Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Tricczyy
Adept II

Warzone stuttering with 6900 XT

Hey everyone!

I've got this problem (which I can see in this forum that a lot of others are also dealing with) with stuttering in COD Warzone.
These are my specs:

Ryzen 9 5900x
MSI x570 Tomahawk
XFX Speedster Merc 6900 XT 16GB Black V2
32GB 3600mhz CL 14 ram
2x1TB m.2 drives
850W Corsair power supply.

I'm playing on 1440p 240hz monitor.

When I got the card I wasn't experiencing as much stuttering as I am now. This only happens when I play the big map Caldera. It's especially noticeable in the beginnings of every match.
I usually get above 200-230 FPS in most areas of the map, but some I get 170 (Fields). The stuttering really kills the enjoyment of the game. I've read and heard from several other people that they are experiencing the same issues. Is this just an AMD problem or is it the games fault. I've played other games that doesn't have this issue.

I've tried both overclocking and underclocking. Underclocking helped a little bit, but didn't get rid of the issue.
I've done a fresh install of windows and tried older GPU drivers (using DDU)
I've tried disabling SAM to see if that was the cause, but no.
I've tried changing the values in the game files like the Renderworkercount and the Videomemoryscale. That does help boost my general FPS, but it doesn't get rid of the stuttering. Currently I am using: Renderworkercount = 6 and Videomemoryscale = 1.2. I've tried lowering the VMS, but that only made the stuttering worse in some cases.
I've tried increasing the render resolution in-game from 100 to 110, 120, 130, 140, 150 and so on to see if that helped. I've read that it has solved it for others, but in my case I only get a lower FPS and keep stuttering.
I can't even list all the things I've tried changing to get this solved...

Please AMD, get this sorted. This might be the last AMD card I'm ever going to buy. I've never spent this much time trying to solve such a stupid issue with any other GPU.

458 Replies
mengelag
Volunteer Moderator

Precision Boost Overdrive = Auto processor overclocking @DimkaTsv

Ryzen 7800X3D - RTX 4090 FE - ROG Strix B650E iGaming - 64gb 6000mhz G-Skill Neo - Arctic Liquid Freezer ii - ROG Loki Platinum 1000w SFXL - 5TB of Crucial P5 Gen. 4 NVMe - NR200P Case - ROG PG48UQ OLED
0 Likes

Yeah, i know what PBO is. Basically by default it is on everywhere, as it is used to allow power limits to go above stock 65W or 105W. By default my 5600X have 76W power limit because of PBO.
But POB is either typo from his side, or something different, and i wanted to know which one was it.

0 Likes
Mushbeck
Adept III

What would be the equivalent on an intel system? Also could you upload a vid with 1% and 0.1% lows and framerate graph and frametime graph on?

0 Likes

I don't even know equivalent on AMD systems). PoB = Path Of Building from PoE

0 Likes

I think @Carnal is referring to Precision Boost Overdrive for the CPU. 

I thought so as well and tried myself. 
No difference. Both ways framepacing is trash. If you are staying still (aka sniper mode) you get up to 110-140 fps 1% low (150-180 avg), but if you are actively moving (especially if not at middle of map) you can get from 40 to 90 fps 1% lows really easily

Also oh boy... it is so annoying, when 90% of people just use controller in this game. Easier time with recoil, i suppose? 

0 Likes
andripus1991
Journeyman III

To you and anyone else who is having issues with Warzone, please save your self hours of messing around for no reason and go search on googlke for SlothyTech and book an appointment with him. He will sort out everything and make your game butter smooth.

I swear thats the most worth $$ you've spent for your PC .

0 Likes
Mushbeck
Adept III

highly doubt there is a simple fix that has being missed for this issue my dude.

0 Likes
mike-p
Adept III

Disabling PBO doesnt change anything for me.. still stutters

0 Likes
DimkaTsv
Miniboss

Tbh after all research it is one of 3 possibilities
1. Warzone engine is trash (likely) and gives CPU unstable load leading to sudden 1 frame time spikes (and overall more inconsistent frametime). 
2. Warzone doesn't like AMD CPU for some reason?. . .
3. There is some driver issue, which specifically is unknown. 
Issue is that i can get both great times and trash times on same setup basically. Which means that there is, well... Consistency issue. 
I may try my RTX 2060 setup to compare frametime consistency, but it won't be that soon. Tbh without graph or seeing numbers i wouldn't think it is that bad. Freesync helps mitigate it, i guess? 
Like, these are "normal" frametimes... Normal in Warzone, i suppose... (And yes, i decided to setup Afterburner to show even more data)

Spoiler
DimkaTsv_0-1662497680458.png
DimkaTsv_2-1662497734148.png

And these are example of bad frametime pacing. Well, more of a completely inconsistent one. 

