cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

alpinekid69
Adept I

Two monitor problem

I have a new AMD Radeon RX580 8GB GDDR5 PCI-E 3.0 in a NEW computer.

Also, I do not do any gaming. I just wanted a faster up to date computer.

I have a HP Pavilion 27xi 27-inch Diagonal IPS LED Backlit Monitor (with resolution set to 1920 x 1080) & at first had it cabled via the DVI-D (Dual Link).

I have as a 2nd monitor that is an AOC 27V2H & had it cabled via HDMI.

When I went to Settings > Display, the AOC 27V2H was set as #1 & I can/could not get it to change.

Both monitors had background color & pictures. But the mouse would/will not go between the monitors.

The reason I got this card was because it should be able to use two (2) or even three (3) monitors. And I am thinking that the mouse should/would go between all monitors.

There are no instructions on how to do this.

When I had an EVGA GeForce GT 730 w/2GB in the NEW computer, the HP Pavilion 27xi & a AOC 2217V cabled via DVI-D (Dual Link), I had background color & pictures on both. I could take and open an Excel spreadsheet and it would be seen on both screens along with the mouse going between both. I could take a .txt file and put it on either monitor. I guess what I am saying is that I could use the two (2) monitors as one (1) big monitor.

Why can I not do this with the AMD Radeon RX580 8GB GDDR5 PCI-E 3.0???

How can I get the two (2) monitors to become one (1) big monitor using this card??

0 Likes
5 Replies
Hardwood
Paragon

What you want is extended screen(s).

Right click on desktop and choose display settings.

All connected monitors should  have a box, some large some small.

The large one is the current primary monitor where you're reading this and should be #1 or in your case maybe 1|2 which means it's cloned or duplicated and you're seeing the same thing on both 1 and 2.

Scroll down to Multiple displays and change it to Extend desktop on 1 and 2 and voila!

From here forward you can use the notifications/project  (win-p) to quickly change display settings.

just a side note you'll also see a checkbox to "make this my main display". You can only choose that for a display that's represented by a big box (active) and not selected.

If this doesn't get you going I'll need a screenshot of that settings page from monitor boxes  to bottom. Preferably with that dropdown of  Multiple displays open.

ASUS TUF X570 wifi, AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, ASRock 6700XT Challenger, Antec Truepower new 700w. 32GB
0 Likes

Are you telling me to do what you stated using the AMD Radeon RX580 8GB GDDR5 PCI-E 3.0??

I will have to put that card back in. When I do, I will post screen shots so the problem can be seen.

Right now I have the EVGA GeForce GT 730 w/2GB in the NEW computer, the HP Pavilion 27xi is cabled via DVI-D (Dual Link) & the AOC 27V2H is cabled via HDMI, at monitor, & HDMI to DVI-D (Dual Link) adaptor at GeForce GT 730.

Going to Settings>Display>Identify, the “1” is on the right monitor which is the AOC 27V2H.

The “2” is on the left monitor, the HP Pavilion 27xi.

Went to “Multiple displays and changed to “Extend” and switched the monitors. Which put the AOC 27V2H as “2”, which is the right monitor. The desktop icons still there on the left side of screen.

The HP Pavilion 27xi is the “1”, on the left.

But when I open something, the program defaults to the AOC 27V2H which is “2”.

Is this the dominate monitor because it is using HDMI??

ONE good thing, the mouse moves between the two monitors.

0 Likes

Yes I have the ASUS version of the 580 8GB and it goes the same for most Radeons, I know my 290x was identical.

Anyhow.. when you get the 580 back in let me know.

And, I would really avoid "adapters" they're nothing but another issue to consider. Native cables FTW!!!

ASUS TUF X570 wifi, AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, ASRock 6700XT Challenger, Antec Truepower new 700w. 32GB
0 Likes

Thank you for the help.

Have had to send the computer back to get new motherboard installed. Then put in new SSD. Then had Windows 10 Pro installed. Updated the  AMD Radeon RX580 8GB GDDR5 PCI-E 3.0 drivers.

The two monitors work the way I want them.

0 Likes
alpinekid69
Adept I

Right now I have the EVGA GeForce GT 730 w/2GB in the NEW computer. That was the one I 

I am going to order DisplayPort 1.2 to 4K HDMI Male to Male Cable which will take me a couple weeks. Then I will put the AMD Radeon RX580 8GB GDDR5 PCI-E 3.0 back in.