cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

SnowHat
Adept III

Weird issue with crashing apex legends

Hey all!! I hope by coming here I can have different perspectives so I can have this issue fixed but start, this hasn’t happened on apex before and started recently. Basically, I’ll be playing apex for like 15ish minutes and then I’m brought upon an error code and it’ll crash my game but this crash will either black screen my monitors and then go back to normal to reveal the error code or it’ll make my screens go wild. I have proof with the video embedded in the post and the error code is 0x887a0006: DXGI ERROR DEVICE HUNG. Any help will be greatly appreciated!!!

For some reason the video won't be processed, so i'll just send a picture of what my screen looks like when I say, it goes "wild". 

I also want it to be clear that I made sure I cleaned the inside of my computer including my cpu and gpu just to make sure it wasn't an overheating or dust problem. Safe to say I managed to get a lot of dust out of both gpu and cpu. I haven't tried since but I still would like to know why an issue like this would happen and how to fix it. 

IMG_2044[1]-min.PNG

357 Replies
perfctly
Elite

I have tried that, and it also doesnt work. I have not tried 22.8.2 yet as far as driver version goes, but I have seen that does not fix it either.

0 Likes
perfctly
Elite

We need either Respawn or AMD to take notice and fix this. There is nothing we can do as I have tried everything for 2 months now. Since MID JULY. PATHETIC AMD FIX IT

This is crazy man… it’s been a week and im losing my mind. Paying a $750 gpu to get this bull**bleep**, doesn’t make any sens, i give it 1 week to fix or come back with an answer or im selling this piece of crap gpu worth my left ball and go back to nvidea. 

perfctly
Elite

can anybody confirm if installing driver without adrenaline is a temporary fix?

From what I remember, I believe it doesn’t fix it fully just make less consistent for the crashes to happen. That could also be entirely false so take my reply with a grain of salt lol. 

0 Likes
benjiwade
Adept II

I installed 22.5.1 without Adrenaline and it has worked very well. One crash in 4 days. 

Well that is good to hear, but I would like if there was no crashes at all considering it never used to crash before this problem. I guess that is good news though. 

0 Likes

Two crashes within an hour of posting this yesterday.

I'm shopping 3070s right now. 

perfctly
Elite

something to consider: Are you guys on steam or origin?? I have been on steam, until today where I moved game files to origin where I played for 3 hours with no crashes. Was wondering if anyone else can try playing on origin to see if this is a fix. I WILL SAY however, the game did feel A LOT smoother on origin than it does on steam. I assume this has to do with it being the intended client the game was meant to be played on? Who knows. There was also a game update today that addressed a few non-related bugs. They could have "shadow patched" the game engine or something with this... idk all I know is since July 25th I have been racking my brain with  potential solutions for this for over a month now and I think I have gone crazy lol

I Can confirm it will also crash on Origin. I tested this theory out last week and I was fine for about 2 days. Then it started crashing. Been trying to find a solution for over a month now  

perfctly
Elite

So yeah just wondering A. what everyone is playing on, and B. if everyone is in fact on steam, try origin and post results

Thank You guys!!

Raidovski_47
Adept I

Hi, I have the same issue, my screen goes wild just like yours, i thought somebody hacked me the first time it happened… it’s been a week it started, forcing me to stop playing the game… Please let me know if somebody knows how to fix this problem and hopefully AMD reads and care about what the community says, I’ve seen posts of people posting the same issue 1 year ago… here We are 1 year later with the same issue smh

0 Likes
xtreeem
Adept III

Update from my side: still playing with adrenaline software on 22.8.2 version and it has not crashed in a while.

Was playing a lot during weekend 0 crashes, then took Monday and Tuesday basically off, played yesterday quite a lot and again 0 crashes even after update.

So I would suspect that Respawn has made some "silent" patch even before yesterday's patch as I literary have made no changes on my side and yet somehow crashes seems to have gone away for 3 days of random playing which was pretty much non existing track record before in S14.

