Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

zboard
Adept I

VEGA 64 + XG 2730 + Freesync = Random Black Screens

Hello all. I've been living with this problem for 2 months. Here my specs:

Ryzen 1700x @ 3.9Ghz/1.875v | SAPPHIRE VEGA 64 NITRO Undervolted and with last BIOS | ASRock x370 Taichi Bios P3.30 | Corsair Vengeance 2x8 Gb @ 2933 Mhz | EVGA G3 650W Gold | Samsung EVO 950 250 Gb | Viewsonic XG2730 via DP, lastest firmware and drivers properly installed and a Soundblaster Z, also properly installed.

The problem consists in a Black Screen, when gaming only by now, that lasts for 2-3 seconds and nothing crashes or monitor loses signal or power. It happens apparently randomly, but i can easy trigger it in Guild Wars (2005). The problem, as far as i've tested, only occurs when i enable Freesync. Already had 48h or more of gaming without a single black screen with freesync disabled, so i tie it to freesync. I tried various drivers, reinstalling windows 10, stock GPU, Bought new DP cable which is VESA certified,Changed GPU to the other PCI 3.0 x16 port, Override DP cable voltage to 0, 1 and 2 (Radeon Display settings), checked that monitor is using DP 1.2, enabling/disabling GPU Scaling, changing color depth to 6, full panel instead preserve aspect ratio..... nothing worked, i keep getting the random black screens so i come here to ask people if is just a bad monitor/gpu or is just bad drivers/windows 10 messing things up. I repeat, disabling Freesync solves the Black Screens, but its pointless having this monitor then. Already contacted with Viewsonic support and they started with the typical: are you using latest drivers, are you using 144 hz... so they are not being helpful at all. Already did read a lot of posts about this, some of them solved the issue, but some others didnt.

I'd like people with this issue to post here their specs and problem so maybe we can know whats going on.

0 Likes
34 Replies
arcticwind
Forerunner

According to the Sapphire web page, that GPU need more power...

They recommend a 850w power supply just for the GPU alone.

The GPU does have three 8 pin power connectors on it right?

0 Likes

I see now... there is another version that has two 8 pin power connectors on it and a 750w power supply is recommended.

0 Likes

Hey thanks for answering. Yes i have the 2x8 version and tested it at stock voltage when i got it, and drawn almost the double than the actual setting without a single crash/black screen/anything. Also had the GPU 1 month before this new monitor, didnt have any issue. Its just related to Freesync, and i dont know why so im here asking if maybe is just a defective monitor/gpu because when i disable freesync all black screens are gone

0 Likes
Matt_AMD
Community Manager

How can you easily trigger it exactly?

0 Likes

Hey thanks for the answer. Basically by just playing for 30-60 minutes( If it helps, i play mostly in Domain of Anguish, an elite area from GW Nightfall), i tried full screen and borderless windowed but happens anyways. I also got horrid stuttering and fps drops in this game, will try reinstalling it because its absurd. In LoL black screens are not THAT common but yesterday i got 2 black screens in 4 minutes. Had Guild Wars 2(2012) open(cap at 60 fps), firefox open, and was playing a normal game in LoL, Summoners Rift map(cap at 144 fps but fluctuates from 90-144 depending of the fights going on), all borderless windowed mode. The Black Screens are like a black image for 3 seconds because all keeps running and monitor doesnt lose signal, sound keeps going. In fact the monitor base/support, which has a led matching color in the  screen, its blue when black screens happen, which only happen when i turn on the monitor i believe.

I have my PC/Monitor/Speaker and Router all connected to this socket, which should be more than enough: https://www.amazon.es/Brennenstuhl-1159490936-Regleta-Autom%C3%A1tica-Antracita/dp/B00C24Y4LS

0 Likes

Can you try turning off HDCP under Radeon Settings > Display > Specs > Override. Apply and restart and let me know if that has any effect on the issue.

0 Likes

I tried so many things that i forgot that.. yes already tried disabling it, no effect :/

0 Likes

Are you using Windows 10? If so, can you try updating to the latest build (1809) and then updating to 18.9.3 and let me know if that resolves your issue.

0 Likes

Hey again. Yes im using windows 10, build 18.03 and 18.9.2 drivers. I'll try updating.

0 Likes

Build 1803 is the older version. Please run Windows update.