Spoiler
DimkaTsv_3-1662497832153.png

DimkaTsv_4-1662497838246.png
DimkaTsv_5-1662497856683.png
DimkaTsv_6-1662497886934.png

DimkaTsv_7-1662497919463.png

I also wonder. https://youtu.be/I66h7ZMa3v0
It isn't Caldera, BUT... he have more consistent frametime and close to 100% GPU utilisation. Which doesn't seem to be case for me, as mine is around 75-93% usually. 

0 Likes

For example rebirth Island runs super smooth 200-250fps no stutters 

Caldera + fortunes keep -》 stutters all time.

Different Developers Teams Made the maps..

0 Likes

Hi

ok - so what you are saying - same game - different maps - different behaviour. Some maps perfect fps and no stutters and other maps - stutter hell. And people chase AMD and their drivers ???

Focus on the game and the game developers ! If all games work perfect and some does not - it could be game engine - could be optimized for nvidia and not with AMD in mind. As I see this - AMD has been some steps down the ladder for many years and that is reason why most games has been optimized for nvidia. Perhaps this will change now. 

Not saying that AMD has perfect drivers - room for improvement for sure but for me - it took some time to get this butter smooth experience. 

I stated it before - but I will buy AMD cpu and gpu again - no doubt !

Mushbeck
Adept III

Pretty much in the same boat . Have to wait for amd to have a larger market share for graphics so that devs optimise more consistently for radeon gpus. Cpus are great have sold literally 100's of thousands of dollars of amd cpu based pcs so happy to recommend their stuff but for gpus its just not quite there (although not their fault).

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have 6700xt strix and Warzone is freezing for few seconds on rebirth island and fortunes keep 1-3 times during match. I too have constant stuttering on caldera.

Do you guys have same problem with freezing?

0 Likes

no hard freezes. Freezes could be  alot of things, id start with checking network issues than possibly background task cuasing some kind of interupt.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I forgot to say with every freez I hear buzzing sound from headset after second its all great. I belive my internet is fine and how to check background tasks? I did recently install windows but I have only freezing in Warzone and never in other games. I hope someone from AMD will answer to say if they know something about it. I am happy to provide any info.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

......remove this post its mistake.........

0 Likes
bdubs
Journeyman III

So I found a fix for myself and wanted to share. I'm running a 6600 XT and what worked for me was to disable cache sun and cache spot shadows in the game settings. 

Other things I tried were updating to the latest graphics driver and limiting VideoMemoryScale to 0.7

Hope this can help someone else

0 Likes

Does not Help for me

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you. I did change VideoMemoryScale to 0.7 and Played 1 game on every map without game freezing.

Now warzone on fortunes keep and rebirth island works perfect, even caldera feels better and playable but not perfect.

I did post my problems(only in warzone) with 6700xt  little above your post.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

It will still happen but duration of freez is shorter.

0 Likes
Mushbeck
Adept III

post benchmarks please.

Kingdew
Adept I

Hey guys is there any news on a fix coming in the near future or do you guys reckon amd will just brush it off till warzone 2? I recently bought a 6900 xt and I'm very very close to returning it. Been a console gamer my whole life and my bloody console runs caldera smoother than my gpu that Costs more than the whole console. Serious problem. Hopefully it's put on their priority list or I'll be going to nvidia. Really wanted to try give amd a shot so they can try get abit more of a market share but its hard when they won't even get back to me though their contact links.

I hope warzone 2 will not have this issue.

Otherwise i will sell my card too

0 Likes

return it if possible.

0 Likes

Hi

why do you think it is an AMD problem ? Why not the team behind the game ?  All maps work perfect - except one map. Also saw youtube video - someone stated that engine is broken and you cannot go past 200 fps - you need to limit it to something lower below 200.

what about all other games you have - stutter problems or run fine ? A driver is a communication thing between your hardware and windows and a game calls upon this. Not sure if that game use dx11 or 12 but newer games use dx12. Again this dx12 is a set of stuff you can call in a games code. What if you code something that is specific for nvidia cards - kind of bending the rules ? AMD fault or dev team fault ?