I'm skeptical since I was crashing yesterday. However, I'm on 22.5.1 so I'll give 22.8.2 a shot. Has anyone tried pro drivers?

0 Likes

Wouldn’t put it past them but this would be VERY shady of them. Especially since they’ve been getting TONS of reports of crashing lately. It’s ridiculous how there hasn’t been an official statement from them regarding AMD crashes. I’ve also been playing the last 3 days since I moved to origin (was on update day 9/6 so could also be a coincidence) I haven’t crashed since playing on origin and since the update but that’s only with like two 3 hour sessions. Not a large enough sample size yet for me to say I’m good yet. It sucks getting on and always having that in the back of your head. Like I legit haven’t tried ranked and just have been LEAKING on kids in pubs. Lol

0 Likes

Str8 P1ssing 

0 Likes

Not sure if Origin will be a variable in this issue given I have played on it since day 1 and still experienced loads of crashes at the beginning of S14 and up till like last weekend.

Now the game is more stable than FPS in it back to that issue which probably will never get solved.

0 Likes

@xtreeem What launch options are you running? Also, are you running any Radeon options like Anti-lag, boost, chill, etc?

0 Likes

@RFMGraffix 

-preload -high -novid -fullscreen +cl_showfps 1 +exec autoexec -forcenovsync +miles_channels "2" -threads 12 +cl_interp_ratio 1 +cl_updaterate 128

Not sure though which are working which are not if we talk about commands except:

• novid = removes intro video
  • Cl_showfps = shows extra metrics in game
  • miles_channels 2 = runs game in stereo audio instead of (s@$!) surround sound

As for Radeon software - I think I have tried every option and combination in there and my conclusion is to disable as many of those as possible, use options "use application settings" as often as possible given Apex is not coded for AMD rather Nvidia software assistance.

Now picture quality at least is much more playable yet far from what I see streamers post online playing on Nvidia with all the shadow filters and what not.

Only thing remaining for me is color deficiency correction - I have removed some of the red and blue colors to make game more contrast (at least for my personal preference).

0 Likes

I got rid of most of my Launch options. Now I'm only running -dev and -max_fps 165. So far it's been 4 days and I've been stable. I might try putting -high on and see if it fails. 

0 Likes

I have the same problem in batlefield 4 origin but only in that game. But my screen its not like yours when the game crash. And for what i see, this error occurs since 2015

0 Likes
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

This makes me afraid to play the game. Can anyone confirm if this is fixed on RX 6800 XT?

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB

As far as I am aware, it is a thing with most AMD GPUs and I believe somewhere someone reported that it also crashes on the 6800 XT but again not confirmed. 

cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

That is unfortunate as I would very much like to get into this game. With crashes to desktop and artifacting even after the game has closed it doesn't seem worth it. It's sad because when the game launched I had a blast. I just didn't have friends who played, and now that I do, this is happening. It's just bad timing I guess.

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB
Raidovski_47
Adept I

Hello everyone, i might’ve found a solution to our problem, soo far 0 crashs, everything seems okay. Here’s the link to follow instructions: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/gpu-601

Pretty easy and quick to do, once you are done with it, you will have to reinstall AMD Adrenalin again since it will be deleted after using the AMD cleanup utility in the link above. Worked for me and hopefully works for everyone out there struggling! Back to grind

Keep me updated on this, we are looking for more than 3 hours of continuously playing without a crash. The crashing seems to happen usually around 1-3 hours ingame. 

I hope it works. I am ready for September drivers if they come out with any this month. Give me 22.9.1 with a fix for this and I would be ecstatic.

RFMGraffix
Adept I

Updated from 22.5.1 to 22.8.2 after Xtreem mentioned it was working. So far I have roughly 5 hrs of playtime with no crashes yet. Previously I would crash every game. However, I've been here before so I'm not calling this fixed yet.