0 Likes

I updated Windows and Radeon to latest build/drivers avaliable (1809 and 18.9.3). Im going to test it but i dont have high hopes on this since i already had windows almost up to date and same for drivers :/

0 Likes

Update: Issue is still here.

0 Likes
punkmunster
Adept I

Have you tryed '4:4:4 RGB PC Standard' in Radeon Settings.

0 Likes

Its what i always had, so is not that :/

0 Likes
qwixt
Forerunner

About the only thing left to do is check if monitor or gpu is bad by trying the monitor on a different PC that could utilize freesync or trying another freesync monitor with your pc. If you have an older freesync compatible GPU, you could try that in the PC too.

0 Likes

I was using a 12 years old pc until few months ago so thats no possible and my friends use Nvidia cards so cant try there. Its really frustrating saving a huge amount of money to properly play with my friends and not being able to use at full potential . In case freesync module/chip/whatever is doing the process is failing i guess i can aim first to RMA GPU right? Because the bracket's rubber(the gpu its intact) fell on the second day of use (cough sapphire uses bad glue cough) so i had tu use silicone to attach it again and i doubt that voids the warranty but who knows...

So at this point should i wait for miracle GPU BIOS/Driver fix/Monitor firmware or just start the RMA process?

0 Likes
zboard
Adept I

Just to do a bump and also add that my gpu has a bit of coil whine, fps dependant( the more fps/gpu load, the more noise, at max load its noticeable but almost at same dB level as the gpu fans, so basically nothing to worry about for me), in case it matters.

Oh, forgot to mention that Monitor drivers have 3 versions, one for DP, one for HDMI 1.4 and one for HDMI 2.0. Regardless of which one i pick when updating it( will install the one you select, in the properties>driver>update driver utility from windows itself) the monitor will always show up as Viewsonic XG2730HDMI 2_2.0 or something like that( once i reach home i will edit this if its different) so was wondering if had something to do with it. I repeat that you can install the DP driver/controller or the HDMI 1.4 driver/controller but monitor name its always like above mentioned. In radeon settings only appears as Viewsonic XG2730 DP.

*Quick update after trying a 2.0 HDMI*: Black Screens are a bit longer (5 seconds) and happen more easily, apparently. Prior to the VEGA 64 i had a 1050ti but not only used DDU several times, reinstalled Windows 10, but didnt entirely wipe the SSD. Maybe is there still a conflict there?

*Another update*: Just got a black screen while using HDMI 2.0 with Freesync off. After a restart now black screens are constant every few mins or seconds with or without Freesync. All this with the new HDMI 2.0

0 Likes
zboard
Adept I

One little thing: when i have the monitor connected through HDMI i cant change the frecuency on it (stays at native 144) but i can change it on Windows; and in Radeon settings>Display>Specs i cant see the link info, unlike with DP which was showing 5.4Gbp x 4. Is that normal with HDMI?

Today i contacted Viewsonic to RMA because prior to this monitor i had VEGA 64 with a 75 hz old monitor (connected via VGA to DP adapter) without a single issue. Im going to try the monitor on another pc that has Nvidia only with the HDMI to see if black screens are still there. In case black screens doesnt happen in the Nvidia pc, should i asume my GPU is faulty?

0 Likes
hellthrasher
Journeyman III

Hello, I have the exact same monitor-GPU combo with the same still unresolved issue. At least for the black screens over DP I can tell that there is no issue with our GPU, since I´ve tested it with a different (but similiar in specs) monitor (AOC AG322CQX). I´m already in touch with the Viewsonic support and got to test another specimen of the XG2730 with the same issue.

About your issue with HDMI: Are you using an HDMI cable which has the necessary bandwidth for WQHD@144Hz? I tried using an HDMI cable specified for UHD@60Hz and I get the very same black screens but more rare.

0 Likes

The "random black-screen error with FreeSync" is unfortunately well known. It seems to happen with all kinds of combinations, i.e. different GPUs and different FreeSync monitors.

I have a Vega64 LC and a Samsung CF791 and the same issue: Random black screens when gaming with FreeSync enabled.

I've tried all drivers and numerous settings - the problems remains. I use HDMI 2.0, the problem was also there using DP. The black screen sometime do not appear for 4 hours straight and sometimes 3 times within an hour. The black screen appears like a short signal lost (no message like that) or the switch of the monitor between input signals.

