cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Mathisxy
Adept I

Video lagging on Vega 8 Graphics

I have the problem that after 3 up to 30 minutes watching a video anywhere (local or in youtube f.e.) it starts to lag very heavily and the frames seem to queue up.

Mostly the GPU Usage goes from around 30-40% straight to 100% in taskmanager, caused by the thread that is encoding the video.

This only happens with windows 10, but not with Ubuntu 20.04, so I assume there is something wrong with the drivers.

Any ideas how to troubleshoot this and solve it?

My system:

AMD Ryzen 3200G

MSI B450M Pro-vdh max

Crucial 16 GB RAM DDR4 at 2666 Mhz

250GB Kingston SSD

650W Seasonic PSU

11 Replies
mackbolan777
Forerunner

How can we improve the performance of AMD Ryzen's Vega 8 integrated graphics? - Quora

It looks like you might need more RAM in Windows. 8-16GB and supposedly you can adjust it in BIOS to allocate more system RAM to the GPU. Ubuntu and other Linux distro's are usually light on RAM use in general compared to Windows. They article above talks about how using 2 sticks if possible for dual channel config and running at least 8GB will improve the situation.

"It worked before you broke it!"

Thanks for the reply.

I allready had 2GB video-memory allocated. I just also forced it in BIOS, but unfortunatly it didnt solve my problem.

--> Screenshot 

Im using 2x8GB Ram, so this should not be to less for this build.

Then you're left with the option to add a dedicated card, nothing fancy is needed. Other things to try is make sure all back round apps are off but Windows Security, they turn on as needed. Turn off any Windows Services not needed, there are some guides online that can help you decide which ones are not needed.

Make sure you have the latest chipset driver for the ICPU/motherboard installed from AMD's site.

I know you bought the ICPU because it has a built in GPU but with a slight 400Mhz Ramdac, you'd be better served with a low end video card. Even an older R7240 for the $40 range (pre-owned) would be fine for YouTube. 

Those ICPU's work ok in laptops but I find them sub-standard for desktops. As you can see by your CPU usage, the CPU is doing more decoding than the GPU portion. Then there's the alternative of using Ubuntu to watch videos, not an optimal solution but it seems to work.

The socket FM2 APU's seemed to have decent video if you bought the A-10 or better but that's not what you have.

Thanks for the reply.

I checked the drivers and manually installed the very latest for chipset and igpu, but it didnt help...

Here is a screenshot of the GPU usage in Adrenalin while the video is lagging heavily: It seems like the usage is going down or is somehow throttled when the video begins to lag.

The temperature is normal - what could be another reason for this?

CPU, RAM, VRAM are all good.

Buying a Graphic Card is no option for me, because it seems to me like the cpu is somehow broken.

Do a clean install of windows. It worked for me.

@Mathisxy wrote:

Thanks for the reply.

I checked the drivers and manually installed the very latest for chipset and igpu, but it didnt help...

Here is a screenshot of the GPU usage in Adrenalin while the video is lagging heavily: It seems like the usage is going down or is somehow throttled when the video begins to lag.

Buying a Graphic Card is no option for me, because it seems to me like the cpu is somehow broken.

0 Likes

It once happend with my acer aspire 3 a315-41 ryzen 5 2500u vega 8 after a major windows update i also had ubuntu installed in dual boot, i also got stuck at BSODs whenever i tried to fix the issues but then i tried a clean install of windows using a usb. Everything is awesome now. Hope it will work for you too.

@Mathisxy wrote:

Thanks for the reply.

@Mathisxy wrote:

Thanks for the reply.

Use @godofevil229 's idea of a clean install of the latest Windows version and do turn off all back round apps except for Windows Security. I researched and this IGCPU is only capable of 40-60 FPS in 720p or whatever in 1080p, not even recommended in reviews I looked at. One showed light gaming on lowest settings in 12 games at 1080p getting 20-30 FPS.

Lag in YouTube is not uncommon as well because of the video's rely more on the CPU than the GPU for decoding. So this means when you see lag or FPS drop, it's the CPU bottlenecking as it decodes the video. Video codec means a lot whether or not a particular video will play smoothly or not. Check your internet speed as well, there's been a recent rash of slow upload speeds as ISP's are rolling out upgrades. Try a free TV show or movie from IMDB and see how that plays back. Here's a link to an honest review:

Ryzen 3 3200G Review - The Streaming Blog

You can feel free to RMA the CPU but I doubt that any performance gain will be had. Not from YouTube especially. They used to use Flash for their video's but recently that was discontinued so they're using HTML5 and other codecs that are more CPU oriented. Also it depends on the bowser you're using. Edge uses "hardware acceleration", which will utilize both CPU/GPU automatically, other browsers you need to tick off in their settings to use "hardware acceleration". I think you'll find it's one of the other possibilities like reinstalling the OS, internet speed problem related to your ISP, video codec used, turning off back round apps, etc. 

Thank you for your suggestions!

I finally sold the processor now, because I couldnt fix it, even with help by the AMD support.

I tried f.e. uninstalling the graphics driver with the DDU Display Driver Uninstaller and reinstalled it manually (downloaded from the website) without Firewall and Antivirus.

had you tried a clean installation of windows? 

0 Likes
alseu
Challenger

One of my home machines is based on Ryzen 3200G and it suffers from the same issue.
Youtube 1x speed playback or watching Twitch (no matter the resolution) eventually results into heavy lag until the page refresh. (during these events system usually get's unresponsive and it's often not something that can be done quickly)
GPU core and each CPU core usage aren't maxed and are not any close to be maxed out according to hwinfo64 or msi afterburner monitoring.
It happens both at stock settings and when overclocked (4000mhz core clock, 1700mhz gpu core clock, 2x8GB 3466mhz RAM)

Windows 20H2 with all updates
2GB allocated
Latest bios
Clean chipset and video driver installation haven't helped
Temperatures are in check and don't exceed 65C
It's not ISP bandwidth limitation since there are other computers at home that don't have such problems

Obvious guess is that it's related to Radeon Software

I suggest to everyone with the same problem report it to AMD by launching their bug report tool within the Radeon Software

RomanS1
Journeyman III

Recently I solved this video lagging during play video on my Nitro 5. AMD drivers is useless, but You can overcome AMD integrated GPU and rerout playback to second NVidia GPU very easily: System>Recovery>Fix problems without resetting your PC>Other Toubleshooters>VideoPlayback/RUN>Open video playback setting>Display > Graphics. 
Select problem You want to solve - choose program You want to reroute to NVidia GPU, instead of using AMD. And that´s it! 
Don´t forget install K-lite codecs pack FULL (recommended). You´ll never see any lags again.

0 Likes