22.8.2 still crashes 

0 Likes
xtreeem
Adept III

Played yesterday like 8h session - no crashes.

Seems like some kind of a silent fix was indeed applied from Respawn's side given my drivers 22.8.2. where around for a while and did crash before but not as of past 3-4 days (couple of those I did not play).

perfctly
Elite

Im on 22.8.1 now and if we think 22.8.2 is the most stable I will DDU right now and report back when the install is done and freesync and all the other trash is disabled and set up right

@goblinmode that sucks but imma go with xtreem becasue he and I have been here for a month troubleshooting and thats BIG news, also @xtreeem what GPU are you using? 5600XT THICC II here

@perfctly5700XT (it hurts to say it out loud while playing Apex on locked 90 fps to avoid crazy +/- 100 FPS drops)

0 Likes
perfctly
Elite

22.8.2 installed, settings set to personal preference. Launching game after I type this and plan to put in at least 4-5 hours right now. I will report back after. Praying to the gaming gods (me)

perfctly
Elite

@Weird my 5600XT gets 120-140 stable FPS with dips like when I’m diving and in the ship to like 80-100 but it’s very solid for apex when it’s not crashing lol. I’m also on 1440p as well. Now your CPU definitely plays a factor. I have a 5800x. I played earlier for like 4 hours taking breaks going afk even to the point where the server disconnected me. So far one session with no crash. Going to test again for another 4-5 hours in a little bit. It does seem like some silent patch was implemented but I can’t say for sure. 

@perfctly  yeah I have been hearing the fact that 5 series GPU paired up with 5 series CPU do improve the situation with FPS.

YET I am not quite sure **bleep** is going on there because:

• based on Radeon software itself my CPU does not go up to 100% utilization in Apex while GPU is
  • temps are normal, nothing close to 100, just over 70 most of the time
  • 5 series card used to be a bang for buck deal aka budget option while 5 series CPUs definitely can't be called like that so in other words AMD says and proves in Apex that if you want your budget card to work you actually need next gen above average budget CPU = yeah now it makes total sense

In my case no matter what settings if uncapped I got up to 260 FPS range, dropship was 80-90 usually, yet my average per extensive period of time (week / two weeks) was like 230 because in weird map places e.g. opening a supply bin I got drops up to 140 FPS which is massive and same goes with close distance fights.

Same now, even on capped 90 FPS which are there most of the time my average over ~month is still 83 which is so frustrating - the card that goes up to 260 can't manage to get stable 90... I wonder how low should I go to get actually stable stable FPS in this game.

#1650TI4TW

0 Likes
solid_exc
Adept II

If you think you fix the game you are wrong
There is no FIX
I play without any change and the game for two days 0 crash
Then yesterday 3 or 4 crash after 10 hours of gameplay.
EA / RESPAWN have to fix that and they are doing NOTHING
Even there is not a single mention of the issue in his trello board from allmost 2 months.
 still praying to this issue happens to every streamer some day.

@solid_exc  the only issue is that as far as I know there is no popular enough streamer on AMD GPU so even if that happens it will be some low level one EA / AMD and Co just do not care about

xtreeem
Adept III

Yup just crashed as well, first time in 3 days, no changes nothing, just happened again...

And now it is full on 2 out 3 games hardcrashed! Wiiiii https://youtu.be/KS-5Qmd1yCk

pleasefix
Adept I

Ive given up allready on trying this myself, feels like my computor taking damage everytime the crashes comes, you all should be bit carefull about this imo, (if you cant afford new gpu/cpu or whatever may start to burn soon)

How long will it take for amd or ea to just reply?

I dont care if they fix it today, but atleast "we looking into it" would be a nice way of communicate with your users one might think

It really is nonsense at this point, with how long this bug has been going on and the fact that the computer is probably taking damage from these types of crashes is insane. I wish there was a fix that would go out by now but I guess they just want our computers to break themselves ugh.