Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Tricczyy
Adept II

Warzone stuttering with 6900 XT

Hey everyone!

I've got this problem (which I can see in this forum that a lot of others are also dealing with) with stuttering in COD Warzone.
These are my specs:

Ryzen 9 5900x
MSI x570 Tomahawk
XFX Speedster Merc 6900 XT 16GB Black V2
32GB 3600mhz CL 14 ram
2x1TB m.2 drives
850W Corsair power supply.

I'm playing on 1440p 240hz monitor.

When I got the card I wasn't experiencing as much stuttering as I am now. This only happens when I play the big map Caldera. It's especially noticeable in the beginnings of every match.
I usually get above 200-230 FPS in most areas of the map, but some I get 170 (Fields). The stuttering really kills the enjoyment of the game. I've read and heard from several other people that they are experiencing the same issues. Is this just an AMD problem or is it the games fault. I've played other games that doesn't have this issue.

I've tried both overclocking and underclocking. Underclocking helped a little bit, but didn't get rid of the issue.
I've done a fresh install of windows and tried older GPU drivers (using DDU)
I've tried disabling SAM to see if that was the cause, but no.
I've tried changing the values in the game files like the Renderworkercount and the Videomemoryscale. That does help boost my general FPS, but it doesn't get rid of the stuttering. Currently I am using: Renderworkercount = 6 and Videomemoryscale = 1.2. I've tried lowering the VMS, but that only made the stuttering worse in some cases.
I've tried increasing the render resolution in-game from 100 to 110, 120, 130, 140, 150 and so on to see if that helped. I've read that it has solved it for others, but in my case I only get a lower FPS and keep stuttering.
I can't even list all the things I've tried changing to get this solved...

Please AMD, get this sorted. This might be the last AMD card I'm ever going to buy. I've never spent this much time trying to solve such a stupid issue with any other GPU.

458 Replies

I find it very strange. 99% other games no stutter only this game and only this map ? What if warzone coders made an explicit call for some nvidia special thing that only nvidia can do ? Amd fault or coders fault ? 

I know that both amd and nvidia always make new drivers arounnd new game release but should not be needed. Dx 11 or dx12 should be bunch of std rules you follow when you code. But what do I know Im not a coding guy. Just find it strange that a game / one single map is drivers fault !

0 Likes

Im still super curious if everyone with these cards is having this issue they just arnt noticing it as they are running higher res/ higher in game settings making the stutter less severe. The more i look at benchmarks online (ones which show 1% lows ) i see the same poor perfromance, super high average framerates but god awful 1% and 0.1% lows. 

Managed to get my hands on at gtx 1080 and will be testing on my system next week to see if i can narrow down the issue (ulikely). Most likely ill just sell my 6800xt for as much as a i can and hold onto the 1080 until 4000 series drop. Cya amd.

0 Likes

I don't understand all the commotion. Yes it stutters sometimes, but it does on nvidia cards too. All this bull**bleep** about "going back to my older nvidia gpu (no cpu bottleneck) is driving me crazy. It's not that it's not playable anymore. I play this with a lot of friends (50% amd and 50% nvidia) and I experience more issues at nvidia. I saw videos of users (this forum) complaining here. When watching I don't see problems. It's a super old engine and cpu limited game.Get over it and wait, Activision is moving to a new game engine.

There will probably be some tweaking possible in the driver, but this is not the main problem. (also for Nvidia)

Just to give some advice.
Play on "Fullscreen" mode and remove MSI afterburner. The last gives me more problems. Use HWinfo and for overclocking the built-in amd software.

@Zolexif you find it "playable" you`re simply not in the same boat as us. It does not make fun playing with these severe stutters. But recording the gameplay in 60fps simply doesnt make the problem visible.

This is what I did to get rid of the Stuttering with 6900xt.

Undervolt the GPU and in Warzone graphic setting set Texture resolution to lowest and Texture Filter Anisotrophic to low seem to get rid of the stuttering completely.

I tried undervolt the gpu without lower the settings but I still have some micro stuttering.

You can also just lower those graphic settings without undervolt GPU and it seem to work fine also.

Perplexes me that multiple people have come into this thread, clearly have not read the whole thread than believe the problem is all some how in our imaginations. Than offers advice that has already being disproven and even if it did work wouldnt be an acceaptable solution for such a high end product. Even worse show how inept they are by stating "i cant see stutters in vid " holy **bleep** do you not understand how refresh rates and recording framerates differ, literally look at the graphs. Kindly test **bleep** yourself and be constructive or **bleep** off.

