cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

mkschmidt
Journeyman III

Vector Graphics

Hi, I have a question about AMD/Radeon cards and vector graphics.  I am a game developer, and I'm facing an issue with the framerate of my game.  I would appreciate any thoughts or advice anyone might have bout this. It's kind of technical, and I am happy to provide more details as needed.  This is just a high level description of the problem.

First, let me define what I mean by vector graphics...

I made a game using line_draw commands based on Directx in 3D Gamestudio, emulating the old school vector graphics arcade games like Battlezone.  This command, from what I can gather, uses something called "particle instancing" where each line is a particle drawn on screen.  I know it's an older engine, but while testing on my machine (which has an AMD processor, but an Nvidia graphics card - both about 10 years old) it never seemed to cause any trouble. 

Only after releasing the game did other players discover that some machines could only muster around 10-15 frames per second.  It came about that the connection between all these players was the presence of an AMD/Radeon card. 

Putting aside the fact that I should have tested more thoroughly, what do you think might be the problem with rendering a lot of these line_draw commands? 

Some have suggested it is a flaw in 3D Gamestudio - this is possible and I am looking into this.  But since it works fine on Nvidia cards, it seems that there must be some issue with the cards, perhaps in combination with the software. 

I noticed AMD cards have a wide variety of settings to play around with.  Is there any setting, or combination of settings that might help resolve this issue?  Perhaps this problem may also manifest in other games that rely heavily on particles? 

I am also considering the possibility that it is my code that's responsible.  However, again, we are faced with the question of why I can get 50-60 fps on an Nvidia card, but not on AMD. 

Finally, the presence of AMD cards may technically be a coincidence (right?) and that there may be some other, unknown factor that I have not considered.  Any ideas on what this might be would be appreciated! 

0 Likes
2 Replies
benman2785
Big Boss

asks the Girls n Guys at AMD GPUOpen - they will help you fix technical questions ;)

PC: R7 2700X @PBO + RX 580 4G (1500MHz/2000MHz CL16) + 32G DDR4-3200CL14 + 144hz 1ms FS P + 75hz 1ms FS
Laptop: R5 2500U @30W + RX 560X (1400MHz/1500MHz) + 16G DDR4-2400CL16 + 120Hz 3ms FS
0 Likes

@mkschmidt wrote:

Hi, I have a question about AMD/Radeon cards and vector graphics.  I am a game developer, and I'm facing an issue with the framerate of my game.  I would appreciate any thoughts or advice anyone might have bout this. It's kind of technical, and I am happy to provide more details as needed.  This is just a high level description of the problem.

First, let me define what I mean by vector graphics...

I made a game using line_draw commands based on Directx in 3D Gamestudio, emulating the old school vector graphics arcade games like Battlezone.  This command, from what I can gather, uses something called "particle instancing" where each line is a particle drawn on screen.  I know it's an older engine, but while testing on my machine (which has an AMD processor, but an Nvidia graphics card - both about 10 years old) it never seemed to cause any trouble. 

Only after releasing the game did other players discover that some machines could only muster around 10-15 frames per second.  It came about that the connection between all these players was the presence of an AMD/Radeon card. 

Putting aside the fact that I should have tested more thoroughly, what do you think might be the problem with rendering a lot of these line_draw commands? 

Some have suggested it is a flaw in 3D Gamestudio - this is possible and I am looking into this.  But since it works fine on Nvidia cards, it seems that there must be some issue with the cards, perhaps in combination with the software. 

I noticed AMD cards have a wide variety of settings to play around with.  Is there any setting, or combination of settings that might help resolve this issue?  Perhaps this problem may also manifest in other games that rely heavily on particles? 

I am also considering the possibility that it is my code that's responsible.  However, again, we are faced with the question of why I can get 50-60 fps on an Nvidia card, but not on AMD. 

Finally, the presence of AMD cards may technically be a coincidence (right?) and that there may be some other, unknown factor that I have not considered.  Any ideas on what this might be would be appreciated! 

Try the AMD Developers forums. 

https://community.amd.com/t5/developers/ct-p/devgurus