Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Krashiden
Adept II

Upgrading GPU (RX 580 to RX 6800XT)

Hi AMD Community!

As the tittle says, Im changing my gpu to a RX 6800 XT, So I just want to know if you guys can give me some advices before installing my new GPU. Do I have to reinstall the Drivers or what? (IDK) So yeah just looking for some advices to not **bleep** it up lol.

My current PC:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X

Ram: 32 GB

GPU: RX 580

Motherboard: TUF B450M-Plus Gaming

PSU: 750W

0 Likes
2 Solutions
Vynski
Exemplar

I see one problem before you even start.  The ASUS TUF B450M Plus Gaming board does not have a PCIe 4 slot, which the RX6800XT will suffer severely.  Your board only has PCIe 3 which has about 1/2 the bandwidth of a PCIe 4 slot.  This card will probably not perform any better than your RX580.  Here is an example;  I have 2 desktops, a RYZEN 9 3900X with a Radeon RX 5700XT GPU. benchmarks on the GPU using Unigine Heaven 176 FPS Ultra settings, Unigine Valley 188 FPS Ultra settings, and Unigine Superposition 121 FPS Ultra settings.   My Ryzen 7 2700 with a Radeon RX 480 (in a PCIe 4 slot) Heaven 124 FPS High settings, Valley 92 FPS High settings, and Superposition 37 FPS High settings.  Both machines are on MSI X570 boards.  The 3900X on a MEG ACE and the 2700X on an MPG Gaming Plus.

PCIe 3 has a transfer rate of 8 GT/s bandwidth

PCIe 4 has a 16 GB/s bandwidth.

My 2 cents are to get a new X570 board with PCIe 4 slots and don't hogtie your GPU capabilities. 

Famous last words of a RedNeck "Hey Ya'll, WATCH THIS"

View solution in original post

johnnyenglish
Grandmaster

I've seen lots of replies here, and I can't really support the PCIe 3 vs PCIe 4 theory resulting in a on par or worst performer as a Polaris card. And I can vouch for that as I upgraded from a RX480 to a RX6800 still using PCIe3
Its a massive improvement!! Don't you ever doubt that. The RX6800 is a beast, of course that will depend greatly on what you do and games you play. But to put things into perspective...

Cyberpunk is the most obvious game, I'm talking 60fps in 4K where you could only get that much on a Polaris card was at 1080p with FSR and medium settings. (If you have doubts just head out to Youtube, there is plenty of videos there combining a 6800 and 2700X)

johnnyenglish_0-1661983400519.png

Of course having PCIe 4 will result in a better performance, but not that much I'm afraid. PCI generations will affect data transfers more like NVMe. And BTW people do forget that when buying 2 or more NVMe's for a normal Ryzen. Only the Threadripper will give you enough PCIe lanes for lots of drives and/or expansion.

Getting back to advice land

You can get the 6800XT but my advice is the same as @cpurpe91 be careful with PSU cables, the techtuber Jayztwocents blew an SSD mixing cables like that, don't do that with such an expensive card.

Also, I fear that 750Watt maybe short for the XT. I Got the non-XT and the box already says 750Watt as minimum and the TBP on the XT is higher. It will work on a solid PSU like yours but leave you capped if you upgrade later or start plugin other power hungry devices. I'm already stretched because of my peripherals and plenty RGB. 

As for the driver, I started a post a while ago stating if using DDU was really necessary, well...
I just updated the drivers inside adrenalin and all went fine. Still testing though..

Good Luck with the upgrade.

The Englishman

View solution in original post

24 Replies

Uninstall driver for the 580 before installing the 6800 then install the latest WHQL driver/software for it, also check on the card makers website for the minimum/recommended PSU wattage (don't cheap out (use gold rated or up), don't go by psu calculators), and use separate pcie power cables from psu to each plug-in on the card.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..

Hi man, I have an 750w 80 Gold power supply so I think I'm good in that side, but I know i need more PCI cables to power up the new gpu (8-pin x 3) so, Can I buy those cables anywhere or it depends?