It is sad because the Vega64 and the CF791 was actually advertised together as the perfect bundle for the perfect gaming experience. And it is also sad that after so many months of people reporting this problem is it still treated as single problems from single users.

Please AMD, treat this as a general error with FreeSync for a better investigation!

0 Likes

Hey thanks for your answer. With the HDMI was horrid and was like this(the cable is a HDMI 2.0b which is enough for 144hz @ 1440p): When i first link the monitor with the HDMI( lets say after switch from DP or after cold boot, didnt test much) i was getting the same usual black screens every 30 seconds, Freesync on/off didnt matter. I DISABLED AND RE-ENABLED the GPU(only have one, the VEGA 64) and the HDMI worked perfect for hours after doing this, was like some kind of bad sync issue. That with Fressync off. Once i enabled it, in 30 mins i get the first usual black screen. With HDMI is different since it happens in deskop too, not only in games( when Freesync enabled). Couldnt test it too much since i sent my Monitor to RMA but as i said, with HDMI is the same: Enabling freeync causes random black screens, but unlike DP the black screens are more common and can happen while in deskop(we could say DP is more stable in Black Screens wise). About the sync problem im having with the first time i use HDMI after switch from DP or after a cold boot i guess is just a sync problem but will investigate more once i get the monitor back.

What is more interesting is that looks like is not a bad monitor but bad drivers or firmware from the gpu/monitor, what are good news since can be patched. I'll keep updating this post.

amdmatt , looks like its driver or firmware issue, any news on this?. Thanks for your time

0 Likes
zboard
Adept I

Update: Today i received another XG2730, new , and SAME black screens are still there with HDMI or DP, so it wasnt a faulty monitor, its either, and most probably, drivers/firmware issue or faulty GPU, which i doubt because if i turn Freesync off, works like a charm and with other monitors that arent Freesync i have no problem at all.

About HDMI: Issue still there, random black screens, FS on/off, will investigate further on this. With DP its fine as long as i dont turn on FS

amdmatt : If you think its faulty GPU more than drivers/firmware i'd appreciate you to answer here or pm please, thanks for your time as always.

0 Likes

I am not sure if your GPU is faulty, but I will open a ticket with engineering for further investigation.

Please could you attach a DXIDAG report to your next response?

0 Likes

Hey thanks for the fast answer. im attaching the DXDIAG report.

Also note that with HDMI i still get  random black screens with FreeSync off but apparently it gets solved if i disable and re-enable my VEGA in device manager( this every time i restart pc), this doesnt happen with DP and Freesync off(only with FS on), any idea why this is happening?

0 Likes

I'm a little confused, in the OP you say you get black screens with FS on using DP. Now you get black screens with HDMI and FS off but not on DP. Can you clarify?

If anyone has this issue with this display please let me know, as having reviewed this thread it does seem to be an isolated case.

0 Likes

Amdmatt, Do want others who are having the same problems (random black screens with FS on) but using a different display to open a separate thread?

After reading numerous threads I think those random black screens are not related to the display but an issue with the GPU/driver/software.

0 Likes

Yes, please open a different thread.

0 Likes

Random Black Screens happen:

-With DP and Freesync ON

-With HDMI with Freesync ON/OFF, im still investigating this but its basically that, if i use HDMI (its a 2.0b cable) i'll get random black screens, no matter the configuration. Tried on different PC with Ryzen 2600 | 1050ti | Same HDMI cable, and as far as i tested it for few days, no issue (so its not the cable)

Only way to avoid black screens is to use DP with Freesync off (used 3 different cables with exact same results so cables are fine)

Is not an isolated issue, another 2 different people posted already:

Re: VEGA 64 + XG 2730 + Freesync = Random Black Screens

hellthrasher

Hello, I have the exact same monitor-GPU combo with the same still unresolved issue. At least for the black screens over DP I can tell that there is no issue with our GPU, since I´ve tested it with a different (but similiar in specs) monitor (AOC AG322CQX). I´m already in touch with the Viewsonic support and got to test another specimen of the XG2730 with the same issue.

About your issue with HDMI: Are you using an HDMI cable which has the necessary bandwidth for WQHD@144Hz? I tried using an HDMI cable specified for UHD@60Hz and I get the very same black screens but more rare.

