Upgraded to RX 6800 - Keeps Crashing To Desktop

Hi

System Specs:

• PSU: Corsair Platinum SFX 600W
  • MoBo: x570 Aorus pro wifi
  • CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
  • GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 6800
  • RAM: 16gb DDR4 3200MHz Corsair Vengeance

Issue: Semi Random crashes to desktop whilst playing some games. I've got an unlisted youtube video which demonstrates the issue, in addition to showing a few statistics with reference to GPU load, temps, power etc.

Video of Issue: https://youtu.be/XxX5fiRgOeY

For those who can't watch the video, esstentially - when running a particularly graphically demanding area of a game, I get a random crash to desktop with no explanation given. When I check the statistics in the radeon software, it shows no particular strain or spikes on the graphics card or any of my other components. I did NOT have this issue before upgrading to the RX6800 (old card was a Nvidia GTX 980). Is this one of the famed driver issues AMD have or something more?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2 Solutions
Taze
Adept I

Update: 

So I booted to safe mode and ran the Guru3d DDU. Restarted the PC and ran flight sim. Usually San Francisco will just outright not load, and crash to desktop at the end of the loading screen. Since running the DDU, The game now loads San Francisco and will let me fly around. I can usually induce a crash by flying very quickly in close proximety to the ground - forcing the game to load the high res textures due to proximety. 

It's weird because my GPU, CPU & RAM are not showing in various performance monitoring software that they're maxing out at all. CPU sits usually around 30/40%, with one core usually at max clock speed (not unusual for AMD CPUs from what I understand), RAM is at around 10/11GB of 16BG being used (at 3200), and GPU is sitting with around 9GB V.RAM used with high clock speeds but a 70% ish usage across the card. 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Taze
Adept I

Hi all! Here for (hopefully) the final update. So I started trying to run other programs at the same time as running Star Citizen or Microsoft Flight Simulator. Turns out, programs were crashing due to not enough RAM. Looking at the RAM requirements for both of these games, they each require a minimum of 16gb (my current spec). Then it hit me, I didn't get these issues before because (at least in flight sim) my old graphics card wasn't good enough to switch to high settings. The RX 6800 didn't cause the problem, it just allowed me access to it. I checked my RAM usage in both of these games and they were maxing out my poor 16gb. 

Switching to lower settings in Flight Sim fixes the issue for me. It's not the case for star citizen but i'm actually in the process of upgrading to 32gb of RAM for flight sim so i'll check SC too when it arrives. 

Thanks for all your ideas everyone. 

TL;DR - It was RAM all along.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
40 Replies
bearcat22
Miniboss

Your system doesn't meet the minimum PSU requirement of 650 watts. Personally I think it should be 750 watt.

bizzlebug
Adept I

I watched your video I don't see how you can possibly be hitting a PSU spike, can you check the CPU usage during the game? this seem like a bottleneck, check the CPU usage and report back, right now I'd say, drivers.
Most PSU spikes would kill the system with a BSOD not a game crash

0 Likes

If the OP doesn't meet the minimum PSU AMD would probably not allow an RMA. Your right about BSOD. But running a system on a PSU that's under powered can also cause damage. There's reports that the RX 6800 series cards are producing random power spikes.

https://community.amd.com/t5/general-discussions/power-requirements-for-graphics-cards/m-p/423457#M2...

THICC_D0GG0
Adept II

I am sure that this is a psu problem probably you need more watts in the psu cause you have a 3600 that can get max at 95w plus gpu to 250 w so i guess you need more watts for the power suply

Taze
Adept I

Thanks for the responses guys. It's annoying that the SF750 is sold out everywhere at the moment. It's the reason i'm still running the SF600. I'll try to upgrade ASAP and hopefully i'll see some improvement. 

I'm a bit confused though, as both the GPU & CPU seem to be showing moderate use, with no drastic power spikes anywhere. Regardless i'll aim to test with some more wattage!

Odd sounding question but how old is your psu?  If it is a few years old it may be time for an upgrade as it won't be as efficient and can't push the 600 watts on the 12v rail that it would need.  I am skeptical that it is a max power issue, but generally PSU's will lose some after a while.

Your psu is rated to push 600w on the 12v rail alone.  Power usage by that cpu and that gpu are not high enough to top this....if it is running perfectly, but that is usually the issue...it likely isn't pushing 600w and that is why they tend to go higher.

As for the drivers, I would suggest doing the no software method of install.  Unsintall the software and drivers, and wipe using a drivers sweeper of your choice to clean it all out.  Then download the driver package, and run it until it extracts...usually to the C:\AMD folder.  Then use device manager to install the driver without the software and manually point it to that folder for the drivers.  You lose some functions, but most games will play just the same.

