cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

blaqq
Adept I

vega 56 BSOD(blackscreen of death) system freeze crash

Have had my PC for over a year now and the recent month it has started to crash into BSOD when i play games. Its not game limited and does this on all games, more info below. The crash is a permanent black screen and all the GPU-tach LED diods on the graphics card light up solid solid glow and get stuck there and i cant even turn on or off capslock-numlock etc forcing me to hard reset. The BSOD appears all from 1 second into game actual gameplay, or 2-5 min.. I can never play without BSOD for more than 5 minutes.

What i have been able to do is play The Division 2 with FPS limiter set to 80, without crashes.

Mass effect 3 FPS limit set to 60 fps without crashes
And Final fantasy XIV online FPS limit set to 50fps without crashes

My Display is a ASUS 165hz freesync monitor connected with 2m display port 1.2 cable

My PSU is a Corsair rm1000x
CPU ryzen 1600
Kingston 2666mhz memory
Gygabyte AX370 gaming k3 motherboard
GPU msi reference vega 56
SAmsung EVO 970 NVMe Harddrive

Both my CPU and GPU are water cooled with 240 rad and 360 rad with dual pumps.

Furmark or 3dmarks show no errors , it all passes
GPU and CPU temps never go above 50c respectively (70c hotspot for GPU)

windows Reliability report show no errors, except unexpected shutdown error due to manual hard reset after crashing into BSOD.

I have tried with freesync on/off. I have tried with enhanced sync on/off. Change color depth. Different windows PnP monitor refresh rates. Safe mode DDU driver removal and installing Different AMD radaeon drivers, tried all drivers from 18.5.1 to 19.4.2. I have tried windows 7, but i use Windows 10. I have tried rolling back Windows 10 updates. I have tried different bios settings. I have tried changing GPU clocks,and voltages. Same for CPU and RAM.. I have tried increasing pagefile. Nothing works.. I have also tried changing my GPU bios to different vega 56 bioses, and also vega 64 bioses.

All that has worked so faar is decreasing FPS target limit untill a set point where BSOD's dont appear anymore.

My DXDIAG
dxdiag190417 - Pastebin.com 

My MS info

msinfo3.txt - Pastebin.com 

I can safely assume that this issue is isolated to the FPS. Having no limit crashes, having a high limit crashes, lowering the limit depending on game stops the BSOD crashing..

I do NOT think that this is a power delivery issue as i can run Furmark and 3dmark without BSOD crashes and have a total system powerdraw over 500 watt (300watt gpu) with powerlimit on GPU set to 150%+ and GPU voltage at 1.2volt and 1750mhz and HBM voltage at 1.1volt and 1150mhz; and the tempratures stablize at around 55c and 80c hotspot after 1hour furmark at these clocks.

There seems only to be an issue related to the Frames per second. How do i fix this?

12 Replies
blaqq
Adept I

I would like to add that i have now tried Destiny 2 and the game runs without any crashes or errors even without FPS limiter. The FPS can range all from 100fps to 400fps without any crashes.. However still Final Fantasy XIV crashes when its over 50fps..

0 Likes
constantinevi
Adept II

You said your PC started to crash into BSOD recent month, which means it won't before. In this situation, we can consider that it would be a driver problem and this issue happen after updating driver. What do you think?

Another thing is that you talk about BSOD, do you get a BSOD error code and dump message?

0 Likes

I have tried around 10 different driver versions. I have even tried the

bundled graphics drivers in AMD chipset driver pack. I do have a Gigabyte

AX370 motherboard(ryzen cpu).

I do not get crash errors or crash reports. I have checked in both msinfo

and dxdiag. O have not tried "whocrashed" app since i seem to have solved

this issue by applying FPS limiter ingame. But in destiny 2 i do not have

to have fps limiter, the system dosnt BSOD even if i have 300+fps in menus.

However a wierd thing i do notice is that my FPS is the same if i run a

game with all low graphics or all highest graphics settings. I do have 100+

fps in Destiny 2, the division 2 etc during gameplay, but it does like stay

in the 80-120fps range nomatter what graphics setting. I do have a 165hz

monitor.

0 Likes

It's very strange. I think test your Vega at other PC would be a quick way to verify if the problem caused by VGA card. And you need to get another Vega56 to verify your PC setting.

0 Likes

I guess you're right. At the moment it feels like the VGA card as the GPU

tach maxxes out and the half a second before BSOD i hear the card flip out

a coilwhine, almost as if it pushed a infinte amout of FPS for a 0.1 sec

and give BSOD with full GPUtach. However i do not know the technicalities

for this, could it be a motherboard/cpu/or ram issue that sends faulty code

to the GPU? I have no idea.. but i gues i have to try out your theory.

0 Likes

I have yet not borrowed another Vega card to try it out. But i am starting to wonder if its the motherboard causing this issue. Even with FPS limiter - the BSODs are back. It BSOD on every game now. 

