Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

LordTerror
Journeyman III

Vega 56 low power draw, gpu usage, performances

Hello everyone,

I noticed the following problem a few days ago playing Valheim (although I suspect I had this same problem with every game and for a long time. Bought the gpu and the entire pc in november 2018). When joining a game, my gpu draws its max power (165w) and achieve reasonable fps (~60/70), but then power draw and fps will start to drop very fast (in like 2 minutes) and stay low for the rest of the session (~50w and 20 fps). Gpu usage oscillates between ~50/90%. Temperature is a bit high (73/74 celsius with default adrenaline settings), but changing the gpu fan curves in adrenaline does not solve the problem (although I can hear the fan turning faster and see temperature falling). Changing in game graphics settings does not have much impact on power draw/gpu usage/performances.

What is strange is that, if I leave the session and stays a bit in the menu of the game, then gpu usage and power draw are their maximum. Also, I stressed test the gpu using Furmark: for more than 30 minutes, gpu usage and power draw stayed at their maximum during all that time.

Here are my system specs:

- GPU: ASRock Phantom Gaming X Radeon RX Vega 56 8gb,

- Desktop machine,

- Drivers: Radeon Software Adrenaline 21.3.1,

- Display: ACER XF240YU 2560x1440 144Hz, using display ports,

- CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700,

- MB: ASRock B450m pro4 am4 amd, bios version: P1.10,

- PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 550 G2 220-G2-0550-Y1 80+ Gold 550w,

- RAM: Team T-Force Delta RGB 16gb (2x8gb) 288-pin DDR4 3000

Thanks in advance!

0 Likes
0 Replies