it will be shitstorm

0 Kudos
colesdav
MVP

Hi

By Ultimate engine do you mean the game engine used in GameMaker Studio?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
hexinator
Adept I

I mean the monitors engine, it has balanced(80-100hz) and ultimate(48-100hz) engine for freesync. Amd is advertising the ultimate engines freesync range and the ultimate engine is somewhat broken( google "cf791 freesync").

Thanks for for the reply

colesdav
MVP

Thanks!

0 Kudos
colesdav
MVP

OK I searched and I found a video on Youtube with the following title:
"Samsung CF791 Flickering in FreeSync (Ultimate Engine) "
It demonstrates flicker running "The Witcher 3" on a FreeSync Monitor when the Frame Rate sits at around 47- 49 FPS with FreeSync turned on.
I cannot tell what GPU is used in the video.

I will not post the direct link to the video ... flicker can cause epilepsy in some people.

Thanks for pointing it out.
Maybe someone from AMD can take a look and respond.

Cheers.

0 Kudos
willyfisch
Adept III

Well, it's kind of what I was expecting. Roughly GTX 1080 performance, the second tier of Nvidia GPUs from 2016.

It's fine, if pricing is right. The air cooled version is priced fine, but the leaf blower fan is not what I want on a premium GPU. The liquid cooled version looks nice, but how can I buy it without the bundle? The bundle is worthless to me, I don't need any of those products. Paying an additional $200 for a better cooling solution seems too much and pushes the price close to the 1080 Ti, which is of course a superior GPU.

0 Kudos
hexinator
Adept I

I have seen the same video and noted the frame rate and someone pointed that out also in the comments, but that was not what meant exacly, but the reddit and other forums that have long discussion about this and have concluded many ppl saying tha even with framerates over 60fps have noted this, even in the windmill -demo made by amd for freesync demo.

In the forums ppl have contacted samsung before without any real answer so i decided to try this way becourse amd is making this monitor big part of vega launch.

Sorry about my english, its not my native language and dyslexia doesn't help

0 Kudos
ajlueke
Grandmaster

I understand AMD's logic in the bundles.  The $100 off a Ryzen 7 motherboard/CPU and $200 off a freesync monitor is a tremendous value for anyone doing a new build.

The established customer base is out of luck however.  It is unfortunate that the liquid limited edition is only available in a bundle.  AMD is asking $699 for a GTX 1080 class GPU if the rest of the bundle goes unused.  There are GTX 1080 Ti's available at my local computer store right now for $699.

I think I will wait and see how the Nano card pans out.  If it again offers 90% of the performance at a vastly lower TDP that may be the card to get.

Looks Like Vega Nano is GO! | PC Perspective

If AMD produces a new pro duo card from the Nano die I may check that out as well.  

colesdav
MVP

RE: Well, it's kind of what I was expecting. Roughly GTX 1080 performance, the second tier of Nvidia GPUs from 2016.

I think we still need to see third party reviews of  performance and power numbers on latest RX drivers before making any conclusion on exactly where RX Vega sits versus GTX1070/10801080Ti and then decide on the price. I do not think there is enough independent info yet.

Hopefully RX Vega it will be better than both the Vega FE Air and Liquid Cooled card gaming performance numbers I have seen so far.

RE: the leaf blower fan is not what I want on a premium GPU.
That fan style is pretty normal for both AMD and Nvidia produced cards.

It will be interesting to see what Companies like Sapphire or XFX or MSI etc can do for example with Dual / Triple fan style cards.
I am hoping they will keep their cards within two PCIe slots high though.

RE: The liquid cooled version looks nice, but how can I buy it without the bundle?

I agree. I am most interested in an  RX Vega or Vega Frontier Edition Liquid Cooled card. It would be good if it were available on it's own.

I am very interested to see how Vega Frontier Edition Liquid Cooled version performs on the new Gaming Drivers but it is ~ $1500 which is too much for me at the moment versus the gaming performance numbers I have seen for it so far. The Vega FE does seem to perform well on "Pro " applications though.

0 Kudos
colesdav
MVP

Hi,

I currently own a pair of R9 Nano (Fury X), and they are great cards, very powerful, small form factor which can fit in small eGPU case.

I use them in my PC most of the time though.
I have been very interested to see the next Nano card from AMD based on Vega.
I found some more info here: https://videocardz.com/amd/radeon-500/radeon-rx-vega-nano
The TDP is 150 Watts according to that.

I did consider buying R9 Fury X instead of R9 Nano but because of the closed loop water cooler the card was too long to fit in small eGPU cases.
I thought  the attached fan was an extra hassle when moving the GPU's from one PC system to another, and is an additional headache for eGPU use.

I initially thought that if I wanted to, I could add a pair of EK Waterblocks to the R9 Nano (Fury X)  in future to push up performance more like a R9 Fury X.
A few limitations on this idea though.

1. The Voltage Regulators on the R9 Nano Cards are different (lower power spec) to those on the R9 Fury X.
2. There is only one 8pin Power Connector on the R9 Nano versus two on the R9 Fury X.
3. I have seen comments that the Fiji GPU's on the R9 Nano  are specifically binned out for lower power / lower performance versus higher power / higher performance R9 Fury X.

Point 3 is fair enough I guess, if it is true,  but it would be good if AMD have thought about people who may want to purchase Vega Nano to remove the cooler and replace it with an AIO Liquid Cooler or EK Waterblock in future.

Here is what I wish the Vega Nano could do.

(A). It would be nice if it used the same Voltage Regulators / Voltage Regulators overpowered enough to allow higher TDP with a watercooler.
(B). It would be great if was possible to get a supported method from AMD to change the VBIOS setting to unlock the 150W power limitation for Vega Nano on watercooling.
(C). It would have been good also if there are two 8 pin power connectors available on the card  - one only accessable if you remove the cooling fan shroud on the Vega Nano to fit a watercooler (AIO closed loop or EK Waterblock).

It is unlikely they will have done this I think,  but it would be great if they could think of this requirement in the future for Nano cards.

Cheers.

0 Kudos