dubii
Adept I

Video TDR failure [Rx 5600 XT]

I recently upgraded my pc.

At first I bought: 

B450 tomahawk max

Ryzen 5 3600X

Corsair 3200 8x2 16gb ram

and used a old video card from a friend rx 570 8gb.

I recently bought msi radeon rx 5600 xt mech oc 

When I play video games like: Call of duty, Destiny 2, No man sky or just browsing on start screen I can get a chance that my screen will stutter a bit following up by a black screen.. I still hear the audio from the game or discord.. after that it will stay that way and I have to hard reboot or it will go to blue screen with stop code: VIDEO TDR FAILURE. What failed: Atikmpag sys.

I'm not the best in computers software or doing bios updates.

I know my b450 tomahawk max has the recent bios included on the package. On msi live update 6 it says motherboard version 3.40

I updated windows 10

I updated drivers with radeon software (current version 20.3.1.)

I updated manualy the rx 5600 xt mech oc msi driver with msi live update 6 current version: TV381MH.822

I reinstalled windows 10.

So sometimes I can play for an hour or more and sometimes i get this black screen after 5 minutes.

Is this a common failure with rx 5600 xt or is it something else? I know people had this in January and februari 2020 so maybe they fixed it? 

Greets Yorick

1 Solution

Hey it stopped thanks to that. I switched to 20.2.1 driver and now to new one 20.4.1. Still no issue.

View solution in original post

14 Replies
trek
Elite

I have had similar issues too with 5700XT, not as often as you - random black crash followed by stuttering and system hang, system freeze while pausing gameplay (this one really hurts), etc.  In my case

• driver reinstall with https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/gpu-601  helps that it is not necessary to reboot, application just crashes (and does not take down OS) and it is possible to kill it from task manager
  • disabling freesync helped a lot - since then no crash yet - I hope AMD is able to solve this issue, because freesync is main reason I bought AMD card

AMD bad reputation related to drivers quality is fully deserved, previously I owned only Nvidia cards and Nvidia sorted these driver issues 10 or more years ago. Such instabilities are unacceptable.

I believe these issues are driver related mostly, not faulty hardware.

I guess your right about driver related issue. 

I don't know the problem so I don't blame them. 

Will /bow for software team if they fix it soon if its driver related that is.

0 Likes

They will fix it if people tell them via report form AMD Issue Reporting Form 

I read release notes for recent Adrenalin and they think that they fixed some issues, but it is not the case (e.g. with Doom Eternal which I am playing). But you must report these issues via form otherwise they will not know.

Second source of issues is defective PSU, but I suppose it is not your case, because rx 570 works fine and it has similar power requirements?

0 Likes

I use 5600 XT. Got newest PSU so no

0 Likes
c0d1ngjammer
Adept I

You have to downgrade you drivers to Version 20.2.1. The Version 20.2.2 and 20.3.1 are creating a blackscreen when running games. When downgrading to 20.2.1 choose option "Factory reset" in the amd adrenalin 20.2.1 Driver Setup. Try it...worked for me.

Ok I did that will try if it works

Matt_AMD
Community Manager

Can you try disabling hardware acceleration in Discord and any web browsers and let me know if that stops the issue?

0 Likes

Hey it stopped thanks to that. I switched to 20.2.1 driver and now to new one 20.4.1. Still no issue.

Matt_AMD
Community Manager

Glad to hear that.

You can try to enable hardware acceleration again in 20.4.2 in each app one at a time and test for some time to see if the issue comes back. Try to narrow down which app, if any on 20.4.2, if still causing it. 

This issue still appears, 10 months after launch. I am so close to RMA my card... I have an RX 5600 MSI Mech OC. The guys at MSI have been very helpful, but it seems this kind of issue is not their fault. The worst part is that now the driver team at AMD are probably busy over their heads with the 6000 series drivers, so anyone with a 5000 card will have to wait for quite some time before these issues are stabilized. Just one question with a yes or no answer, if you please: Is this TDR error caused by Freesync?

I can live without Freesync for a while, but not with a crashing every half hour card.

I agree...I've had this RX 5600 XT for 10 months as well. Driver issues and random system reboots. Games freezing. I went a while without any of these issues, and thought my problems were over, I was completely wrong. I'm hoping to see if disabling FreeSync will help for now. But I bought it for freesync and spent the money on freesync compatible monitors.

Hopefully our issues will all be solved, soon.

0 Likes

I can confirm that, in my case, Freesync was the problem. Once disabled, I haven't experienced any issues. I do have a Freesync monitor myself, so it's a bummer that I have to disable it, but, at least in Romania, I cannot get anything higher than a GTX 1660 SUPER for the money I spent on the RX 5600 XT. In my particular case, the lack of Freesync functionality is unfortunate, but it is the best performance for the money I can buy. I will live without Freesync until a fix will be available in the drivers. I do have to note that my DP cable is not the culprit here, since it worked perfectly with my old RX 580.

0 Likes

Just as an update, that may help some people, I have managed (so far) to get a stable gaming experience with my RX 5600 XT.

While playing Batman Arkham Knight, I got some weird crashes referring memory that could not be referenced. I first thought it was my RAM, but upon changing the sticks to two others, the problem persisted. I then realized that the memory that could not be referenced was not the RAM but the VRAM. My card is a MSI RX 5600 XT MECH OC, running the last vbios from MSI.

With the latest bios, the memory clock was pushed to 14000MHz, which seems to be too much for some cards. Some may support that frequency, but mine didn't. As you know, there is a big problem with GPU supply these days, so returning the card was not an option for me, since in Romania(where I live) buying a new one costs twice what I paid for mine.

What I did is flash the initial vbios (supporting 12000MHz) to the card. I still had to manually set the GPU P3(boost) clock to 1560MHz, since Radeon Software was setting it to 1780MHz, for some reason. At this point I had a stable, though slower experience. I had to flash the old bios, because with the new bios you could not underclock the VRAM.

My next step is to test stability with the VRAM set to 13000MHz. It should work, but I still have to test it.

0 Likes

Just an update... All issues have returned, even with the 12GHz vbios. Furthermore, I get OCCT video memory test errors. I'm sending it to service once again.

0 Likes