cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

redteam6
Elite

What is the normal temp for the hbm on a vega 56 mine hits around 81-84 on load while gaming (reference card)

What is the normal temp for the hbm on a vega 56 mine hits around 81-84 on load while gaming (reference card)? Is this safe? balanced is

about 75-80 and turbo mode is like 75-84

0 Likes
3 Replies

That's safe. Reference cards have horrid coolers, and with the GPU and HBM2 concentrated together it's going to get warm. That's also perfectly safe. Under 85*C is best on Vega cards because there is a chance the temperature reading may be faulty but I think they resolved that (amdmatt correct me if I'm wrong, TomsHardware did an article on it but it's been months ago), at or under 95*C is where you get throttling, and 100*C is emergency throttling if not full on VPU lockup and application crash for safety.

0 Likes

AMD reference cards run hot, ,which is why card makes all bolted on mass to dual fan coolers which make a GPU run much cooler with a lot less noise

I have serveral cards with dual or triple fans

0 Likes
jargon
Elite

This is normal, but throttling does occur at stock configuration. That's why I spent a few days fiddling around with Wattman then checking performance and stability through 3DMark, and when I found that I couldn't stand the incessant high-pitched whirring of the blower fans, replaced the stock cooler with the aftermarket Morpheus II + 2 case fans.

Now my temps are at least 15 degrees lower with better performance overall.

0 Likes