cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Power2PC
Journeyman III

Upgrade 5700XT VRAM to 16GB? (with SMD soldering)

Yes, I know all the risks with doing this. I have experience with SMD soldering and also the needed equipment. I know this is super pointless and risky, but I'm a hardware hacker by heart

I have a 5700XT Liquid Devil, uses Micron MT61K256M32JE-14 which are limiting in capacity for Stable diffusion (Radeon modified) and some VR games.

I have Red Bios Editor for VBIOS memory timings modifications, CH341A SPI flash/rom programmer along with its software. Also have HEX editor software (if things get manual).

I know that the Apple W5700X which uses Navi10 has 16Gb of memory which means that the memory controller can handle higher capacities than 8Gb. I can obtain Samsung (2Gbit) K4ZAF325BM-HC16 or HC14 ICs fairly easily. The speed rating of the memory chips shouldn't matter as long as its at least 14GT/s rated.

If I cant get anywhere with finding VBIOS memory configuration information, I will analyse the BIOS structure and manually splice parts of the Apple W5700X BIOS into my 5700XT BIOS.

Regarding the procedure, are there any configuration resistors for the memory controller I need to change to allow a higher capacity to be recognised? Is memory capacity configured in the VBIOS? If so, how? By default the card still may only pick up 8192Mb of the 16384Mb when upgraded, so its important to know this information ahead of time.

Cheers (This may be too technical for here, if so sorry)

0 Likes
2 Replies
MADZyren
Paragon

Can't help you, but if you get it working, please share how it works and performs.

DimkaTsv
Miniboss

You definitely should ask questions of this sort on professional overclockers or modders forum. This one is just too casual of forum for such thing.
Problem shouldn't be with increasing memory capacity by itself via soldering. BIOS changes will be pain in the ass, as you not just modify memory amount, but also make it recognisable by GPU which have it's own code depending on manufacturer and chips from what i know. But if you manage to get this one working, props on you. 
As for capacitor config... I have no idea. Try looking for similar topics on more serious forums, maybe some people had success and you can ask them for details. 

At least i can say that with RX 5000 series you have chance, as there is a way to write unsigned VBIOS on these. With RX 6000 it would've never worked as you won't ger AMD permission to create custom BIOS and there is currently no way to write an unsigned one. 

0 Likes