cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

ischyro
Adept II

When will you fix the BSODs in your GPU drivers for Radeon 5700 XT GPUs?

When will you fix the BSODs in your GPU drivers? I'm stuck with the driver version 19.7.5. Every driver beyond that causes BSODs like "kernel_security_check_failure", "kernel_mode_trap", "system_service_exception", or "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL". I've already tried:

1. Updating via Radeon Settings -> Restore my system from a previous backup after a BSOD

2. Updating via the driver installer -> Restore my system from a previous backup after a BSOD

3. DDU -> Updating via driver installer -> Restore my system from a previous backup after a BSOD

Before upgrading to my 3800X last week, I was recently using the Ryzen 2700X. And I was able to confirm that using the driver 19.8.2 causes my CPU to overheat, like about nearing 100c when I try to use Cinebench R15, and then boom, my PC turns off suddenly. Normally, that CPU would only have a maximum 83c during that benchmark. Restoring my system from a previous backup, I can confirm that the CPU does not overheat anymore.

This makes me think that your latest drivers might be giving too much strain for both the CPU and the memory causing the system to become unstable and then the BSOD happens.

Upgrading to my 3800X, I was glad because it runs cooler than my 2700X and it is more stable at higher RAM frequencies. Tried to do a Cinebench R15 benchmark run, and I got a higher score than my 2700X (which is expected), but I did not expect that the full load would only be within 70c and 80c. Okay, this made me gladder than before. So I thought that maybe, installing the newer drivers won't make my system crash anymore. And boy, I was disappointed. Aside from the BSODs, doing one run with the Cinebench R15, I get past 90c temperatures!

Oh AMD, what oh what have you done with your drivers?

(NOTE: I always do system restore after every power outage and BSODs using Macrium Reflect because I don't want to have dirty OS and broken registry. Plus, I don't trust your drivers so much due to my experiences with your GPU drivers in the past, and I am right not to)

1 Solution
Matt_AMD
Community Manager

We have an existing thread on this issue, please use that to track status updates and provide your feedback. 

https://community.amd.com/thread/243203 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
6 Replies
pabulum
Adept I

I have the same errors with the same cpu. I recently upgraded my gpu to the 5700 XT so I needed to install the latest drivers. Now I have those blue screens but only when watching streams in firefox.

spajdr
Adept III

Disable HW acceleration in Firefox/Chrome or whatever browser you using, that should resolve BSOD until it's fixed by AMD.

Yes, that works. Someone have given me this "workaround". But AMD should really employ a real solution for this. Thanks.

shatte
Adept I

I had some crashing and BSOD's too but now i found "solution" which works for me. Turn steam completely off and try some games. 

I understand your frustration but you are NOT LETTING AMD KNOW IN THESE FORUMS. These are USER TO USER forums only no Driver Development personnel read you post here. To let AMD know you all need to open a support ticket. Please open a support ticket the more that do the faster it will get fixed: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form 

Matt_AMD
Community Manager

We have an existing thread on this issue, please use that to track status updates and provide your feedback. 

https://community.amd.com/thread/243203 

0 Likes