cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

awonderr
Adept I

Version of amd software doesnt match drivers

I've been getting this problem for a while now and no fixes i find online are working, ive tried turning off the setting to make windows stop updating the driver itself but it still changes it, ive tried sfc scan and repaired corrupt files and I still get this problem. what happens is randomly the display flickers and then a pop up that says "hardware settings have changed please reboot your computer" then the amd software stops working, even if i dont do a windows update.

when i last checked the driver version it said 30. other numbers, then after the hardware settings pop up happened it says 27.20, does anyone know a permanent fix because its getting annoying having to reinstall the software almost daily

driver date.png

8 Replies
Nolan01420
Adept I

Download CCleaner (piriform.com),  go to driver updater, do to the tab that says up to date drivers, it will list how many you have and you can delete from the window. Or use DDU.

0 Likes

So i tried this about a week ago and it worked for a week and now i just got the problem again today

0 Likes
awonderr
Adept I

tried this, will have to wait a few days to see if it's a permanent fix

0 Likes
Racq
Adept II

It's Windows Update pushing an older driver than the one you just installed and it causes a mismatch. Completely Microsoft's fault on this one. I have this issue with one of my laptops every time I update to the latest drivers from the AMD site.

How I get around this is instead of reinstalling the drivers again, just use the driver rollback option (roll back driver)  in the Graphics Properties window you posted when Windows Update reverts it and it will not try to modify the driver again. At least until you install the next update. It's annoying but like I said, this is something that Microsoft is responsible for managing. I've tried to use the automated feedback when using the driver rollback option, but it hasn't changed anything yet.

0 Likes

I think ive found a fix https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/amd-driver-issue/a15978ec-e36b-4bbf-a60d-d89a3... the reply to this has a link to a program that blocks a windows update when its queued, after running it i havent had the problem since

0 Likes

That looks like the same method I use. I just need to repeat it every time the driver is updated manually. I assume you will need to too.

One other time this happened for me was when the driver was corrupted due to bad overclock settings. In that case, just a normal repair install and reset did the trick.

0 Likes
hrpuffnstuff
Miniboss

Launch gpedit and turn off windows driver updates then reinstall adrenaline.

0 Likes

I think Windows will ignore this if the machine is not joined to a domain. I'll have to retry this method again.

0 Likes