cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

xenoamd
Journeyman III

Vega 64 crashes system and restarts with no BSOD

I've had this card a couple months and have been having this problem with many drivers 17.10.2 and 3. A couple of the .11 drivers  and the new ones out now. The system will crash during light gaming situations off of lots of different games like Hollow Knight just loading a round of SC2 etc. System restarts as if from a power loss with no error logs in whocrashed. Driver always resets to stock settings. I've tried many drivers many wattman settings trying to back off card use to no benefit. Even tried having 2 PCI power cables some youtube guy said he tried. I have a 650watt power supply and never any problems with the 390x. Don't know where to go from here.

[Intel - Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor]

**CPU Cooler** | [Phanteks - PH-TC12DX 68.5 CFM CPU Cooler]

**Motherboard** | [MSI - Z170A PC MATE ATX LGA1151 Motherboard]

**Memory** | [Kingston - HyperX Fury Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory

**Memory** | [Kingston - HyperX Fury Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory]

**Storage** | [SanDisk - Ultra II 480GB 2.5" Solid State Drive]

**Storage** | [Western Digital - Red 3TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive]

**Video Card** | Radeon VEGA 64

**Power Supply** | Thermaltake - 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply

5 Replies
mrcleanor
Adept II

I have the same problem, sometimes my screen ends green or grey or black, but it is a crash

found a possible fix on the forum

i also tested 4 power supplies, 2 motherboards and oher things

my rx 480 runs totally fine so it must be the vega56

testen now the fixed hbm rate @ 500 in desktop while a game runs and youtube is playing

RX Vega64 Liquid -- Possible HBM2 Downclocking / Upclocking / Black-Screen issue

when it really is this switching issue of the ram then amd should fix it quickly with a bios flash or driver update

good luck

Thanks for the idea, I gave it a try. I've tried locking it at 945 and 800 but still get some crashes. Did it fix it for you? What does your Wattman look like? I'll give it a try at 500 now. Edit: 800 seems to be the lowest I'm allowed to go. How to you set to 500?

0 Likes

I do it like this, i fix it on 500 MHz when just surfing/watching videos/playing low stress games (Hots/Lol/Ironcast...)

when i play intensive games i fix it on 800 MHz or make it flexible 500-945 in the 2 states, but i have the lowest state (168 MHz) deacivated

so far no crashes for me

another thing is, i run the low wattage bios, closer to the interiour of the case

Maybee switch the bios arround, or check if wattage -20% does help

I have the feeling, the more heat/wattage is created the less stability I get.

But it also depends on your card, some cards have a better asic quality and can work better

My wattman alpha 18.1.1 is default, then custom and just deactivated the low HBM state, the rest is default.

Hope it helps you.

Good luck

0 Likes
dstmnd89x
Challenger

have you tried connecting two separate PCIe cables from your power supply?

I recently posted a picture of my 850w supply with a connector that got fused into one of the modular sockets. Vega wants a lot of power, and it's been suggested that running a single PCIe cable is not sufficient for the 64.

0 Likes
mrcleanor
Adept II

Could you Fix the HBM; clock at State 1 (500MHz)

You can also try to Set State 1 as Min and Max Clock for HBM.

It is strange, that you are unable to change it below 800, it is not the slider for HBM clockspeed on State 4, there is another Window belo that with 4 Powerstates for the HBM.

Give it a go and report your results please.

Good luck

0 Likes