0 Likes

Is your PSU modular? If it is then you should be able to just get them separately.

0 Likes

Make 100% sure you are buying the cables for your specific PSU you could start a fire or damage your hardware or both if you mix and match cables even from two PSUs of the same brand. They need to be the exact cables from the exact model of PSU you plan to use. I cannot stress this enough.

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB

Mmmm, thats a problem, gettin the exact cables for my psu its complicated, also my psu is semi-modular so Idk, Im worried for what u said... **bleep**

My psu is: Aerocool KCAS 750-GM 80 Plus Gold

I would drop spend the 100$ to 150$ to get a good 850w 80 plus gold PSU with 3 VGA connectors. I have the same CPU and an RX 6800 XT with 32GB of RAM and X570 motherboard. I would not run this combination with anything less than 850w 80 Plus Gold.

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB
0 Likes
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

This is a similar PSU to what I have. RM Series™ RM850 — 850 Watt 80 PLUS Gold Fully Modular ATX PSU (corsair.com)

0 Likes
vialli100
Forerunner

I upgraded from an RX 580 to RX 6700 XT and just swapped the cards out..

You don't have to uninstall the drivers, I just swapped them over and don't have any problems as the drivers are the same for both.. I am still on 22.3.1 as I find these the most stable..

I also have a fully modular 850w Seasonic PSU and already had the RX 580 on 2 separate cables..

If you have a Seasonic, you need to use Seasonic cables as they have different pinout..

AMD Ryzen 7 3700x, Asus Tuf Gaming RX 6700 XT, Asus TUF Gaming x570 Plus, 32gb G.Skill TZ neo 3600mhz, Samsung 980pro 1tb NVME, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1tb NVME, Lian Li Galahad AIO 240mm, Antec Titanium 1kw.
0 Likes

So I have an AeroCool KCAS 750GM 80 Gold, Its pretty complicated getting the exact pcie cables, so u sure any cable could help me? I don't want to start a fire... lol. As I Said before the model I bought (MSI Rx 6800 XT Gaming Z) have 3 connectors, 8 pin each one. I already did my research and I know I'm good with my 750w, But I'm scared I damage my pc.

No you need to get specific cables for that specific PSU.

0 Likes
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

I would call the manufacturer and see what you can do. Not all cables have the same pin layout and can cause SERIOUS issue. Even my 2 Corsair PSUs cables are not cross compatible. 

0 Likes

I got huge randomly occurring input (keyboard/mouse) lags after upgrade from RX 500 series to RX 6000 series GPU, which makes this PC practically not usable.
Tried a few recent driver versions up to latest beta - no result.
Will try 22.3.1 now. Thanks.

By the way, i've noticed video overlay with new GPU is too dark comparing with RX 500 series, so have to use "Outdoor" Video Profile preset in order to have proper picture brightness now, but anyway picture looks not that good as before with completely default settings (now it is not so colorful and less contrast).

0 Likes
Vynski
Exemplar

I see one problem before you even start.  The ASUS TUF B450M Plus Gaming board does not have a PCIe 4 slot, which the RX6800XT will suffer severely.  Your board only has PCIe 3 which has about 1/2 the bandwidth of a PCIe 4 slot.  This card will probably not perform any better than your RX580.  Here is an example;  I have 2 desktops, a RYZEN 9 3900X with a Radeon RX 5700XT GPU. benchmarks on the GPU using Unigine Heaven 176 FPS Ultra settings, Unigine Valley 188 FPS Ultra settings, and Unigine Superposition 121 FPS Ultra settings.   My Ryzen 7 2700 with a Radeon RX 480 (in a PCIe 4 slot) Heaven 124 FPS High settings, Valley 92 FPS High settings, and Superposition 37 FPS High settings.  Both machines are on MSI X570 boards.  The 3900X on a MEG ACE and the 2700X on an MPG Gaming Plus.

PCIe 3 has a transfer rate of 8 GT/s bandwidth

PCIe 4 has a 16 GB/s bandwidth.

My 2 cents are to get a new X570 board with PCIe 4 slots and don't hogtie your GPU capabilities. 

