Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Dallyo
Journeyman III

Unreal coil whine on new reference RX 6700 XT

Hello,

recently I've got a brand new RX 6700 XT from AMD.com (reference design). Initially I was really happy with it, but one day (and over time) it started screeching, like really screeching. The coil whine is so loud, I can even hear it through my headphones and in the other room. Sometimes I can also hear slight ticking noise while scrolling web. My previous GPUs (RX580, GTX1070) had no coil whine at all, and I know it's a known fact that GPUs can make this sound, but in my opinion my is really extreme, it's like sitting next to a buzzer.

Things I've tried were reinstalling drivers (after DDUing them), two different PSUs, two cables from PSU, undervolting, overclocking, disabling SAM, disabling instant replay, and even running benchmarks 24 hours straight. Capping FPS at my monitor refresh rate (144) doesn't help, as well as caping FPS to something like 60 (which is kinda not what I want with this GPU). Performance of the card is OK, as well as temperatures.

My specs are:

ASUS TUF B550 Plus
Ryzen 5 3600
Radeon RX 6700 XT (Reference from AMD.com)
16GB of DDR4 @3600Mhz
CoolerMaster MWE Gold 750 (modular)

Any more tips what could be wrong, or should I just open an RMA ticket?

Thanks!

0 Likes
3 Replies

If you are positive the extreme noise is from the GPU and not from somewhere else then I suggest you open a AMD Warranty if you purchased it from AMD Store from here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/warranty-information/rma-form

If it is from a 3rd party Manufacturer then I suggest you open a Warranty with the manufacturer.

AncientSlav
Adept I

Hi man. I got th same exact thing. I own a brand new Sapphire Nitro+ RX6700XT. The temps are phenomenal, really under 60C even in this summer heat, where my MSI Gaming X 1660ti was 70C or more and that's just a 130W card. It has low noise fans that spun at max 1400RPM (inaudible to me with headphones) and I guess much lower in winter - cool.

I have the ticking noise and also coil whine in games. Games, whether uncapped 500+FPS or capped to my 240Hz monitor has severe bleeding coil whine. And even lower 144Hz has bad coil whine.

What I do find odd is why it has the ticking noise. It's silent when I don't do anything. When I'm hovering mouse over ikons, white background or web, I get the noise. When hovering over black background, silence. But basically it ticks all the time, since you use PC randomly. It's not audible much, almost inaudible, only with ear close to PC, but worries me the card could get damaged. 

But the coil whine is so bad, it makes my head literally hurt and not want to play any games. 

0 Likes
Geforsikus_2021
Challenger

Well there are a couple of options: 1) slightly reduce the frequency of the video card (preferably below 2500 MHz) 2) try to replace the power supply with a more powerful 850w, or just another brand. If it doesn't help, try changing the video card, in theory, if you recently took it, then you should change it.

0 Likes