cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

emile0
Newcomer

Unstable manual overclock rx590

Hello ! Thanks for looking at my question.

I have the rx590 8GB.

You can do an automatic overclock in the Radeon control panel.

If I do this, I get about 1640MHz (80 MHz more then base clock - 5% more) on my GPU-clock.

This is very stable and works excellent.

I checked if the overclock applies and stuff, and it does. (checked it with Unigine)

But this automatic overclock doesn't boost my VRAM.

So I tried to do the GPU-clock first of all manually to do the VRAM clock later.

But the problem is that the GPU-clock already crashes when the it is higher then 2%. (only 31.2Mhz more)

Does anyone know how to fix this? Or is this normal?

0 Likes
1 Solution

No real need to overclock a video card, the boost feature has that handled when its needed

video cards are already running as hot as their coolers can handle

View solution in original post

0 Likes
7 Replies
emile0
Newcomer

The video card is an Asrock Phantom Gaming X Radeon RX590 8G OC

0 Likes
morelock
Adept II

First question - the only thing you are changing manually is the mhz? You didn't touch anything else? (just making sure it's only one change at a time)

So when you use auto overclock, it passes Uningine (which one?) multiple runs, correct?

When you Manually Over clock, it passes up until you add above 31mhz? at 31.2 it fails, also correct?

If all that is true, try raising the voltage a little. (go by roughly 10 at a time... so if it's at 1100, try 1110.) at 31.2 and see if it passes.

Watch your temperatures when you raise the voltage.

0 Likes

Yes, the only thing I'm changing is the MHz and it passes the extreme run and the base run.

And I don't know what happened but now it already crashes at 1%.

Even when I raise the voltage.

I found something new though :

If I try manual overclock, I have to restart the computer after it's applied or everything (games en benchmarks) crashes.

Even when I go back to the base clock, everything still crashes so I think I might have a different problem then I thought.

This problem was probably there in the first place, but I  didn't notice because I shut my pc down soon after.

I'm running the newest (stable) version of radeon software adrenaline 2020.

I've reinstalled it a couple of times a couple days ago. The version can't be the problem.

Also tried the early release version but that one gave the same problems.

0 Likes

Hmm, so is it stable at base clock now? Have you tried the other automatic settings besides overclock (undervolt, etc) are they stable?

did you use ddu to remove the old drivers? If you have installed the software a few times could be some remnants. Also, run windows cleanup and remove the cache. 

Try using the reset button in adrenaline software between manual / automatic clocks and see if it does the same. 

0 Likes

DDU is a staple in my shop

0 Likes

i recommend using the stock clocks, if the card is not powerful enough there is always the RTX 2080 Ti....

0 Likes

No real need to overclock a video card, the boost feature has that handled when its needed

video cards are already running as hot as their coolers can handle

0 Likes