0 Likes

Hi

there is no doubt that some people have stutter in this game - or in fact - only this single map and others do not. Whatever the reason - what puzzles me is - all point at AMD / Nvidia - despite the fact that ALL other games work with their drivers. Why is no one pointing fingers at developers of the game - they are after all the ones that code and make use of DX 11 or DX 12 or whatever this game use.

You can have 50 games all behave and works perfect and yet one single game / map and then it's the drivers fault ??

As one guy above mentioned - old game / engine and could be here the problem is. Google and search youtube and you will see that both AMD and Nvidia owners have this stutter issue in this game / map and some sort of solution.

Lets take battlefield 5 and the dx 11 and dx 12 thing. DX 12 stutters like crazy for some people and works fine for others - here all agree that it's dice that have bad implementation of DX 12 - and dx 11 is the way to go.

For some it works to set a fps limiter. So instead of going beyond 200 fps set it to 144 or whatever and see - most important must be fluid gameplay with no stutter than to have this 200+ fps.

I will not 100 % rule out that there could be something in the drivers - 22.6.1 is the one I use now - 22.7.1 worked bad so reverted here. But there is a reason for stutter and so far all my stutter has been related to cpu - every single time and not GPU. 

windows game mode = off

amd anti lag = disabled

ULPS = disabled

Min clock raised to 2100 mhz + mem clock raised to 2100 and fast timing.

I use bitsum parkcontrol and the lasso tool and my computer has never been running this great ! Zero stutter !!

@Zolex using my buddy’s rtx 3080 completely fixed my stutter issues. It is amd and there lack of driver support. Screen recording makes it very hard to notice. The hitching is there and I had my buddy sit down on my rig to play it to make sure it wasn’t me and he was blown away how bad it ran. So please unless you are having these issues or are not here to offer help or a solution please don’t respond to the forum.

I don't experience any issues with my 6900xt on warzone caldera. I know it ran very badly on myne Nvidia GPU. You know everyone is switching to APEX legend. The map is a mess.

I did found a video and this seems to help with the stutters you guys are expierence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxvUVcgBfDI

0 Likes
Shawnquinn88
Adept I

Ive been dealing with this issue for over a year now. 5950x 6900xt with 326gb 3800mhz c14. Asus x570 dark hero, and switched to x570 asrock taichi. 

My 1% lows are awful. Ive clean wiped windows, switched drivers, chipset drivers, bios updates, etc. No overlays etc. Power modes set to ultimate performance etc.

In modern warfare the frame rate stays high but game it feels stuttery. Caldera is a mess but rebirth is fine since its more gpu bound to like modern warfare.

The biggest thing that has helped me is disabling ftpm in windows 10. Its not perfect but helps. I also know the game uses more memory the longer you play. Its deffinitely an amd issue with the game engine. Ive messed with anything you can imagine to fix it.

Would love for there to be a fix. Pretty unhappy with my 6900xt.

0 Likes
Benhora
Adept I

Hello bro if you can just email me in benhoura.zizo@gmail.com or send me ur discord we have the same problem and I actually fix it after 25 days 

0 Likes

if you have a possible fix, pls post it in here this thread, as there are a lot more who have this problem and are searching for solutions.
Before you post your fix pls check briefly if the fix was already posted in this thread.

mike-p
Adept III

Hi, after reading 7 pages still no fix for the problem.

2 days ago i bought a new pc, coming from i7 9700k - 2080s, without stuttering etc.

now i have 5900x + 6800xt and stutters in warzone the hole time.-

it doesnt matter if i play rebirth oder caldera.

Vanguard multiplayer + MW Multiplayer + Pubg runs without any stutters.

i tried everything.

- turning fTPM off -> no effect

- reducing clock rate minus 100mhz / 200mhz and more -> no effect

- testing 3 different graphic driver -> no effect

- running the game in Dx11 -> no effect

- freesync on -> no effect

- tried low graphic settings etc. -> no effect

the only thing which makes the game playable -> turning vsync ingame on and limit the fps to 144. also in AMD driver need to turn off vsync.

AMD need to fix this, this must be a amd specific problem, because going back to my 2080s everything runs smooth.

Mushbeck
Adept III

Did you try the 2080 with the 5900x system ? Just curious 

0 Likes

yes, if i put the 2080s into the 5900x system. It runs without sutters

Adept I

Your second m.2 slot must be empty, if you have storage there remove it and try again if there is any stuttering.