Hope that helps.

I have the same Corsair SF600 PSU and Sapphire 6800 GPU.  All DirectX10/11/12 and OpenGL games crash to desktop and most of the time with DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG.  Funny thing is Vulkan and DirectX9 games seem fine.  I can play Vulkan Doom Eternal at 1080 Ultra Nightmare fine and see it drawing about 350W max from wall watt meter but DirectX11 Battlefield 4 crashes to desktop while drawing only about 130W so well below PSU capacity.  Seems like a driver issue from my experience with trying some new drivers with 5600XT GPU.  Anyhow, just bought a new Corsair SF750 to rule out PSU.  It still crashes.  Have tried everything I can think of from different Windows 10 Pro x64 versions 20H2 and 2004, latest and also pre-Zen 3 BIOS for Asus B550-I motherboard , disabling 3800XT CPU core boost capping 3.9GHz clock, disabling Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600 CL16 32GB 16GBx2 memory XMP so running memory at 2666MHz, forcing slot to PCIe 3.0, etc.  System is new and was running games fine prior with a temporary GT1030 GPU.  Hoping to get new drivers to try soon.

Anyone else with this issue please confirm if it's only affecting DX10/11/12 and OpenGL games but not Vulkan and DirectX9.

0 Likes

It's a difficult situation. If this is widespread and not isolated to just a few of us, I'd think AMD would release some kind of driver update soon. I'm very much new to AMD and have heard bad things about their track record when it comes to drivers but haven't looked too far into it. Here's hoping if it is an issue with the drivers that it gets fixed soon. In the meantime i've ordered a 750w power supply but i'm going to have to wait a couple weeks for it to be back in stock. I'll keep everyone posted. 

0 Likes

It is possible your problem is driver related. But you could be wasting alot of time if you don't upgrade your PSU. And like I said before, using an under powered PSU could do expensive damage. There are other high quality PSU's out there besides Corsairs. 

I don't think I'd be waiting too long to figure it out. I'm not sure about the USA but in Canada you have 10 days to get your money back no questions asked. If the card doesn't work with the newest drivers you should be packing it up and sending it back.

0 Likes

@bearcat22 This is for an ITX build so not too many choices for SFX PSUs and Corsair seem to be the recommended choice.  Also, 6800 is hard to find right now plus there's a 15 day return policy so no rush to rid of it.  Have owned a 5600XT so not new to waiting for AMD drivers to mature.  For now I have to limit game titles to Vulkan and DX9. ;)

0 Likes

I'm curious as to why you chose to run in low settings (there's a number of vids. on Navi 1 med./high/v high perf. bench).

Did you try higher settings, are your other games crashes also low graphics settings.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes

Hi, I chose low because anything higher seemed to destroy my frames for some reason (we're talking sub 20fps in that initial spawn bed). Going off recollection alone, I seem to remember my GTX 980 seemed to get better frames than my 6800 which seems drastically wrong to me? It's a problem i'm experiencing in this game specifically. The same crash seems to happen regardless of my game settings. 

0 Likes

The lowest hanging fruit here is definitely your PSU.  Order a new one and try the other driver things while you wait for it.  A new PSU certainly won't hurt, and it is the simplest, if not the easiest fix.

I would highly recommend the no software install though.  Fixed my 5800 issues handily.

0 Likes

@thelvyn Already tried a bigger SF750 PSU.  Also, with and without AMD software (driver only installed via device manager)  and same issue.

@Ailvaras530 Already tried DDU but even better is clean install of Windows 10 Pro x64 20H2 and 2004.  Same issue.

0 Likes

@mi7chy Sorry but troubleshooting two systems at the same time when both had PSU's is hard.  Both you and the thread starters should just go down the list.  Maybe it is a driver issue, or a straight issue with a PSU, or it could be a specific feature, or even a couple of bad cards with specific components being the problem.  Hard to say, but crossing over is not a good way to troubleshoot it.

That being said, for your specific issue I would start your own thread, and try it that way.  On here it just gets everyone confused.  Hope you find help on it.

0 Likes

You answered half the question.

What are the other games you have issues with.

SC is a NV title/coded game, in alpha/beta stage .

So. got a link to your issue on SC forum ?

Have you sent an official bug report to amd.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes

I have the issue in Microsoft Flight Simulator too. Although I can't confirm it as I don't own enough of them, it seems to happen in games that really push it on graphical performance, at moments of particular strain. 

