cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

juliannb
Adept II

Two HDMI to VGA adapters on Rx 580 not working?

Good day, everybody!

I'm having some issues with a Sapphire Rx 580 8GB and my two monitors. They are connected through an HDMI to VGA adapter each, since they don't have an HDMI port. At first, nothing's wrong, but after 30 seconds, the second monitor starts blinking like crazy, making it impossible to use it. Thanks to the help of TeamViewer, we managed to spot that the second monitor disconnects and reconnects infinitely, until we unplug either monitors.

We thought that one of the adapters were faulty, so we bought another one and... the issue is still there. Then we decided to connect a TV with an HDMI cable and one of the monitors with the adapter. Surprisingly, there is no blinking in neither of the devices, they were all perfectly functional. Then we connected the TV through the HDMI to VGA adapter and the problem happened again.

Now, with all these tests, I came to this conclusion, or rather, question: Can the Rx 580 (or any GPU at this point) handle two monitors connected through HDMI to VGA adapters at the same time? Because to me, it doesn't make sense, it should work, but I've never done this kind of connection in the past and I can't find any kind of information about it, that's why I open this topic.

That's all from me, if you need more information, let me know.

Thanks in advance!

0 Likes
9 Replies
fsadough

1. What resolution are you trying to run?
  2. Any specific reason you are using an HDMI-VGA adapter and not DP-VGA or DVI-VGA adapter?
  3. Which adapters are you using? Send the link.
0 Likes

1.- The resolution for each monitor would be 1440x900. It's not like we can change it manually, as when the blinking is triggered, the computer is unusable;

2.- Well, for starters, those are more expensive than the HDMI-VGA adapters. Would it make any difference either way?

3.- We tried these:

- https://www.bestbuy.com/site/startech-com-hdmi-to-vga-video-converter-black/8897459.p?skuId=8897459 (2 of these)

- https://www.bestbuy.com/site/startech-com-6-hdmi-to-dvi-d-video-cable-black/2780053.p?skuId=2780053

No matter which ones we use, having two monitors connected through adapters triggers this issue, as far as we can see. Individually they work fine, but together... no can do. I want to make sure that this is a rule I was not aware of or a problem with that GPU we bought.

0 Likes

2 passive connections should work. What are the monitors? Make and model?

I would try a DP-VGA adapter instead of HDMI-VGA adapter.

0 Likes

Right now, I cannot say the specific model, but these two are LG displays, 20" and 18", although I hardly think it makes the difference, as I said earlier, I connected one monitor and the TV through HDMI-VGA adapters and it would do the same exact thing. Now, the TV through HDMI and one monitor through the adapters wouldn't trigger the blinking at all, but both the TV and the monitor connected through adapters would trigger the blinking.

At this rhythm, with the money we've spent on adapters, we might as well buy a new monitor with an HDMI port.

0 Likes

Sorry for opening the topic again, but I have the same problem. In my problem both screens lose signal and the audio cuts. I tried with a third VGA screen and the problem happens again in any dual combination of the 3. I have not tried DP but I think it won't work. I have 2 LG displays too, but the third display was Dell

Anyway, did you solve it?

0 Likes

Dear All,

I think need to reopen this topic again, because I have same error. 

Any ideas?

0 Likes
MateKrisz
Journeyman III

Hi,

I know this topic old, but maybe helps for others.
I found the correct solution. I had same issue with RX580 + 2 pcs HDMI->VGA converter. Turned off the screens after 30 seconds..
My solution is, that I use one HDMI->VGA and one DP->VGA converter same time.

This is working well. I hope helps for others.

0 Likes

Tanks man i bye tomorow DP>VGA converter...You are save my money...

0 Likes
dela250991
Journeyman III

You just neded to set 59 fps.
advanced graphics settings/refresh rate/59 fps and work...

0 Likes