**bleep**, well so I have to change my Motherboard and maybe even my PSU... well thanks anyway man, I'm glad u let me know

0 Likes
Vynski
Exemplar

Sorry for the bad info on the PCIe4 bandwidth.  That was supposed to be 16 GT/s not 16 GB/s.  I have no excuse other than I'm an old fart. 

0 Likes

Thanks man, Imma buy a new board, any recomendations? 

0 Likes
DRDOS
Adept III

It would also worth to note this 16 GT/s is a transfer rate per single lane, since AMD now has GPU models with 8 lanes, and who knows if maybe some days we will see more ultra-modern super models with 4 or less PCIe5/PCIe6 lanes count...

In case of RX 6800 XT, PCIe3 port may limit performance for some games of course (it is very game-specific, some games won't be affected at all), but not that much as in case of those modern AMD GPU's that have 8-lanes PCIe4 port.

Thanks man, Im planning to buy a new Motherboard Micro ATX, any recomendations? 

0 Likes

Depends on your Budget, if you're wanting to upgrade to the new 7000 processors anytime soon i would stick it out, if not go for a board with PCIE 4.0 on GPU and M.2 Slots so that you can enable Smart access memory.

At least you have 3000 series CPU so you wont need to flash your bios for a new board, if you're on a budget but want features go for B550 board.

Id get a new 5000 series CPU at some point so that everything is PCIE 4.0 and is working nicely together

0 Likes

Just give me some boards recomendation, I don't think I'll change to the new 7000 processors any time soon maybe 5000 so just give any recomendation, also I need a Micro-ATX Board (forgot to said it before lol)

0 Likes
vialli100
Forerunner

I have the one at the bottom here and it's very good and stable.. Asus TUF Gaming x570 Plus..

Also it's x570 and not too expensive, from in my opinion the best manufacturer of Mobo's..

AMD Ryzen 7 3700x, Asus Tuf Gaming RX 6700 XT, Asus TUF Gaming x570 Plus, 32gb G.Skill TZ neo 3600mhz, Samsung 980pro 1tb NVME, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1tb NVME, Lian Li Galahad AIO 240mm, Antec Titanium 1kw.

Thank u!

0 Likes
johnnyenglish
Grandmaster

I've seen lots of replies here, and I can't really support the PCIe 3 vs PCIe 4 theory resulting in a on par or worst performer as a Polaris card. And I can vouch for that as I upgraded from a RX480 to a RX6800 still using PCIe3
Its a massive improvement!! Don't you ever doubt that. The RX6800 is a beast, of course that will depend greatly on what you do and games you play. But to put things into perspective...

Cyberpunk is the most obvious game, I'm talking 60fps in 4K where you could only get that much on a Polaris card was at 1080p with FSR and medium settings. (If you have doubts just head out to Youtube, there is plenty of videos there combining a 6800 and 2700X)

johnnyenglish_0-1661983400519.png

Of course having PCIe 4 will result in a better performance, but not that much I'm afraid. PCI generations will affect data transfers more like NVMe. And BTW people do forget that when buying 2 or more NVMe's for a normal Ryzen. Only the Threadripper will give you enough PCIe lanes for lots of drives and/or expansion.

Getting back to advice land

You can get the 6800XT but my advice is the same as @cpurpe91 be careful with PSU cables, the techtuber Jayztwocents blew an SSD mixing cables like that, don't do that with such an expensive card.

Also, I fear that 750Watt maybe short for the XT. I Got the non-XT and the box already says 750Watt as minimum and the TBP on the XT is higher. It will work on a solid PSU like yours but leave you capped if you upgrade later or start plugin other power hungry devices. I'm already stretched because of my peripherals and plenty RGB. 

As for the driver, I started a post a while ago stating if using DDU was really necessary, well...
I just updated the drivers inside adrenalin and all went fine. Still testing though..

Good Luck with the upgrade.

The Englishman

Yooo thanks man, but I already bought everything lol, board, psu and gpu. But thank u so much for letting me know this stuff Appreciated.

PS I may able to change everything next week. Super happy c: