cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

sirquasi
Adept I

What temps is it normal for a rx 480 to ideal at in balanced mode and performance mode.

CPU ideals at 20-29c/Motherboard ideals at 31-36c. In balanced mode my xfx rx480 ideals at 40-46c and in balanced mode 50-53c yet to check after I play games never really thought about it wondering if those temps are ok and would like to learn more about temp ranges for amd hardware to keep my gaming pc running at tip top shape.  Using Speccy to check temps.

0 Likes
1 Solution

SPECCY is an excellent program to let you know what hardware and software you have installed in your computer if you didn't know. But I wouldn't trust SPECCY Temperature accuracy too much. Best to use something like HWMonitor or something similar or AMD Wattman for the most accurate temperatures for your AMD RX 480.

This previous thread may help from AMD Forums : What is the maximum safe operating temperature of the RX 480?

This review of the RX 480 : AMD Radeon RX 480 8GB review - Graphics card temperatures

copied from the above linked review concerning temperatures:

So with the card fully stressed we kept monitoring temperatures and noted down the GPU temperature.

• Radeon RX 480 - The temperature under heavy game stress for the card stabilized at a maximum of roughly 83 Degrees C. We note down the hottest GPU reading, not the average. The new card works with a temperature target much like Nvidia uses. The base value is set at 80 Degrees C.

With today's graphics cards, please make sure your PC is well ventilated at all times, this will seriously help you on the overall GPU temperatures. As you can see below, once the card reaches its maximum temperature threshold of 80 Degrees it will start throttling on the boost frequency as well as voltages and fan RPM.

We are stressing with 3DMark FireStrike scene 1 looped. As you can see, the GPU clocks down 66 MHz (variable) to be able to meet the temperature target.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
sirquasi
Adept I

Played some games even in ideal video card seems to get warm but temp on programs. Motherboard temp stays at 35c cpu goes over 30c video card seems to stay at 50-53c no matter what. I know some people change the thermal past on the video card and some say you can get better performance and -4c to -6c. does anyone know anything about the heatpads in video cards also has anyone heard of the graphite pads people are going to over thermal paste.  Recently bought Hunt showdown and it funny don't know why or how but its the first game I got were the video card runs cool playing it.

0 Likes

As long as you Video card temperature doesn't go consistently over 80c you have no problems. The card is running well within it temperature working range.

Activate AMD Wattman to configure your GPU card fans. Plus AMD Wattman give the most accurate temperature readings than other 3rd party software.

Someone like kingfish​ or some other knowledgeable person can instruct you on how to set up AMD Wattman Fan profile.

0 Likes

SPECCY is an excellent program to let you know what hardware and software you have installed in your computer if you didn't know. But I wouldn't trust SPECCY Temperature accuracy too much. Best to use something like HWMonitor or something similar or AMD Wattman for the most accurate temperatures for your AMD RX 480.

This previous thread may help from AMD Forums : What is the maximum safe operating temperature of the RX 480?

This review of the RX 480 : AMD Radeon RX 480 8GB review - Graphics card temperatures

copied from the above linked review concerning temperatures:

So with the card fully stressed we kept monitoring temperatures and noted down the GPU temperature.

• Radeon RX 480 - The temperature under heavy game stress for the card stabilized at a maximum of roughly 83 Degrees C. We note down the hottest GPU reading, not the average. The new card works with a temperature target much like Nvidia uses. The base value is set at 80 Degrees C.

With today's graphics cards, please make sure your PC is well ventilated at all times, this will seriously help you on the overall GPU temperatures. As you can see below, once the card reaches its maximum temperature threshold of 80 Degrees it will start throttling on the boost frequency as well as voltages and fan RPM.

We are stressing with 3DMark FireStrike scene 1 looped. As you can see, the GPU clocks down 66 MHz (variable) to be able to meet the temperature target.

sirquasi
Adept I

Yeah I think there may be something wrong with it idk I am going to try new thermal paste on it before I do anything else but it should ideal 40-47c it stays at 50-53c I don't over cloak and I play games fallout 4 hunt showdown still the same. I have checked with 4 different temp monitors but I noticed in the amd watt man its always 64% active.

0 Likes

A program on my pc was using it don't know why or what for but after using DDU for a reinstall it stays around 40-46c now and goes to 53c when playing games.

0 Likes
sirquasi
Adept I

what do you do with a card that doesn't display the right temp in any app and you know its hot. at 50-53c like any app I had looked at four different ones say the same even while playing games it stays just that but its hot to touch instead of warm before a game was played.

0 Likes

Do you have any airflow through your case? Any fans? 

0 Likes

yes two on top blowing out one on back blowing out one in front blowing in. I do keep the side case open at times. it helped a lot with the temp.

0 Likes
sirquasi
Adept I

Thermal paste seemed to be the main issue which I have become a believer in good thermal paste.45-47c and holding steady. First paste I used was a dark grey it was junk shoot up over 56c mins when the pc started after being off for a hour. The white paste great stuff don't know the brand didn't say on tube. One other thing I learned was best buy sales refurbed cards as new. Mine was messing a plate.

0 Likes