cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

bigjoe11a
Adept I

Video Card Match, GTX 960 Matches a AMD ??? ???

A lot of players have told me to get an GTX 960 video card. well I been a AMD fan for 20 + years. I didn't want to get some thing other the AMD video cards sense I have their motherboards and CPU's. What AMD video card would be a match with a GTX 960, with at least 4 to 8 gbs of vram. I have a AMD R9 270 video card and there's only like 2gbs of vram and I have issues playing Games like Space Engineers and some other game like it. Just a lot of lag. The game that's a big issues is Modded Minecraft 1.7.10. My FPS is nothing faster the 10FPS. I just don't have $300 to spend on a video card. The card I have I only paid $150 for it 5 years ago. Any help would be great. Thanks

BJ

0 Likes
10 Replies

As you stand now, the 270 is 25% slower than the 960 assuming equal RAM (2GB isn't sufficient). The RX 570 is 50% faster than the 960, and the RX 580 is 75% faster than the 960, but with prices the way they are, the 580 is only about $10, if not the same price, as the RX 570, so I'd suggest the Sapphire Radeon NITRO+ RX 580 8GB for $200.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202280&Description=rx 580&cm_re=rx_580-_-14-202-280-_-Product

0 Likes
bigjoe11a
Adept I

How can I be sure that my motherboard will support this video card. The manual says is a PCIEX16. and I do have a 700 watt power supply. will this support that video card.

0 Likes

The 270 is a 150w card and the RX 580 is a 185w card, so unless you have a garbage PSU which is already on the limit, then it'll be fine.

0 Likes

OK, cool. That's what I wanted to know. as long as my system will support it.

0 Likes

Personally with a system that old which lacks a UEFI BIOS, I'd wait until June/July when AMD releases Navi (supposedly) and Zen 2. Zen 2, according to Usermark benchmarks, is essentially 100% faster than any Socket AM3/+ CPU per clock, and in games like Minecraft, CPU is paramount.

Or you could upgrade your system now to a Ryzen 2000 series, which is 50-75% faster than Piledriver (FX-8350), and get the RX 580.

I know you don't have a big budget, which is why I'd wait and save up money over the next few months.

0 Likes

Thank you. I have a Ryzen 5 2600 with 16gbs of ram on my wish list on ebay. It's just that will cost me like $600. that I just don't have and would take me for ever to save that money back. Do you know of a video card that my PC could handle that would be better the the R9 270. That would give me better FPS and so on. Thanks again.

0 Likes

Not any new ones, and I wouldn't trust a used one, not with how many ruined cryptocurrency mining cards are out there. There's a good possibility the RX 580 will work just fine, but when you're talking about a 3 year old low end motherboard without UEFI with a new card, you're running the risk. If you're an Amazon Prime member, you can always buy it from them, https://www.amazon.com/XFX-Radeon-1386MHz-Graphics-RX-580P8DFD6/dp/B06Y66K3XD/ref=sr_1_3?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1548616359&sr=1-3&keywords=rx+580 and then if it doesn't work just say it doesn't work on the return form and they'll take it back.

Newegg you can get the complete system for $705 brand new.

0 Likes

Thanks for the info. At those prices I would really go broke, You didn't think to add a DVD Drive, a SSD Drive. The SATA Drive and any thing else I mite need. See I'm getting  a bare bones system for less then $400. and I can add what I need for a bout $650.00. For those prices you have to be rich, At 60 years old. Nope will never happen. lol. This is why I don't buy from Newegg or Amazon a lot. Because of their prices just being too high. There's a PC store called Magic Micro in Cleveland Ohio USA that I order from and they saved me a lot of money. You mite want to check them out, Just Google. You can't miss them.

0 Likes

I was assuming everything else you'd use from your current machine.

0 Likes
bigjoe11a
Adept I

I didn't thing to add, My motherboard is a ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3. That way if anyone needed to they could look it up. I thought that I had a PCIE 2.0 slot for video.The manual says I have a PCIEX16. I have an AMD FX 6100 6 core CPU. with this system support that video card.

0 Likes