cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

VSR refuses to work, please help. Refresh rate limited to 30hz.

I've recently bought an AMD RX 580 and was hoping to use the VSR facility on my 1080p TV to play some older games in a higher resolution but downsampled. However, any resolution I set Windows 10 to, that is above 1080p, will only allow me to select either 29 or 30 hz and interlaced. I have the most up to date driver 18.12.1 and I also had this with 18.9.3. I have searched and seen people with 4K monitors with HDMI 1.4 being limited to this refresh rate, but that is not relevant in my case, as I would like the 4k internal rendering to downsample to a 1080p 60 output. If I leave GPU scaling switched to on, it will allow higher resolution to be selected, with the refresh limitation. If I switch off GPU scaling, the only higher resolution I can select is 2048 x 1536. I have searched high and low to try to find a solution as I'm tearing my hair out, and I'd really appreciate if somebody could help me out please.

Message was edited by: Chris Wood

0 Likes
6 Replies
jimtucker
Adept I

Hi chris, I have exactly the same problem as you, I'm using a samsung 1080p plasma, 

The only driver that works with vsr properly for me is 18.5.1 adrenalin addition.

You don't need to change windows desktop display setting (from native) to enable vsr game, and if those older games don't have higher options available in their menu, after enabling vsr, then it's not possible.

I'm not using tv as display, so not sure on the other......

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
jimtucker
Adept I

I have tried windows 7 and windows 10 both have the same problem on later drivers so it is driver related 2048 x1536 is a 4.3 aspect ratio my screen is 16.9

0 Likes

So the games I have tried are Dead Space, The Witcher 3, The Witcher 2 and The Forza Horizon 4 demo. I hadn't realised that AMD GPUs differ from what I had understood was the situation with Nvidia DSR which from what I understand doesn't require specific game support. It seems strange that none of the games I've tried support it. It's also odd that as @jimtucker states, it apparently works on an older driver. I guess I'll have to keep testing on games as I go. Just so I'm clear, I switch VSR on in the Raedeon settings, GPU scaling to off and scaling mode to preserve aspect ratio? Thanks for your replies folks, I really appreciate it.

0 Likes

Hi chris , Why not try the 18.5.1 drivers, just google "amd previous drivers" and download from amd website

and report back .

Thank you so much jim! I just installed 18.5.1 and everything bar the Forza Horizon 4 demo all now me to select higher resolutions! FH4 demo won't load due to it being older drivers. I can hold off buying the full game as I'd intended until AMD sort out these VSR issues with drivers newer than 18.5.1. I'm guessing that's down to the game coming out a couple of months ago. In the mean time my other games work a ok. Once again thank you so much for your help.