cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

selacimorfo
Journeyman III

we detected a driver timeout has occurred on your system

I have a radeon rx 5600 xt and this message has appeared 5 times.

When this happens, I cannot play any type of video (YouTube, Facebook, in any browser and even videos saved in my own files).

If I restart the PC everything is fixed, but I would like to know how to fix it and what is the problem.

For now it has not happened while I play  games, it has happened while in Chrome or even on the desktop.

10 Replies
mackbolan777
Forerunner

If you're not using the 20.8.3 driver, than you'll want to try doing so. The newer drivers aren't so hot for the 5000 series cards. 

AMD Radeon™ RX 5600 XT Previous Drivers | AMD  Scroll down to the 20.8.3 and download it but don't install it yet. 

Get DDU from: Display Driver Uninstaller Download version 18.0.3.5 (guru3d.com)  At the bottom of the page look for the closest mirror to you and download that but don't install it yet.

Ok, disconnect from the internet and reboot into safe mode by holding the "shift" key while selecting "restart". At the blue screen select "advanced", "startup options", "safe mode", no networking is needed. The PC will reboot, enter your PW or pin to get to the screen. Now install DDU and run it, selecting to uninstall the AMD GPU driver. Default options are fine. It will uninstall the driver and reboot.

Now install the 20.8.3 driver you downloaded and see how it works. Oh and if you still have an issue, list your full system specs in your reply.

"It worked before you broke it!"

Hey.

Have the same problem when I open a project in Adobe After Effects 2020. Went through all the steps you described there. It ended up with that the software doesn't crash any more, but the AMD message still emerges while opening a project in AE. 

Device characteristics are:

- HP Pavilion Laptop

- AMD Ryzen 5 3500U with Radeon Vega Mobile GFX  2.10 GHz

- RAM 8.00 Gb

- Windows 10 Home 64-bit

I am absolutely baffled. Have been pursuing this issue three days in a row.

If you have any leads, I would be very appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Hey guys. Just wanted to let you know I've managed to solve the matter by installing Adobe After Effects 2021 and uninstalling previous version (2020). 

excuse me, i have same problem now. Since I was upgrade my ram to 16gb my driver always timeout when I play some game in 30 minutes or longer and when my laptop was Idle in long time

Asus tuf fx505dy

AMD Ryzen 3550H, Radeon rx560X

0 Likes

I have the exact problem with the new bloody AMD Rayzen 5 5500u, I have done anything still unsolved. Its ridiculous but I can not play a video on my brandnew laptop! could anyone help me please?

0 Likes

your laptop uses dual channel ram or single. i have the same problem. when i upgrade 8gb ram to 16 dual channel my laptop has the same problem but when i use laptop built in ram (not new ram) my laptop don't get the problem. my laptop asus tuf fx505dy ryzen 5 3550H, radeon rx560x 16gb ram. i think amd must fix this bug

0 Likes

My laptop support dual channel ram, but it has 8gb right now and I have not upgraded it, I think it's not a matter of being dual channel or not.

I've done sth that seems to work at least right now. It's simple, no adrenaline software, no screen blackout and crashes. Use ddu and uninstall display driver of your machine, then download the driver from AMD website(not the newest), run the file and let it extract its files after finishing extraction, press cancel bottom and do not let it to be installed. Then go to your device manager and manually upgrade the drivers, here you just need to address display adapters to extracted files which are in AMD folder. There is a video on youtube, for more details you can watch it

0 Likes

you have some link i want watch the video. i hope can fix this problem because when i use 8gb ram my laptop it's ok never get this problem. imo every person have different problem

0 Likes

Ok, so I've had this problem with my 5600xt since I bought it, and I've tried many fixes except downgrading BIOS on the card.  Whenever I remove all drivers using AMD remove utility and reinstall the latests drivers it does work fine... for awhile, but then the timeouts return.

So why did it work well to begin with`? and then I read about the Shader Cache,  which is removed when reinstalling but comes back once running the game.  Removing this 'cache' seems to fix the problem for me, or at least greatly improve it. Its a very quick fix so give it a try.

Ok, so download the AMD graphics driver removal program and run it to remove the current drivers. Then reinstall the latest drivers (just in case, better to start clean).

If you launch the game now and play it should be ok without timeouts (if not then it may be due to other problems).

The trick from now on is to remove the cache before everytime you play. Using the Radeon adrenalin software, click on Settings (top right cog wheel icon) and then choose 'Graphics'.  Next Choose 'Advanced' and now at the bottom you should see something about removing 'shader chache memory'.  Do this everytime before playing a game.  It is possible to disable cache using the windows registry apparently but I have not tried this.

I've only tried it for a couple of days so it's a bit early to say, but so far so good :). I  could never just start the game and let it idle before, always timeout after awhile but now it work fine, even in 'New World'

0 Likes

Ok. so previous post was a bit hasty :(.   At the moment, I have reverted back to reinstalling the driver on every boot (if I will be playing) and emptying the shader cache.

Question remains though, why does it play better after installation of the drivers?  I should add though, even after reinstallation and if I play while having other load intensive programs running, the timeout can still happen. But that may be due to my lower spec rig (i4770 cpu, 16GB DDR3).

0 Likes