All this new drivers all the time because a new title come out - we tweak new game at expense of what ? 

As former nvidia card owner - my experience was - my cards performance was getting worse and worse in same games - throughout the driver versions - so my card did not age well.

With AMD and my 6900 xt - it has been the other way around better and better. As for warzone - I have tried it - not a game I play - but all maps I have tried I have zero stutter. But ok I also have amd cpu, gpu and freesync monitor so perhaps that also have something to do with it !

0 Likes

Only thinking it's an amd problem because this is mainly only happening on amd systems. I can't figure out what's creating this problem, been through so many tutorials and tried some much stuff off forums. When I checked last my cpu (5600x) shouldn't be bottlenecking my 6900 xt at 1080p and capped to 165fps for freesync, my card also does this in fortnite and forza aswell it's not just a warzone problem. Stutters are really savage. Says I'm still high fps but looks/feels like 40 fps I chucked my brothers rx580 in and it way more stable on warzone just way less quality and fps. But it was stable no major hitching. The engine isn't great but I'm not trying to push it up past 200fps. Rebirth will play fine and I can uncap rebirth and run 200+ without a problem smooth as butter. Just really doesn't make sense.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

How can you even return working gpu?

0 Likes
mike-p
Adept III

How do u explain that not everyone has the problem with an amd card.

I have also amd cpu amd gpu and freesync monitor and unplayable stutters.

Again I state - there is a reason for stutters and it is important to see from what source - gpu or cpu - do you get the stutter. The way it works with render - cpu start preparing the frame - then hand over to gpu for heavy work. If cpu and gpu  are not in perfect sync you will get stutter. Could also be cpu building shader cache for dx12 and store on disk - could be bad calls for cpu cores and the cpu park problem. Stuttering could be sooo many things. 

So again - one needs to find root for stuttering if gpu, cpu or even memory problems. I have zero doubts about stuttering out there. I had it myself when I started with the 6900 xt in BF5 and dx12. Part of it was to wait it out until all shaders was built in BF5 - other was the ISLC (std by list cleaner) and park controll software. Now my BF 5 and BF 2042 flies away and very low frame times. In BF5 and dx 12 I hit 170 ish on ultra and 240 on low and no stutter and delay.

BF2042 was crazy also at one point - but part of this was Dice and again other was the cpu making the stutter. Here it was easy to tell when you went to console type graph and pick first one with 1 as option - here you get graph for cpu, gpu, and what else. Everytime I had massive stutter it was the cpu color each time and never the gpu !

So in whatever game you play you need to make sure where do you have the stutter and not take it for granted that stutter is the gfx card !

Oh other important reason for my stutter - had onedrive installed and pr default it syncs / uploads your document folder. Unfortunately Dice have picked that folder for BF2042 and the shader cache - so everytime it made new shaders / read shaders it had to sync onedrive - very very bad !!

So what games do you have stutter in - all games or just some ?

SAM on or off ?

Game installed on same drive as your pagefile or on different drive ?

Assume you only use SSD and not old school harddrive !

Possibly could be a shader storage issue. Disk usage was the only tangible metric i could see between smooth rebirth gameplay and stuttering mess on caldera  ( also stutter was almost always there when going thtrough parachute animation or entering a buit up area). Still there was no obvious way to stop that from happening so could not confirm if that was the issue. 

My money is more towards cpu bottleneck but still doesnt explain why the issue persists at high resolutions ie gpu bound or why dropping in a nvidia gpu pushing the same framerates does not have the issue.

mike-p
Adept III

hi,

ISLC is always running.

Park controll i did check it

Sam is on, but i tried both on/off

tested PBO on / off

game is installed on second SSD drive, not on the main ssd with the OS

i do not use onedrive or something like this.

i tested different driver version.

if i limit the fps to 144fps, still having stutters

i tried different render worker count oder gpu memory usage..

Stutters are just in Warzone

0 Likes
Mushbeck
Adept III

curiosity, can you try putting your paging file on a different drive to your game drive. 

0 Likes
Kingdew
Adept I

Hey guys has anyone tried disabling tpm? Apparently if you downgrade to Windows 10 and disable tpm you can get rid of stuttering/hitching on amd systems. At work at the moment  I'm gonna give it a go with fresh drivers and windows install the sarvy will post if it helps out. 