Re: VEGA 64 + XG 2730 + Freesync = Random Black Screens

wechhe

The "random black-screen error with FreeSync" is unfortunately well known. It seems to happen with all kinds of combinations, i.e. different GPUs and different FreeSync monitors.

I have a Vega64 LC and a Samsung CF791 and the same issue: Random black screens when gaming with FreeSync enabled.

I've tried all drivers and numerous settings - the problems remains. I use HDMI 2.0, the problem was also there using DP. The black screen sometime do not appear for 4 hours straight and sometimes 3 times within an hour. The black screen appears like a short signal lost (no message like that) or the switch of the monitor between input signals.

It is sad because the Vega64 and the CF791 was actually advertised together as the perfect bundle for the perfect gaming experience. And it is also sad that after so many months of people reporting this problem is it still treated as single problems from single users.

Please AMD, treat this as a general error with FreeSync for a better investigation!

0 Likes
zboard
Adept I

amdmatt any news on the ticket?, in case you raised one. Was Dxdiag useful?

Two things:

1.- The viewsonic support confirmed that the first monitor had a hardware problem so they repaired my first monitor, then i asked them to send it to me and take this second monitor to repair, since has the same behaviour. I have no faith they repaired anything but well, we can try.

2.- I have a motherboard(ASRock x370 Taichi) which supports wifi 2.4Ghz  and 5Ghz but i do not have the antennas connected/plugged since im using a ethernet cable. I do have wifi disabled in BIOS. In any case, could this generate an interference with the video signal, even with wifi disabled?

2.1- In case the repaired monitor has the same issue, i guess GPU is next RMA target, right?

To remember and clarify, black screens happen:

A) With HDMI and Freesync on and off; Freesync enabled just makes them more common (1 black screen ever 5 mins if FS enabled, if disabled is 1 black screen every 40 mins)

B) With DisplayPort, i only get these black screens if i enable Freesync and they become much more random (can be 3 black screens in 5 minutes or one every 4h). If Freesync is disabled, then i dont get black screens.

Not related to black screens probably, but in Guild Wars(2005) i still get hard frame drops (144 to 70 or even 50) and micro stuttering for some reason, micro stutter occurs when gpu has to render anything in the game, like you enter in a new area and loads the npc models or team members enter in compass range, its hard to explain. Also GPU load never goes really high( i think max i saw was 70%)for some reason so i think that causes the fps/stutter problems. In the previous windows 10 installation(before doing a clean windows 10 install because the black screens), exact same pc, i didnt have this problem. Thanks for your time as always

0 Likes
hellthrasher
Journeyman III

Here an update on my side of things:

ViewSonic HQ couldn´t find/reproduce the issue so I got a refund. They didn´t contact me first, though.

I have tried 2 more monitors now (AOC AG271QX and HP 27XQ) and both work fine.

Demn i guess Viewsonic is lazy and doesnt wanna upgrade drivers nor amd cares since im already with the third monitor and with same issue... one question though... with the viewsonic and HDMI wihtout freesync did you have black screens?

0 Likes
toppa
Adept I

I solved my problem! It was my MSI R9 390. ​It wasn't the ASUS MG278Q monitor, the DP cable, the be quiet! SP10 500W PSU or Freesync.

I found a reliable way to reproduce my problem in a counter strike map. So I went through every single software setting (Freesync, clock speeds and so on).

But it didn't went away. So it had to be a hardware issue.

Then ​​I put the RX 480 from my wife into my PC without changing everything else, and it worked!

​Now I ordered a Vega 64 because it was already about time for a faster GPU at 1440p/144hz.

rekzzix
Adept I

I found this thread and it seems also exactly the same problem as OP. RX 580 and iiyama GB2760QSU-B1 Monitor. Using both DP (bought VESA-Certified) and HDMI it occurs when freesync is enabled. PSU is Corsair CS550m and processor is i5 4460 on an Gigabyte H97-D3H motherboard. I am on the latest windows build and amd drivers. Yet no fix in sight which is really sad because i cant use freesync at all

0 Likes

Has this issue been fixed yet? It's 2020...I just got a vega 64 with a freesync monitor and it does this...Even on my rx 580..what the heck amd?

0 Likes