cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

pschorr1123
Adept I

Vega64 LC thread_stuck_in_device_driver 18.11.2-19.1.1 Unable to unistall and have to restore system from an image backup 2700X, X370 tiachi, 16GB B-dies, 970evo boot win 10 1709

I have Win10 1709 running on 2700X X370 Taichi with 16GB B-Dies, 970evo boot nvme.

I was on 18.10.1 and tried to update to the yearly adrenaline update back in December 2018. I used DDU to wipe and clean to install fresh driver. After Win 10 rebooted The PC freezes immediately after login. After several reboots I managed to get 1 BSOD before it locked up which was "thread_stuck_in_device_driver"

The only way to get the system unusable was to restore from a backup image via AEOMI boot drive. I figured maybe just this driver was crap and decided to wait for a couple a new ones to again and tried 19.1.1 yesterday only to have the same thing happen. Pretty unacceptable for AMD's top gaming GPU to not run properly on latest drivers on top of the line AMD consumer hardware.

For whats its worth I have been using Afterburner for as long as I can remember and was wondering if that no longer plays nice with Radeon Drivers since Wattman does a lot of the same functionality.

I do not have the Dump file images to upload as the drive was wiped by the image restore process

0 Likes
1 Solution
pschorr1123
Adept I

Update I left Afterburner uninstalled and tried to update to 19.1.1 from 18.10.1 and have had no issues so far........

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
pschorr1123
Adept I

Update I left Afterburner uninstalled and tried to update to 19.1.1 from 18.10.1 and have had no issues so far........

0 Likes
nunklen
Staff

Im glad you got that fixed.
I am getting the same bsod. I dont use afterburner, just wattman.

I encounter the crash whenever I try any custom wattman settings while being connected to  2 4k 60hz displays and 1 1440p 144hz display.

If i disconnect 1 or even just lower the resolution of 1 of the 4k ones, i can customize wattman settings at will.

0 Likes

Interesting.  When I first encountered the issue I disconnected my 4k tv ,which is my 2nd display along with a 1440p Acer XF270HU as my main, and still has the machine lock up immediately after login. From the little research I did this specific BSOD has plagued AMD GPUs for quite some time. I know that Windows really does not like running multiple displays at different resolutions. Some day maybe MS will get it right. Apple has had apps scale nicely on 4k for a few years now.

0 Likes