cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics

Highlighted
Elite
Elite

What is the normal temp for the hbm on a vega 56 mine hits around 81-84 on load while gaming (reference card)

What is the normal temp for the hbm on a vega 56 mine hits around 81-84 on load while gaming (reference card)? Is this safe? balanced is

about 75-80 and turbo mode is like 75-84

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

Re: What is the normal temp for the hbm on a vega 56 mine hits around 81-84 on load while gaming (reference card)

That's safe. Reference cards have horrid coolers, and with the GPU and HBM2 concentrated together it's going to get warm. That's also perfectly safe. Under 85*C is best on Vega cards because there is a chance the temperature reading may be faulty but I think they resolved that (amdmatt correct me if I'm wrong, TomsHardware did an article on it but it's been months ago), at or under 95*C is where you get throttling, and 100*C is emergency throttling if not full on VPU lockup and application crash for safety.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Big Boss
Big Boss

Re: What is the normal temp for the hbm on a vega 56 mine hits around 81-84 on load while gaming (reference card)

AMD reference cards run hot, ,which is why card makes all bolted on mass to dual fan coolers which make a GPU run much cooler with a lot less noise

I have serveral cards with dual or triple fans

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Elite
Elite

This is normal, but throttling does occur at stock configuration. That's why I spent a few days fiddling around with Wattman then checking performance and stability through 3DMark, and when I found that I couldn't stand the incessant high-pitched whirring of the blower fans, replaced the stock cooler with the aftermarket Morpheus II + 2 case fans.

Now my temps are at least 15 degrees lower with better performance overall.

0 Kudos