That particular area on star citizen always caused performance issues on my old card, but would never crash. Likewise in microsoft flight simulator, it's only ever when I go to a large city that the game crashes. 

I've played many hours of Rust on the new card and it's behaved perfectly fine with no issues. Does anyone know what would happen if the card could not draw it's required power from the psu? Would I get a crash to desktop or would the software see what's going on and nope out? Thoughts?

0 Likes

Well from my perspective going from R9 390 to Rx5700xt, i started games with settings of 390, then mostly went up.

There also is the 'using two separate pci cables' to card, not the daisy chain 1 to 2 connector cable.

Trying to find a psu issue can be really hard, once had an 850w that would drop to 10.3x 12v under sustained heavy long loads.

Also another 5yr old tier 1 psu having probs on newer gen cards at the time.

Newer recent cards (from both) seem to have reported(debatable) over peaks occasionally, so yeh any psu not up to current standards could/maybe run issues, hard one to call really.

But having psu below recc.., trouble sooner or later.

0 Likes

Hate to say it Taze but really...you won't find an answer and then get to implement the solution.  You will implement 5 solutions and the last one will be the answer.  That is just how this type of troubleshooting works.  Go with this run down.

I think you have done enough that a new PSU is worth trying.  Maybe even get one you can return if it doesn't fix it.  Pain in the butt when it doesn't seem like it makes sense, but do the PSU then maybe RMA if it doesn't look like it worked.

When troubleshooting you need to run down every step...it is the only way to do it.

0 Likes

Picked up a RTX 3080 this morning as a backup plan.  If drivers are fixed before my return period I'll keep the 6800 otherwise I'll swap cards.  No pressure AMD you still have time.

0 Likes

Hi guys, 

Just thought I'd give my input on this.

I think I might be having the same issues with the 6800. Random crashes that take me back to the desktop while playing warzone, apex and CS GO. I haven't tried anything else, but I assume it would probably be the same story. The error message is device driver timeout. But that could be something else causing this right? I was wondering if you guys had the bug report tool on in the AMD adrenaline software? Thats the only way that I was able to see further info on the crash. 

It's a brand new build, so I don't think there are any strange reasons why this should be happening. I've tried everything to fix this, updated everything, clean windows install, messed around with clock speeds and changing numerous settings. But it's still not happy. So basically I think it must be a driver issue! 

Specs:

Motherboard- Asus x570 plus wifi

CPU- Ryzen 5 3600

RAM- G skills Ripjaws 3200mhz 32gb

SSD- Addlink S70 1tb

PSU- Corsair RM750X

GPU- Radeon 6800

0 Likes

@Skernian Sounds like you did your due diligence like I did.  Which brand of 6800 (AMD, Sapphire, Powercolor, etc.)?  So far it's Sapphire.  If it's that easy I can try swapping for a different brand of 6800 although I thought they were just rebranded reference AMD cards.

0 Likes

Mine is the Sapphire card, although I was under the same impression that it was just a rebranded reference card. 

I'd like to think that I'm pretty sure it's not a hardware fault with the card. At least it's not behaving that way. So it's a software issue and all of the 6800 cards will be running the same drivers. So I'm not sure if it would be as simple as a swap for another card. It may just be that something in our systems is causing an incompatibility problem. As there are plenty of people out there happily gaming away on their 6800's.

It's a pretty crap situation to be in though. I'm trying to have the patience to at least wait for a driver update and see if that sorts things out......

0 Likes

Mines a Sapphire too. Although very much a rebranded reference card. Interesting comment earlier about the amd software bug report suggesting that this or similar issues are indeed a driver issue. I have other games that work flawlessly. I even managed a full session on flight sim yesterday in an area that usually crashes for me. Weird. 

I'm trying to figure out whether it's worth using my 14 day refund or not or whether it would happen with any card on my pc. 

0 Likes
Ailvaras530
Journeyman III

Try DDU

Display driver unistaller

Moving to RedTeam
0 Likes
Taze
Adept I

Update: 

So I booted to safe mode and ran the Guru3d DDU. Restarted the PC and ran flight sim. Usually San Francisco will just outright not load, and crash to desktop at the end of the loading screen. Since running the DDU, The game now loads San Francisco and will let me fly around. I can usually induce a crash by flying very quickly in close proximety to the ground - forcing the game to load the high res textures due to proximety. 

It's weird because my GPU, CPU & RAM are not showing in various performance monitoring software that they're maxing out at all. CPU sits usually around 30/40%, with one core usually at max clock speed (not unusual for AMD CPUs from what I understand), RAM is at around 10/11GB of 16BG being used (at 3200), and GPU is sitting with around 9GB V.RAM used with high clock speeds but a 70% ish usage across the card. 

