cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Mattis
Journeyman III

What is the highest temperature? AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT)

Dear Community, since Monday I am the proud owner of an AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT. Now I have played a few games such as Overwatch.

In Overwatch the temperature gets unusually high, 106° Celsius. Is this normal? In other games, the temperature of the graphics card does not get that high, but the transition temperature is high there. In Rainbox Six Victories, this was just at 110° Celsius.

What is still acceptable? What can happen? I am unsettled. I have water cooling for my processor, which is also from AMD. (AMD Ryzen 5700X)

Looking forward to an answer.

Mattis

0 Likes
6 Replies

The Radeon RX6700XT besides all RX5000 and RX6000 series GPU cards have a Maximum Operating Temperature (Hot Spot) of 110c.

These GPU cards have several Thermal Sensors and if any reaches and passes 110C the GPU will automatically slow down or throttle.

Your GPU card is getting up to Maximum Operating Temperature. Your GPU card was engineered to run up to 110c in normal use.

But I would check to see if your GPU card heat sink is dirty or dusty, if the GPU card's Fans are clean and air flow is not obstructed and your have good air flow inside your computer case.

When it reaches above 100c is it a constant temperature or similar to a temperature spike that only last for a second or two?

Is this a 3rd party RX6700XT or did you purchase it from online AMD STORE?

If it is a 3rd party GPU card I would open a Support ticket and see what they say.  Most likely they well say it is within its temperature range I imagine. But no harm in asking.

I would thing the average Hot Spot should be in the high 80's or low 90's under heavy loads.

Thank you very much for your reply. 

@elstaci wrote:

The Radeon RX6700XT besides all RX5000 and RX6000 series GPU cards have a Maximum Operating Temperature (Hot Spot) of 110c.

These GPU cards have several Thermal Sensors and if any reaches and passes 110C the GPU will automatically slow down or throttle.

Your GPU card is getting up to Maximum Operating Temperature. Your GPU card was engineered to run up to 110c in normal use.

But I would check to see if your GPU card heat sink is dirty or dusty, if the GPU card's Fans are clean and air flow is not obstructed and your have good air flow inside your computer case.

When it reaches above 100c is it a constant temperature or similar to a temperature spike that only last for a second or two?

Is this a 3rd party RX6700XT or did you purchase it from online AMD STORE?

If it is a 3rd party GPU card I would open a Support ticket and see what they say.  Most likely they well say it is within its temperature range I imagine. But no harm in asking.

I would thing the average Hot Spot should be in the high 80's or low 90's under heavy loads.

It's an third party RX 6700 XT, more specific, it's an XFX Radeon RX 6700 XT. 

I believe that the airflow is the thread. I have an Corsair 280X case, which looks amazing, but the airflow might be an problem. Any ideas? I don't want to get another case. 

0 Likes
CaligoVereor
Challenger

That seems quite high. What model are you using? Perhaps there's a fan curve that's set to "quiet" or something similar? You mentioned you are watercooling your CPU, but what about the case, is it getting good airflow? What were your previous temps if you had a different GPU in the same setup? Would be good to determine if this is a problem with that GPU or perhaps it's being smothered in the case.

I myself am also using a 6700XT (Sapphire Nitro+) and mine usually is at about 90 Celsius (hotspot) during "intense" games, I've never seen it reach 100. Like the person before has stated yours is still technically within its operating temperatures but barely, definitely worth figuring out what could be the cause. If it doesn't seem to be on your end (settings or poor airflow) contacting the manufacturer is what you should do.

0 Likes
AAAlex
Adept I

Did your fans start work at that high temp? They are not spinning for mine, so I'm curious if everyone got the same high-temperature issue.

0 Likes

Some interesting facts would be nice to know to get a better picture:

1. What is the game resolution you play in. 720p, 1080p, 4k, or higher (can make a huge difference).
  2. What is the FPS you play in.
  3. What is your overall graphical settings you have in the games you play (preferably from different brands using different engines like Unreal, Unity, Project CD Red, Bethesda, UBISOFT, etc). Example: Ultra versus Medium in Shadows, VSYNC on or off, there is so many settings that can turn a graphics card into a oven.
  4. What is the overall temperature in the room each day when you play? If you have the computer near other heat sources like consoles, TV's, radiator. Then we also have to take into consideration the weather, since playing on a computer in a colder country (Scandinavia, Canada, UK, etc) versus a hotter one (Africa, Australia, etc) can be a factor.

When you get a high temperature in a game, write up the current game settings you have and start lower them down one-by-one and see when the temperature go down. Then start to limit your FPS down to 60. Try settings like VSYNC. And final step, see what happens if you go down (on your normal settings you use in screen resolution) to 1080p.

Something might also be wrong with the airflow in the computer. Try for a bit playing with the "side-panel" removed and carefully for 4-5 min see what happens with the temperature. Naturally the "placement" of the computer can have a huge impact. Make sure it's not in a confined space.

The very best regards

U.

0 Likes

1. 1080p, my display only supports 1920x1080p with 165 Hz refresh rate. 

2. Depends on the game. In Overwatch with 150 FPS and in another games between 100 & 300 FPS. 

3. Almost in every game the highest settings possible. 

4. I live in the Federal Republic of Germany, so the Weather should not be an issue. Currently are 11° C outside. 

Thank you very much!  @Ugramu 

0 Likes