cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

techyinaz
Adept I

Weird Microstutter in Titanfall 2 and Apex Legends With Radeon RX 5600M

Hey guys, I wanted to bring this up mainly to the driver team at AMD, for some reason with Respawn Entertainment titles, like Titanfall 2 and Apex Legends -- which I play a lot of, there's some weird microstutter going on with those games, I've tried a number of different things like going to the lowest graphics possible, up to the highest to little effect.

I even tried different graphics, i tried the 5600M in my laptop and my iGP, same results.

I believe the issue is related to AMD's graphics drivers, so I hope someone can bring in some optimizations and fixes for the games, more specifically Apex Legends as that game is getting super popular. I tried other games like Shadow of the Tomb Raider, and they run butter smooth.

My laptop is a Dell G5 SE with a 4600H 8GB of RAM and a Radeon RX 5600M. Everything is up to date, including windows update, graphics drivers, bios etc. I also have the optional cumulative update installed which is said to improve lag in video games. Thanks!

Update: I also want to add that I've tested this against my main machine rocking a Ryzen 5 3600 and a RTX 2060 Super, and both games have zero microstutter and run butter smooth.

0 Likes
2 Replies
javierh
Journeyman III

Hey! did you ever solve your problem? I have now updated my graphics driver for the first time since 2020 and I'm experiencing the same thing

0 Likes

Hey, I did figure out the problem. turns out it was a result of a incredibly bad cooling design by Dell with the G5 SE.

The laptop causes the 5600M to spike to its max temperature of like 105C or something, and when the GPU hits that temp, the core clock fluctuates by up to 50% to keep temps in check. In other words, its slowing down by 50% and speeding up by 50% every few seconds, causing a ton of jitter.

So it wasn't graphics driver related for me. Hope this helps!

0 Likes