Upgraded to RX 6800 - Keeps Crashing To Desktop

Hi

System Specs:

• PSU: Corsair Platinum SFX 600W
  • MoBo: x570 Aorus pro wifi
  • CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
  • GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 6800
  • RAM: 16gb DDR4 3200MHz Corsair Vengeance

Issue: Semi Random crashes to desktop whilst playing some games. I've got an unlisted youtube video which demonstrates the issue, in addition to showing a few statistics with reference to GPU load, temps, power etc.

Video of Issue: https://youtu.be/XxX5fiRgOeY

For those who can't watch the video, esstentially - when running a particularly graphically demanding area of a game, I get a random crash to desktop with no explanation given. When I check the statistics in the radeon software, it shows no particular strain or spikes on the graphics card or any of my other components. I did NOT have this issue before upgrading to the RX6800 (old card was a Nvidia GTX 980). Is this one of the famed driver issues AMD have or something more?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

17 Replies
Highlighted
Challenger
Challenger

Re: Upgraded to RX 6800 - Keeps Crashing To Desktop

Your system doesn't meet the minimum PSU requirement of 650 watts. Personally I think it should be 750 watt.

Highlighted
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

I watched your video I don't see how you can possibly be hitting a PSU spike, can you check the CPU usage during the game? this seem like a bottleneck, check the CPU usage and report back, right now I'd say, drivers.
Most PSU spikes would kill the system with a BSOD not a game crash

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Challenger
Challenger

If the OP doesn't meet the minimum PSU AMD would probably not allow an RMA. Your right about BSOD. But running a system on a PSU that's under powered can also cause damage. There's reports that the RX 6800 series cards are producing random power spikes.

https://community.amd.com/t5/general-discussions/power-requirements-for-graphics-cards/m-p/423457#M2...

Highlighted
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

I am sure that this is a psu problem probably you need more watts in the psu cause you have a 3600 that can get max at 95w plus gpu to 250 w so i guess you need more watts for the power suply

Highlighted
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Thanks for the responses guys. It's annoying that the SF750 is sold out everywhere at the moment. It's the reason i'm still running the SF600. I'll try to upgrade ASAP and hopefully i'll see some improvement. 

I'm a bit confused though, as both the GPU & CPU seem to be showing moderate use, with no drastic power spikes anywhere. Regardless i'll aim to test with some more wattage!

Highlighted
Adept II
Adept II

Odd sounding question but how old is your psu?  If it is a few years old it may be time for an upgrade as it won't be as efficient and can't push the 600 watts on the 12v rail that it would need.  I am skeptical that it is a max power issue, but generally PSU's will lose some after a while.

Your psu is rated to push 600w on the 12v rail alone.  Power usage by that cpu and that gpu are not high enough to top this....if it is running perfectly, but that is usually the issue...it likely isn't pushing 600w and that is why they tend to go higher.

As for the drivers, I would suggest doing the no software method of install.  Unsintall the software and drivers, and wipe using a drivers sweeper of your choice to clean it all out.  Then download the driver package, and run it until it extracts...usually to the C:\AMD folder.  Then use device manager to install the driver without the software and manually point it to that folder for the drivers.  You lose some functions, but most games will play just the same.

Hope that helps.

Highlighted
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

I have the same Corsair SF600 PSU and Sapphire 6800 GPU.  All DirectX10/11/12 and OpenGL games crash to desktop and most of the time with DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG.  Funny thing is Vulkan and DirectX9 games seem fine.  I can play Vulkan Doom Eternal at 1080 Ultra Nightmare fine and see it drawing about 350W max from wall watt meter but DirectX11 Battlefield 4 crashes to desktop while drawing only about 130W so well below PSU capacity.  Seems like a driver issue from my experience with trying some new drivers with 5600XT GPU.  Anyhow, just bought a new Corsair SF750 to rule out PSU.  It still crashes.  Have tried everything I can think of from different Windows 10 Pro x64 versions 20H2 and 2004, latest and also pre-Zen 3 BIOS for Asus B550-I motherboard , disabling 3800XT CPU core boost capping 3.9GHz clock, disabling Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600 CL16 32GB 16GBx2 memory XMP so running memory at 2666MHz, forcing slot to PCIe 3.0, etc.  System is new and was running games fine prior with a temporary GT1030 GPU.  Hoping to get new drivers to try soon.

Anyone else with this issue please confirm if it's only affecting DX10/11/12 and OpenGL games but not Vulkan and DirectX9.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

It's a difficult situation. If this is widespread and not isolated to just a few of us, I'd think AMD would release some kind of driver update soon. I'm very much new to AMD and have heard bad things about their track record when it comes to drivers but haven't looked too far into it. Here's hoping if it is an issue with the drivers that it gets fixed soon. In the meantime i've ordered a 750w power supply but i'm going to have to wait a couple weeks for it to be back in stock. I'll keep everyone posted. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Big Boss
Big Boss

I'm curious as to why you chose to run in low settings (there's a number of vids. on Navi 1 med./high/v high perf. bench).

Did you try higher settings, are your other games crashes also low graphics settings.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3200c16d kit, Aorus nvme gen4 1tb,
0 Kudos