0 Likes

I have now also tried in Star Citizen and the issue seems to have resolved. I now get 40fps in the area as opposed to 20 and have not crashed so far. It seems these are pretty typical frames for Star Citizen. I'd definitely reccommend the Guru3D DDU if you haven't tried that yet, especially if you've come from team green. 

0 Likes

I have now done a few more performance tests. The issue has IMPROVED but is NOT resolved unfortunetly. I can now get a bit further but the games both still crash in other areas. It's a shame because I thought I'd finally fixed this.. apparently not. 

0 Likes

For now, I've pulled the 6800 and replaced with my 5600XT which runs fine in the same system while waiting for updated 6800 drivers.

0 Likes

I to was having problems like this if you have docp enabled you might want to set that to auto. 

if you cpuz check the ram timings.

with auto settings and docp settings.

example i was using corsair 3600 mhz ram c18 when i had it overclocked to 3800mhz i was getting crashes while idling or rendering or browsing internet or youtube. the screen would just freeze. when i set ram back to 3600mhz. Problem subsided but still happened randomly. If i click around on a youtube video is when the desktop crash happens.

ram corsair 3600 mhz c18

ram timings 3:54 18,22,22,42,84 T1 docp

ram timings 3:32 15,15,15,36,51 T1 Auto

I now use corsair 3600mhz c14 ram

ram timings 3:54 14,16,16,36,83 t1 docp no overclock if i overclock the nb frequency goes below 1000mhz

if i use auto ram speed goes below 3000mhz

nb and dram frequency are both 1800mhz

0 Likes

The final fix for me was RMA.  Replacement GPU has zero of the issues I had before with DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG in multiple games and also browsing/streaming video, intermittent black screen, etc.

0 Likes
Fazzi
Journeyman III

For months I had the same problem. The game was crashing every 5 to 20 minutes randomly.

i found out that, if you turn off the free sync in game it won’t change resolve the random crash. I still left it turned off.

But, if you turn off the free sync in the AMD driver software. It will stop the random crash to windows.

for me it was the solution. I hope it can help other people.

k

Keep in mind that I have currently everything up to date. Drivers and windows etc.

0 Likes
Taze
Adept I

Hi all! Here for (hopefully) the final update. So I started trying to run other programs at the same time as running Star Citizen or Microsoft Flight Simulator. Turns out, programs were crashing due to not enough RAM. Looking at the RAM requirements for both of these games, they each require a minimum of 16gb (my current spec). Then it hit me, I didn't get these issues before because (at least in flight sim) my old graphics card wasn't good enough to switch to high settings. The RX 6800 didn't cause the problem, it just allowed me access to it. I checked my RAM usage in both of these games and they were maxing out my poor 16gb. 

Switching to lower settings in Flight Sim fixes the issue for me. It's not the case for star citizen but i'm actually in the process of upgrading to 32gb of RAM for flight sim so i'll check SC too when it arrives. 

Thanks for all your ideas everyone. 

TL;DR - It was RAM all along.

0 Likes
Acidcobra
Adept I

• PSU: Corsair Platinum SFX 1050W
  • MoBo: Asus Prime pro 570x
  • CPU: Ryzen 9 3900
  • GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 6800
  • RAM: 32gb DDR4 3200MHz Corsair Vengeance 

I Have same problem with it crashing while playing AC: Valhalla

Uninstalled drivers and software plus games and cleared reg and all files before installing again but still have same problem where it crashes to desktop at random.

0 Likes

Was drivers

adrenaline 21.1.1 solves this issue

0 Likes

yeah I on 21.1.1 and still happening even after a clean install

0 Likes

I am having the same issue does not matter what driver I use,  I  have used UUD to uninstall drivers and reinstalled them I have reinstalled windows and my games keep crashing. Some times they run for an hour and other times they crash on startup. It seems to get worse and worse and now  I am at the point where I can boot up any game and the game crashes I get the following error GPU Crashed Or D3d Device Remove

I am out of ideas games are unplayable and I am starting to lose all faith in this card I have sent a number of reports for different games and not getting any feedback

I am probably going to keep trouble shooting for a few days but I probably going to return this card and switch back to team green again. 

I don't understand how you can let someone pay so much more a GPU and it just does not work.  

Under Radeon software go to performance - Tuning and change to preset Balanced

don't think it is a fix but was able to play a game for couple hours with no crash

0 Likes

not for me, still haveing the same issue

0 Likes