cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

auyer
Adept I

Vega 64 turning off ( no signal ) after no specific reason.

My video card has been working for a few months. Both in this setup, ( R7 2700X) and in my last CPU ( i7 4790). For no apparent reason, it started turning off while idle.

All my drivers are up to date. The BIOS and Chipset are also updated.
It also happened once during a Linux distro installation. ( My PC is currently booted to Linux, for testing reasons ).

At first, on windows, I had MSI Afterburner configured with a custom aggressive Fan Curve. Since this problems first started, I disabled it, and tested the Wattman  Power Saver profile. It turned off while I wasn't even touching the PC.

Here is a picture of it. I can confirm that the Fan is blowing.

gpu.jpg

[EDIT 2 -- IN THIS PICTURE: PC is on, (sound is on), video-card leds and Fan are on, but the tachometer is showing no activity + there is no signal in the monitor ]

The two 8 Pin connectors do not share the same cable. This power supply a 80 Plus Bronze certificated PSU.

Here is a picture of it's specs:

IMG_1941.jpg

There is no Overclock in place, and was not under pressure in any of the situations that it crashed.

Any help ?

[EDIT 1]

I have worked in this computer using Linux for a whole day, and nothing happened.

0 Likes
1 Solution
auyer
Adept I

I can confirm that is was a PSU issue. The power supply became unable to filter instabilities in the power delivery, and the system crashed because of it.
I was ( and kinda still is) hard to determine why it was not a VGA related issue, since everything else seemed to work file ( audio still playing, and ect), but I noticed that for some reason, turning a specific light in the bathroom caused the system to crash 100% of times ( and that was the reason I was never able to see it happening in front of me, and the reason the PC was able to sustain hours and hours of stability tests.

Thanks for the help anyway, for everyone that spent time reading or commenting in this post.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
6 Replies
freekyleecker
Adept II

Disable hard drive turning off after 20 min.

some power supplies need a minimum power usage to maintain power.

i had something like this happen to me after 20 min boot.

the hard drive turned off with power save mode in windows,

power supply went below minimum power to maintain the power supply use and pc just shut down.

Im having problems with pc turning off myself but for different reasons.

0 Likes

This does not seem to be the problem. My main drive is a Sata SSD, but I also have a HDD connected to the computer.

0 Likes

it wont be the hard drive.

but when pc goes into power save mode the pc can turn off because the power pull from the power supply can drop below the minimum

It happened to me.

when my hard drive turned off my pc turned off because the power supply went  below its minimum power and it turned itself off.

see m power supply needed 50 watts without 50 watt it turned itself off.

it may not be your problem but it might.

0 Likes

You have the minimum PSU wattage (700 Watts) needed to run your computer with a Vega64 air cooled GPU card according to this website: PSU REQUIREMENTS - RealHardTechX .

But it should be sufficient to run the GPU card without crashing unless your PSU is defective or you have a configuration power issue or Overheating problem.

What do you exactly mean by "turning off"? That the computer shuts down as though you hit the power off button or that the monitor goes black and shows "No Signal" with the computer powered on still.

First uninstall MSI Afterburner AFTER putting everything back to Default. 3rd party OC software tend to not be totally compatible with AMD Wattman and can cause many weird problems. Some people they have no problems while others do. AMD Forum usually recommends to uninstall software like MSI Afterburner.

Then use Wattman to configure your Vega64. Someone else can help you do that here at AMD Forums. I know from past threads at AMD Forums that Users needed to change and configure the Vega64 card to prevent it from crashing all the time.

If you would like to test your CPU/GPU/ or PSU to see if it works under full loads without crashing or to see if it is overheating than you can always download a free diagnostic program called OCCT to test your PSU or GPU or CPU.

0 Likes

elstaci wrote:

What do you exactly mean by "turning off"? That the computer shuts down as though you hit the power off button or that the monitor goes black and shows "No Signal" with the computer powered on still.

Just no signal. PC is on, (sound is on), video-card leds and Fan are on, but the tachometer is showing no activity + there is no signal in the monitor. This can be seen in the first picture.

elstaci wrote:

But it should be sufficient to run the GPU card without crashing unless your PSU is defective or you have a configuration power issue or Overheating problem.

The cooling is more than optimal, and the temps are fine. (4 intake fans, 2 pushing air out, side and rear grills, PSU has its own intake...)

elstaci wrote:

If you would like to test your CPU/GPU/ or PSU to see if it works under full loads without crashing or to see if it is overheating than you can always download a free diagnostic program called OCCT to test your PSU or GPU or CPU.

In short runs, no error. I will be doing a few 2 hour long tests overnight.

I have also uninstalled MSI Afterburner, but the PC did crashed once without it running at all. I did also reset all configs a while ago.

0 Likes
auyer
Adept I

I can confirm that is was a PSU issue. The power supply became unable to filter instabilities in the power delivery, and the system crashed because of it.
I was ( and kinda still is) hard to determine why it was not a VGA related issue, since everything else seemed to work file ( audio still playing, and ect), but I noticed that for some reason, turning a specific light in the bathroom caused the system to crash 100% of times ( and that was the reason I was never able to see it happening in front of me, and the reason the PC was able to sustain hours and hours of stability tests.

Thanks for the help anyway, for everyone that spent time reading or commenting in this post.

0 Likes