Graphics Cards

suhailkt
Journeyman III

Video TDR Failure (atikmpag.sys) in Windows 10 version 1903

I am using sony vaio laptop having the following specifi specifications

4 gb ram

2gb amd readon hd 7500m/7600m graphics card

latest windows update 1903 build

after clean installation of latest veersion of windows i cant install my graphics driver. whenever i installed my graphics driver the BSOD of Video TDR Failure (atikmpag.sys) happens. The os work fine when the amd display adapter is uninstalled. More over nowadays windows itself brings up amd drivers in windows update so than i cant update my os. What to do? please resond me asap

5 Replies
jawaharsam
Journeyman III

suhailkt I am also facing the same problem in my Sony VAIO laptop (SVE15137CNB) with AMD Radeon HD 7500M/7600M GPU after installing Windows update 1903. Also, I have tried to install older versions of Windows 10 like 1607, 1809, Windows 8.1 but still running into the same kind of crash (BSOD of Video TDR Failure - atikmpag.sys) when the graphics driver is installed. It used to work fine in those previous Windows versions. Not sure if 1903 update broke my GPU at hardware level itself.

My Workarounds:

1. Disable the graphics card in Device Manager instead of uninstalling it. This can be done by booting into Safe mode. But with this, screen brightness cannot be controlled and I am not able to project my screen to a second monitor.

2. I tried Ubuntu 16.04 LTS where the screen brightness can be controlled and it also supports second screen projection.  Just to note, it is not working with newer versions of Ubuntu like 18.04 and had to disable the graphics driver with 'nomodeset' boot command line parameter. But screen brightness and projection won't work in this.

Please let me know if you have found any solution for this.

#atikmpag.sys‌ #Win1903Update #amd radeon hd 7500m/7600m

0 Likes
tupan
Adept I

Hello everyone, I'm having the exact same problem.

My specifications:

Dell Inspiron 5547 Laptop (43BH342)

Windows 10 Home Single Language 64-bit (Version 1909)

Intel Core i5-4210U CPU @ 1.70GHz

8GB RAM DDR3

GPU AMD Radeon R7 M260 2GB DDR3 (Driver version: 26.20.13031.18002)

Intel HD Graphics Family (Driver version: 20.19.15.4531)

Intel(R) 8 Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller (Driver version: 13.0.0.1098)

It's an old laptop, but up to now I have used it with no issues. It happens whenever I try to play any game, and sometimes when launching Steam or watching videos on VLC. Here's what I've already tried to do:

- updating GPU drivers on AMD website;

- updating chipset drivers on Dell website;

- reinstalling drivers in Safe Mode;

- replacing atikmpag.sys file;

- installing older version of GPU driver;

- clean reinstalling GPU driver with DDU;

- clean reinstalling Windows 10.

All supposed fixes were found on these websites:

Video TDR Failure (atikmpag.sys) on Windows 10 [Solved] - Driver Easy 

https://troubleshooter.xyz/wiki/fix-video-tdr-failure-atikmpag-sys/ 

I cannot go back to a previous Windows 10 build, but the issue was also happening with build 1903. Also when the BSOD happens and the computer restarts, the system doesn't reconize the GPU (it is not shown in Device Manager), only the integrated graphics card, so I have to turn off the computer and turn it on again for the GPU to appear.

I don't know if this is a hardware issue (troubleshooting and checking for problems on Device Manager returned nothing) or a driver compatibility issue with Windows 10. If anyone has any other thing I can try please reply.

#atikmpag.sys‌ #video_tdr_failure (atikmpag.sys)

0 Likes

I have the same issue but I have solved it. I have tested hardware with AIDA64 Extreme with Stress Test option. I have tested every hardware separatedly. I found a RAM failure. I have take away and tested every slot separately. One RAM was wrong. Also AIDA64 solved an issue with a TDR low idle.

Interesting. Gonna try that this weekend.

0 Likes
tupan
Adept I

Months in and still no solution. Replying to post the event viwer description of the error.

- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
- <System>
  <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP" Guid="{9c205a39-1250-487d-abd7-e831c6290539}" />
  <EventID>411</EventID>
  <Version>0</Version>
  <Level>2</Level>
  <Task>0</Task>
  <Opcode>0</Opcode>
  <Keywords>0x4000000000000000</Keywords>
  <TimeCreated SystemTime="2020-02-28T19:27:44.923937100Z" />
  <EventRecordID>495</EventRecordID>
  <Correlation />
  <Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="3244" />
  <Channel>Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP/Configuration</Channel>
  <Computer>Alfredo</Computer>
  <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
  </System>
- <EventData>
  <Data Name="DeviceInstanceId">PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_6900&SUBSYS_06401028&REV_00\4&102d2eee&0&00E4</Data>
  <Data Name="DriverName">oem224.inf</Data>
  <Data Name="ClassGuid">{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}</Data>
  <Data Name="ServiceName">amdkmdap</Data>
  <Data Name="LowerFilters" />
  <Data Name="UpperFilters" />
  <Data Name="Problem">0x15</Data>
  <Data Name="Status">0x0</Data>
  </EventData>
  </Event>
0 Likes