Upgraded to RX 6800 - Keeps Crashing To Desktop

Hi

System Specs:

• PSU: Corsair Platinum SFX 600W
  • MoBo: x570 Aorus pro wifi
  • CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
  • GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 6800
  • RAM: 16gb DDR4 3200MHz Corsair Vengeance

Issue: Semi Random crashes to desktop whilst playing some games. I've got an unlisted youtube video which demonstrates the issue, in addition to showing a few statistics with reference to GPU load, temps, power etc.

Video of Issue: https://youtu.be/XxX5fiRgOeY

For those who can't watch the video, esstentially - when running a particularly graphically demanding area of a game, I get a random crash to desktop with no explanation given. When I check the statistics in the radeon software, it shows no particular strain or spikes on the graphics card or any of my other components. I did NOT have this issue before upgrading to the RX6800 (old card was a Nvidia GTX 980). Is this one of the famed driver issues AMD have or something more?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2 Solutions
Taze
Adept I

Update: 

So I booted to safe mode and ran the Guru3d DDU. Restarted the PC and ran flight sim. Usually San Francisco will just outright not load, and crash to desktop at the end of the loading screen. Since running the DDU, The game now loads San Francisco and will let me fly around. I can usually induce a crash by flying very quickly in close proximety to the ground - forcing the game to load the high res textures due to proximety. 

It's weird because my GPU, CPU & RAM are not showing in various performance monitoring software that they're maxing out at all. CPU sits usually around 30/40%, with one core usually at max clock speed (not unusual for AMD CPUs from what I understand), RAM is at around 10/11GB of 16BG being used (at 3200), and GPU is sitting with around 9GB V.RAM used with high clock speeds but a 70% ish usage across the card. 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Taze
Adept I

Hi all! Here for (hopefully) the final update. So I started trying to run other programs at the same time as running Star Citizen or Microsoft Flight Simulator. Turns out, programs were crashing due to not enough RAM. Looking at the RAM requirements for both of these games, they each require a minimum of 16gb (my current spec). Then it hit me, I didn't get these issues before because (at least in flight sim) my old graphics card wasn't good enough to switch to high settings. The RX 6800 didn't cause the problem, it just allowed me access to it. I checked my RAM usage in both of these games and they were maxing out my poor 16gb. 

Switching to lower settings in Flight Sim fixes the issue for me. It's not the case for star citizen but i'm actually in the process of upgrading to 32gb of RAM for flight sim so i'll check SC too when it arrives. 

Thanks for all your ideas everyone. 

TL;DR - It was RAM all along.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
40 Replies

I was able to play a game yesterday for 12 hours solid and didnt crash when I put setting to that but when I changed back to automatic it crashed 30 min into game.

Did you turn on you Memory access bar in motherboard has it also something I have done and could be a reason it working?

1. PSU: Corsair Platinum SFX 1050W
  2. MoBo: x570 Asus Prime Pro
  3. CPU: Ryzen 9 3900
  4. GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 6800
  5. RAM: 16gb DDR4 3200MHz Corsair Vengeance
0 Likes