I have tried memtest = no errors

I have tried harddrive test with hdtune = no errors on my NVME.

I have tried furmark and heavens benchmark = no errors.

But when i play games it crashes, around 5 minutes in. I do not have overheating issues, system is way below 70c

I do not have any crash dumps or any dumps at all. I have checked in msinfo and i have checked in "whocrashed"

When the computer BSOD the system freezes totaly and i cant even change numlock or capslock on my keyboard. So i guess the system cant even create a dump file. 

Could it be motherboard? Or cpu?

Computer never crashes on anything else than games

Oh i have also tried changing my ram slots from 2-4 TO 1-3, and now when i set my previous clocks the system restarts 5 times and boots into windows @ base mem clocks. However, the pc still BSOD at games with default settings.

0 Likes
blaqq
Adept I

Ok.. this is so wierd..

I have previously tried to reinstall windows 10 a several times.. 

But now i had a proper rage reinstall, i went to my hoarded external backup drive and found a windows 10 installation copy from 2017.. Installed it.. Before plugin in internet i disabled windows update from "services".. and now.. 

I have no FPS limit.. No BSOD.. No lag..

Previously.. in games i had hard FPS dips and stutters on open fields. My graphics settings despite being set to LOW or ULTRA or 600x480 or 1920x1080, had the SAME fps.. 

Now i have different FPS depending on settings..

And i have stable 100+ on open fields instead of below 30 with latest windows 10...

WINDOWS 10 released 2017 FTW lol

0 Likes
bmwcmw
Journeyman III

Same issue here with the MSI Vega 56 Air Boost.

Not sure if it depends on games, but it does impact a lot of games by freezing the PC during gaming.

Waiting for the second RMA. MSI found nothing during the first lol.

0 Likes

Hi,

I'm having the exact same issue since around 4 months now. At first it was maybe once a week. Then it happend more often. Sometimes each day. Newest record was 2 times at the same day.
It's more of a gut feeling, that it may happen more often when in IDLE. So no mouse movement.when having many st

My card is an ASUS AREZ STRIXX Vega 56 OC 8GB. No overclocking done.
Temperatures are always fine. Most of the time with fans off.
Other system specs:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X
MB: Gigabyte Aorus Elite X570
RAM: 32GB Kit (2x16GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Ballistix Sport LT
Power: be quiet! STRAIGHT POWER 11 | 550W

At first I thought it might be some faulty driver on Linux, but as the blackscreen behavior happend on Windows too, I've cut that out.
Also I updated my motherboard BIOS, but with no luck.

Additional note: I switched from one 1900x1080 60Hz Monitor to two 2560x1440 144Hz monitors connected by Displayport 2.1. Not entirely sure if it happens since then. But usually the card should have more than enough power for that?

Help is highly appreciated! It isn't nice when if in the middle of working on something, the system freezes and hours of work are lost.
Any ideas?

Thank you very much in andvance!

0 Likes

@Corbit,
The card you are running should have a minimum 750w PSU, so could be part of your problem..
You would really want a good make with modular cables, then you should have separate cables connected to your GPU..

AMD Ryzen 7 3700x, Asus Tuf Gaming RX 6700 XT, Asus TUF Gaming x570 Plus, 32gb G.Skill TZ neo 3600mhz, Samsung 980pro 1tb NVME, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1tb NVME, Lian Li Galahad AIO 240mm, Antec Titanium 1kw.
0 Likes

Thanks for your reply @vialli100 

The PSU is modular and of high quality. I've carefully choosen the components of my computer after I let the composition double check by experienced hardware enthusiasts.
Also do other users power their system with nearly the same specs even with only a 450W PSU without any problems.

Why should it be exactly min. 750W? I've not reached even ~400W usage until today. I can test with a 650W PSU, but I'm in doubt that this could be the culprit.
If it would be the psu, the blackscreen problem should have happend prior too, right? I had nearly ~1,5years no trouble with the system.

Interestingly, there are more topics on the web with Vega 56 BSOD. Some say disabling HDCP fixed the issue for them. Others suspect the DisplayPort as the cause. I'm testing that right now by only have one monitor at one of the ports connected.

Are settings like these mentioned here https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/8nnuya/comment/dzxic1o/?utm_source=reddit&utm_medium=web2x&con...
stored on the Vega 56 chipset?

0 Likes

@Corbit
Because the min PSU for that card is 750w.
If you use less then you will probably run into problems.
It's not only for the GPU but the rest of your system, also you could have power spikes that take it over the recommended wattage..

It is also the Amps the PSU has to deliver, not only the wattage..

AMD Ryzen 7 3700x, Asus Tuf Gaming RX 6700 XT, Asus TUF Gaming x570 Plus, 32gb G.Skill TZ neo 3600mhz, Samsung 980pro 1tb NVME, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1tb NVME, Lian Li Galahad AIO 240mm, Antec Titanium 1kw.
0 Likes