Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

gordonfreeman59
Journeyman III

Unreal Engine games running terrible with microstutter

Hi guys,

I just got my 5700 XT and I'm getting bad performance in Unreal Engine games. Unreal Engine 3 and 4 games are getting stutter and microstutter. Easily repeatable in for example, Red Orchestra 2 and Squad. I'm sick of this and thinking of returning my card. AMD?

12 Replies
olegrus
Adept I

Hello. Same problems still here with driver version 19.10.1.
It was terrible gaming with WHQL driver version before in Squad. It is better now with 19.10.1 driver, but still laggish.

The FPS drops or lags could be in some moments:
1. microlags when spawning at main or rally point or jumping out from vehicle;
2. microlags when taking aim;
3. macrolags when grenade explode near you;
4. macrolags around 3-5 sec. each 15-20 min. without reason;
5. different microstutters on huge maps;
6. black grass on some big maps like Yehorivka (it could be seen immediately at load map menu when soldier logo is running).

I had different microstutters on huge maps also with my Sapphire RX 580 Nitro+ Special Edition, and I solved this problem when I disable cache option in driver.

Also there are huge PC freezes with i-Menu software from AOC when I load it up.

System Specs:
1. Intel i7-7700K;
2. MB Gigabyte GA-B250-HD3;
3. Kingston Fury DDR4 16Gb (4x4);
4. Sapphire RX 5700 Pulse;
5. SSD OCZ Trion 150;
6. BeQuite 600W;
7. Ethernet Intel CT;
8. AOC G2260VWQ6 Freesync monitor with 1920x1080 resolution and 75Hz frequency at Display Port 1.1 mode.

hitbm47
Forerunner

Hi gordonfreeman59

This has been a huge issue for Unreal Tournament 3 since the end of 2016, and they haven't applied a fix yet (although they apparently found the problem).

Will try to link this thread on the appropriate developer forums.

Kind regards

Jacques

0 Likes

Same problems with 19.10.2 driver.

I understand that Unreal engine is too far from ideal, but as I said there were no problems with my RX 580 last half of the year since I disabled cache in Radeon settings. Think about it.

And as I know Unreal developers dont like AMD hardware... Interesting, why...

I think my RX 5700 is last red card that I buy. I tired from this misunderstanding after 19 years.

Hi olegrus

I have disabled the shader cache for Unreal Tournament 3, but it did not improve performance at all. It still drops down to 40FPS with almost no GPU utilization on my RX 480 & Ryzen 5 1600, whereas testing my GTX 1060 in the same system maintains 120FPS+ in the exact same areas with better GPU utilization.

The RX 480 doesn't have this problem with Unreal Tournament 3 16.9.2 drivers, therefore it is related to the graphics drivers. AMD driver issues made me spend a lot of unnecessary money, upgrading from my R9 280 to RX 480, i7 870 to Ryzen 5 1600 barely improved performance in most of my games, since the Drivers were the culprit in the end. Simply buying a re-certified GTX 1060 solved most of my performance issues due to better CPU & GPU utilization.

I am also not buying a Radeon card anytime soon, because almost every time they add new features or improvements for new games it impacts older games or features for some reason which is unacceptable.

Kind regards

0 Likes
tybost
Adept I

This needs to be fixed before my refund window is up. C'mon team red! I took a gamble on you because of those sweet reviews and performance numbers... but this stuttering and frame dropping is a bad experience!

Edit: The game I'm referring to having a bad experience is called: Squad (UE4) which has major stuttering every 5 seconds.

(Copy paste from post above)

The FPS drops or lags could be in some moments:
1. microlags when spawning at main or rally point or jumping out from vehicle;
2. microlags when taking aim;
3. macrolags when grenade explode near you;
4. macrolags around 3-5 sec. each 15-20 min. without reason;
5. different microstutters on huge maps;
6. black grass on some big maps like Yehorivka (it could be seen immediately at load map menu when soldier logo is running).

My personal specs:

i7 7700k (stock)

RX 5700 XT

16GB DDR4 3200mhz

WIN-10

2560x1440p

850 evo SSD

Final edit: I have regrettably decided to send back my 5700 XT to switch back to team green. Most of the games I play are UE4 so this $400 experience isn't ideal for me. Wish you all the best.

The problem with reviews is that they generally use very good single threaded CPUs such as the latest Intel i5's or i7's which hides Graphics Driver Overhead a bit compared to mid-tier CPUs.

Maybe we should try to get a reviewers attention on this, JayZsTwoCents for example, because it is really a major game breaking experience. In addition, the OpenGL Wolfenstein The New Order & The Old Blood performs horribly with Radeon Drivers, although Doom 3 BFG and Quake 4 can do constant 60FPS.

Kind regards

0 Likes
hitbm47
Forerunner

Hey guys, the driver developers primarily investigate issues reported in this forum OpenGL & Vulkan even for DirectX9, 11, 12. I had to find out the hard way, but I mentioned this thread on one of my threads there Radeon RX 480 driver performance issues and bugs, OpenGL, Vulkan, DirectX, Mantle so hopefully they read it.

I suggest that you guys also make posts in the OpenGL & Vulkan forum where you first have to be approved of posting there.

0 Likes

I don't see an easy path to getting approved over there. Could you relay the following thread to OPENGL & VULKAN category for us too. https://community.amd.com/message/2938242?commentID=2938242#comment-2938242 

Squad (UE4) game has it really bad right now and I don't see it being talked about much over there.

Edit: While I'm bailing on my RX 5700 XT and going back for Team Green. I send hope to the realm of AMD. Good Luck fellas!

Hi tybost

I will see if I can start a new thread with the link.

Here is a link to the new post, https://community.amd.com/message/2938465 

hitbm47
Forerunner

Popular Tech reviewers that might look into it

Tech of Tomorrow email:   elric@techoftomorrow.com

JayzTwoCents email:         jayztwocents@gmail.com

Tech Yes City:                     bryan@techcity.tv

Kind regards

0 Likes