0 Likes

my second m.2 slot is empty.

i have only 1x m.2 ssd and a normal ssd

0 Likes

Even tried removing my m.2 boot drive entirely than installed windows on a 2.5 inch ssd . No change .

0 Likes
mike-p
Adept III

Any news from the @amd Team?? We need a solution.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

you enabled all exploit protection with secureboot and TPM 2.0?

no antivirus or third party overclocking software. no third party codec packs free open source trash only official licenced codecs? you didnt install fake browsers or obsolete chrome and used EDGE BROWSER as that is built using chrome nightly so why use worse multimedia less integrated to the OS and file explorer browsers like chrome at all instead of edge which you are permanently always using anyway for everything that isnt inside the browser window. YOU ENABLED All EXPLOIT PROTECTION? especially randomized ALSR to ON forced /dynamicbase. you ensured your DEP is working, sometimes theres issues with spyware try disable it.

you SFC.exe /scannow with administrator rights from powershell or cmd or terminal? you DISM.exe /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth (then same dism command but /checkhealth then same again but /restorehealth)

you cleanmgr.exe /veryverylowdisk or did cleanmgr.exe /sageset:9999999 then cleanmgr.exe /sagerun:9999999

went into  windows apps and made sure that you uninstalled C++ redistributable and .net core windows desktop runtimes and downloaded them only from official sources.. games like baldurs gate 3 try sneak in ancient ones that are older than windows defaults and halve your FPS.

you ensured you're AMD adrenaline software was all set to default by clicking factory reset.

you tried with and without the AMD chipset drivers installed. some apps attack the security software of the AMD drivers which slows things down terribly.

you also tried it with a clean install with just the adrenaline driver and the game in particular installed? 

I suggest you read my post about infinity stones and tessellation on the AMD forum and i suggest you read my posts about config.ini it will fix your everything.

try reset your bios to factory defaults too by power it off unplug power and clr cmos jumper or maybe pull cmos battery from the board. then update your bios from the board vendors site, soon as it updates maybe secure erase the drivers and load factory defaults you may need to adjust the defaults so that its in the correct PCI express mode or enable things like resizeable bar and above4g decoding. consider enabling PBO and only use ryzen balanced plan its faster than windows ultimate performance. but dont lower your power or use eco modes and try and game. You may have too many AMD driver features enabled or set wrong in your graphics settings. Ultra means turning on most things not EVERYTHING and many features such as vsync or openGL triple buffering or any sort of buffering is actually crippling your performance. Enable the ingame FPS monitoring for titles like borderlands 3 or doom eternal and see detailed GPUframetime. get them down to 5-8ms or lower then come back and talk to me.

0 Likes

Have already tried most of these but will give them another go later  today. Although this still doesnt explain why a gpu swap fixes the issue. As most of these fixes should effect all games on a system or at least the same system regardless of installed gpu.

Tried it all apart from the bios reset and windows fresh instal (tried multiple times)  becuase ive tried multiple bios before and re bar off an on. No change. Also couldnt find your post on config ini file .

0 Likes
Mushbeck
Adept III

Just tried my gtx 1080 and wow suprise suprise runs fine. Obvs way worse performance but average 120-130 fps 97 1% lows and 87 0.1% lows on caldera while using comp 1080p settings.

0 Likes
Benhora
Adept I

Hello again after 3 days playing caldera map I can confirm that I fix my problem with the game 

1- undervolt the gpu from 1200 to 1121 

2-set min frequency -100 from max coreclock

3-in graphics settings...Radeon chill set min fps to 85 and max to 143 I have (my monitor 144hz ) activiting this option help me allot with stuttering in caldera map ,and the game run much smother everytime when lowering the voltage 

Just to let you know acti

didn't work me these 3 steps. any answer from AMD working on their drivers for warzone?

mike-p
Adept III

today i tried 4 different driver:

same stuttering for all of them.. on rebirth island i have no stutters...

only caldera and fortune keeps map...

mike-p
Adept III

@Matt_AMD

Any updates regarding the stutterings?

Do u work togheter with activison for modern warfare 2? warzone 2?

Mushbeck
Adept III

Hey guys, was wondering if anyone has disassembled their card to check chip and mem contact with heatsink? Saw an old thread about a 2080ti with a crashing issue and it turned out to be no thermal past on a part of the die was the issue. Long shot i know , but something like this might explain why some people with these cards dont experience the issue while others do.

