cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

etln01
Adept I

Washed out videos when using GPU video acceleration

Is anybody else having issues with video playback as of the last maybe 3 driver versions?

All my systems running various AMD GPUs are experiencing the issue. Any application such as Netflix, Kodi etc is displaying washed out colouring to how it should look. Its really noticeable in the blacks as they look grey. Doesn't seem to matter if the screens are set to low or full range RGB, or YCbCr pixel format. I can mitigate it by setting the monitors to the wrong RGB range value but then everything else is off.

It was doing it for me on the 1903, 1909 and 2004 on the various systems.

My GPUs are R9 380, HD 8330 and R7 on various computers.

Seems like other people are experiencing the problems on the later cards as well from reading other posts on various websites.

I have put a bug report into AMD through the reporting tool on the later drivers.

1 Solution
etln01
Adept I

I have updated to 20.9.1 and the issue is now resolved. Video playback is now as it should be.

View solution in original post

14 Replies
etln01
Adept I

Screenshot (14).png

0 Likes
fyrel
Miniboss

Have you run the Calibrate display color app from the windows control panel?

0 Likes

Thanks for your reply fyrel,

Both my monitors on the computer I took that screenshot have calibration profiles applied and have been calibrated with a ColourMunki Display and DisplayCal. That screenshot was from Kodi and was taken pushing Windows + PrnScn on the keyboard. That is what Windows is displaying on any video using GPU video acceleration like on my computers with AMD GPUs and running that latest drivers. If I turn DXVA2 acceleration off in Kodi the correct result is displayed.

I have tried changing the calibration profile in windows back to the default but it makes no difference.

0 Likes

In the Radeon software.

What video profile are you on?

Is custom color disabled?

Are you using HDR?

There is a known issue with that listed in the patch notes that might be related.

With HDR enabled, Windows® desktop may experience flickering, and performing a task switch while in a game may cause colors to become washed out or over saturated.

0 Likes

I should mention that the computer with the HD8330 isn't using a calibration profile as it is a media pc running on a calibrated tv.

The video profile is set to default on all 3 computers and HDR isn't in use on any of the computers, I don't believe those GPU's will support it anyway.

The computer with the HD8330 hasn't been used recently for about 1 Year, It didn't have the washed out video playback issue until I upgraded it to the latest driver. I think something is setting the video playback to the wrong reference range regardless of what the monitors output is set to. Especially given it is visible in screenshots like the one I have posted previously.

0 Likes
etln01
Adept I

I upgraded to the 20.8.2 release Today and the issue is present in that version also. However I decided to revert back to the 20.4.2 and can confirm it doesn't have the issue. The playback is as it should be. As you can see in the picture taken with Kodi the reference range isn't displaying any signal past the reference black level.

Something is incorrect past this driver version.
correct video reference range 20.4.2.jpg

0 Likes
rkovic17
Adept I

having the same issue, made a thread about it. Never had it before. Its 100% driver related. Disabling Hardware acceleration in chrome "fixes" it.

etln01
Adept I

I have updated to 20.9.1 and the issue is now resolved. Video playback is now as it should be.

on RX 570 for me the last driver without this problem is 21.10.2, i have to reinstall the drivers if i want to watch movie or play the new game, what a shame.

Same problem here with Ryzen 9 5900HS GPU.

0 Likes

Same on brand new Asus Rog Flow x13 2021 (I bought it couple of weeks ago) with Ryzen 9 5980HS. It's hard to determine when exactly the bug (don't tell me it's not a bug, ok?) occures.8f070ddb730fd8a1d9421b0ad65f0e06 Enabling and then disabling Vivid Gaming Color Enchancement in AMD Software: Adrenalin edition fixes problem for some time. But then the problem repeats again and again.

12193b33677780f82af9d6ea3c17f2bcAnd it doesn't look like those fancy vivid color correction is a root because when issue occures there is no shades on this test picture. Just four flat bright rectangles. With enabled Vivid color correction I'm able to distinguish every square on image above.

AMD please fix this issue ASAP cause it's annoying and makes me disappointed in your production every time it repeats.

0 Likes

PS Disabling hardware acceleration in chrome (as suggested above) didn't fix the issue.

0 Likes

Sorry, AMD. I take back everything i said. It's nothing to do with drivers. After hours of investigation of reddit yesterday and today  I found that  there is not only AMD in words ASUS RoG Flow X13 with AMD Ryzen 9. If you know what I mean

For everyone who will read this in future: there is hotkeys in ASUS Armoury Crate. One of them changes color profiles (default, cinema, racing, other gamimg blabla). The most of them looks like washed out or very perverted. FN + V. Enjoy.

Thank you for sharing this, I have an ASUS Zephyrus duo 16 and this color issue was driving me nuts and reinstalled AMD and many other drivers several times and was sure that it was related to AMD's display driver cause it turned back to normal when I toggle on and off color deficiency correction in AMD Display setting, Only to find out it was lo and behold Asus Armoury crate

Anyways this fixed my issue

0 Likes