cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

sedifric
Journeyman III

Vega64 black screen with 2 different 8 pin cables (possibly PSU suggestions?)

Describe your system:

• AMD Graphics Card
    • Vega 64 nitro+ 2 8 pins
  • Desktop or Laptop System
    • Desktop
  • Operating System
    • Windows 10 64bit
  • Driver version installed
    • Adrenalin Edition 18.12.1.1
  • Display Devices
    • Samsung ue40mu6400 3840x2160 @60Hz HDMI
    • (Technician's monitor) 1080p @60Hz HDMI
  • Motherboard + Bios Revision
    • Asus ROG Maximus VI Hero
  • CPU/APU
    • I5 4670k
  • Power Supply Unit  Make, Model & Wattage
    • XFX 750w gold
  • RAM
    • 8gb

Describe your issue:

Hi guys,

I know this has been discussed already and I also posted on the main thread about this, but since the last post is more than 10 days old I thought I should also ask here.

Known problem, black screen due to power spikes.

I have a 750w PSU with different cables for each 8 pin connector tho, so I'm already applying the only real solution suggested.

Is it still because of the faulty PSU? Or does it just not meet certain requirements?

If so, what are these requirements?

I'd be looking for the cheapest PSU that meets the requirements (and also capable of driving the GPU ofc) but I also want to make sure that it will solve the problem.

The technician I talked to said I'd need ''200+ euros PSUs'' (I'd imagine he's talking about multi rails) but at the same time I have a friend who has no problem running it with a modular 550w bronze EVGA, so I really don't get it.

Since I bought it from an ecommerce site that does the bare minimum and it will be christmas soon, if there's a high chance the card might be at fault I'd prefer to just take my legal right to return it for the full price instead of just waiting and ending up having to send it to RMA.

Can someone please help me move around this known issue and find the right approach to it for me?

0 Likes
3 Replies
theacclaimed
Miniboss

Does the computer shut off completely while playing a DX11 or 3d heavy game (i.e. FFXV, Tomb Raider, etc.)? Meaning, all the fans on the chassis turn off as if it lost power and in order to turn back on the computer after the blackscreen you have to flip the switch on the power supply to be able to restart the computer? If so this means the PSU is not able to handle the Vega 64's transient load spikes which can exceed the total amperage rating allowed for that specific PSU on its 12v rail. I cannot speak for many other power supplies but I know that the one that I fixed the issue with was a Corsair HX1200. I had this same problem I described above while using a Seasonic PRIME Titanium 1000w so I do not recommend Seasonic PSUs be paired with Vega 64, instead get a Super Flower (EVGA rebrand) or CWT (Corsair rebrand). These brands are more tolerate of those extreme load spikes compared to Seasonic.

0 Likes

Thanks for the reply.

On the contrary, the PC stays on while it loses video signal, the GPU fans seem to start spinning at 100% but the temps for both CPU and video card are just fine.

Is this still consistent with the problem you said (and that I knew about already)?

You got the game right btw, I was testing with FFXV and 4k textures pack, the very first scene of the game is stable even tho it gets to 100% usage but it crashes during the first ''open world cutscene''.

Also, thanks for the PSU suggestions.
I will consider those for sure, but I first want to make sure that is the problem.

I also just tried raising the power limit just to see what would happen and it crashed before I could even get to the menu.

0 Likes

I use a Corsair TX850V2 and so far no video card is such a power pig I cannot run it, Corsair has been my choice but I get their higher performance models.

0 Likes