0 Likes

But if the thermal Paste would be a case, then i would have a Temperatur problem. 

My graficard temp is not over 72 degrees 

Yeah, my thoughts aswell. Although they did mention that temps looked normal before immediate thermal shutdown. Showed a pic of die and there was a section of the die at the top which had missed out on any thermal paste. Maybe the sensors get a temp which is good becuase most of the die is good but there are cores in the exposed section which suddenly get hit with load and run really hot until it gets to bad the card notices and immediately throttles or shutsdown. Might explain why rebirth is good (less demanding?) and caldera bad (demanding enough to cross some kind of threshold). I know it sounds dumb, just found the thread interesting and dissasembly is one of the last things i have left to try.

Also make sure to use hwinfo to check junc temp not just gpu temp. Junc temp is ussually the hottest. Mine can even sit 30c higher than my gpu temp when i stress test my card. In game gpu temp is junc temp btw.

0 Likes

Yes the junction temp is At 72 for my card.

Other games run smooth on high settings without stutters. For example Pubg or rainbow six. 

I can Not explain why rebirth is running smooth and caldera / Fortune does not.

Also if i play caldera i get over 200fps but if Feels like i am playing on a 60hz monitor + stutters.

On rebirth everything runs smooth 200+ FPS 

I will not open the card, because i will lose the warranty

But you can tell us your experience 

yeah same, dont want to lose warranty. 

0 Likes
Sieish
Adept I

On start Type in disk cleanup select C then select "DirectX shader cache" then click ok. try that.

0 Likes
Mushbeck
Adept III

!!!BEST TEMP FIX FOUND!!! 

Saw a random vid today where a benchmark channel fixed poor frametime by limiting frames with riva tuner (download with msi afterburner). Thought might aswell give it a go dont see why it would work different to in game fps limit or adrenaline but cant hurt. Dropped into caldera and wow, capping frames to 160 gives me a near perfect game play experience. i say near becuase there are still stutters at the beginning of the game but they are WAY less severe and as the game goes on i eventually end up with a perfect play experience. Game locked at fram cap 1% lows are around 157 0.1% lows are around mid 140s. I know it is still a kick in the teeth having to limit the card but 160 frames is still a very good experience. 200 cap seems to work but the higher i limit the more severe the 0.1% lows are and the longer the game takes to stabilize. Your mileage may very tho.

btw i have a bottom and a top clock set and all low power modes removed with more power tool.

Please give it a go if you can and report back.

@Matt_AMD 

For me the game is only playable if i am turn vsync ingame on and Limit the fps to 144 ingame

And disable vsync in adrenalin

0 Likes

i´m glad it worked for you!!
i always stayed away from riva tuner as i read that it can cause problems, but i´ll try it!
I completly stopped playing warzone bc of this, just sad.

Question: do you only use riva tuner and dont use afterburner or are you useing both and disable die gpu confiq in amd software? and are you using free sync to go along with the frame cap?
(also which video did you watch for riva tuner setup?)

0 Likes
Matt_AMD
Community Manager

Just a quick post to say that the issue is still under investigation. Of course once I have something more substantial to share, I'll update the thread to let you all know. Appreciate your patience in the meantime. 

mike-p
Adept III

Guys can u share your kind of graficcard custom model who has the stutter problems?

Maybe it is always the same?

I am using a gigabyte 6800xt 16gb Version

5900x ryzen + asus 570x  gaming mainboard

G skill 3200mhz 4x8gb 

0 Likes

Sapphire pulse 6800
5600X (PBO undervolted -15 all core)
msi B550 Tomahawk
crucial 3600 mhz cl16 4x8 

pretty sure the differemt modells and setups aren´t causing this.

0 Likes

with my old system it looks like my xfx rx 5700 xt thicc 3 ultra was the problem that i cant play warzone. 

after i lower the core and vram clock warzone dont crashs "every" time  when the map  was loading
every other game was running fine (pubg, valorant, cs:s, cs:go, battlefield, forza horizon5, .....)

Ryzen7 5800X 4,95ghz; LLC3; 420mm Liquid Freezer2; Corsair RGB Pro SL 32gb/2 - 3600mhz CL18; Sapphire RX6800 Pulse OC; Asus XG27AQ 165Hz; MSI X570 Gaming Plus PPT:137W EDC:135A TDC:95A; BeQuiet! PP 730W
0 Likes