0 Likes
mike-p
Adept III

i tried it but not with a fresh OS install.

doenst change anything

0 Likes
DimkaTsv
Miniboss

Well... Tried Windows 11 (WDDM 3.0 and stuff).
Not much of a difference from Windows 10. 
Basically from frametime graphs this is only notable thing. It isn't stuttering, but terrible frame pacing making overall FPS feel much lower. May it be that Warzone runs D3D11on12? Without solving draw call queueing problem (Nvidia have such thing, while AMD is heavily CPU limited by single main thread).
But as for stuttering or hitching, no... i hadn't noticed them, yet again. Just awful, AWFUL frame pacing consistency.
Here is another my example. 
https://youtu.be/HW7o2VnCpBc
And example of REALLY bad framepacing, notice how frametime graph barely moves actually. But i do have GFX_OFF disabled, so my GPU doesn't go in deep sleep at all (still only 10-13W in idle)

DimkaTsv_0-1663236166688.png

And to be honest. I am looking at NVIDIA GPU on caldera, and they almost never show framepacing. Just Average FPS, 1% (sometimes) and frame time. But frametime spikes can be so small, affecting FPS by a lot, which makes frametime graph less representative compared to FPS graph
But i found few examples...  With Caldera (yay 95% of videos with benchmarks aren't from this map)
3080 + 10900k. Only frametime graph, but it have good setup with circular buffer of 1% and .01% lows, which is more representative
https://youtu.be/LdywipxroT0

3080 + 5900x. No 0.1% lows, but circular buffer for 1% and frametime graph shows truth. Same terrible framepacing. May be tiny bit more consistent in some scenes, but overall. . . .
https://youtu.be/7I9WVlZzFkQ

3070ti + 5600X. I guess there were some shaman dances with Nvidia Profile Inspector, because i have no idea how he gets 200 FPS on average... But i think it is PACIFIC map, and not Caldera, as i don't play Warzone that much. Still 1% low is around 120 FPS, while average is about 200. Was it circular buffer? probably no. Linear with benchmark mode on button press
https://youtu.be/w8wB6EWGdgc

3090ti + 12900k. (Sheesh). 324+100W of power to run 1080p?... Anyways. Youtube butchered colours, so frametime graph is awfully visible. Also no framepacing graph. But it does have circular buffer of 1% and 0.1% lows. And it shows, even though 1% lows are quite consistent (well, this is 3090 vs low res, ofc), it still have terrible pacing, because 180 avg / 125 1% low and 44-77 0.1% lows relationship is still there. 
https://youtu.be/VICa9U9XsBo

So it seems issue is in Warzone engine, and not AMD GPU. Maybe some optimisation still could be done, though.

0 Likes

Your examples specifically, likely a limitation of the infinity cache on AMD.

Check out FrameChasers on YouTube, pretty eye opening on how far you can tune rigs for Warzone

14900k • Z790 Apex Encore • 4090 • 2x24Gb-8000 • 1200 Corsair Shift • 420mm Arctic II Push-Pull • Noctua • Fractal Torrent • Guilded.gg/justifiers
0 Likes

I guess... I will try out bit more GPU FCLK (and maybe even SOCCLK (to sync 2/3), if i would be able to do it without issues. 
But it doesn't change fact, that frame pacing is basically in same trash box as Nvidia GPU ones...  

UPD: It was bad idea. My GPU doesn't like having FCLK more than 2000((( But for time it ran, i saw no difference, This frame pacing happens for example when you on parachute. 

0 Likes

Any idea why framerate graph on amd gpus can be a dead straight line then very obvious stutter(frame pace issue) than back to a dead straight line . where nvidia framerate graph is more of zig zag constantly?

0 Likes

could literally be anything

• Could be the monitoring software timing just happens to register when there's technically a huge dip
  • Could be a software conflict
  • Could be the game/game engine
  • Hardware bottleneck
    • ram, storage, cpu, gpu processing/throughput/timing
  • Thermal throttling

If we're talking an AMD system the first things I'd be looking into isolating is software conflicts. You'd do that by uninstalling literally anything that isn't absolutely necessary. RGB software, Discord, etc. once you get down to the lowest amount of processes possible, then you've pretty much excluded the potential that it's a software conflict issue and can continue on from there to drivers/hardware

14900k • Z790 Apex Encore • 4090 • 2x24Gb-8000 • 1200 Corsair Shift • 420mm Arctic II Push-Pull • Noctua • Fractal Torrent • Guilded.gg/justifiers
0 Likes