cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

tweaking underwolting overclocking is realy weird- with 7900xtx

Greatings. There is realy weird mechanic involved when owner of 7000 gpu wants to overclok his GPU. When  i am tweaking the gpu processor  i can set pretty much whatever value i want , like 3000+mhz, however looking for an actual stable,uplift is an absurd hell becouse of chip is literaly draining power from the clock of its own Vram and underclocking it during testing , impact is obviously very negative for results ? Why is this even the thing and will it be ever changed/fixed? Its not very userfriendly and i am sure its could be  unhealthy for gpu itself too.  Pretty much only underwoltig works just fine.

3 Replies
xela38
Adept I

Hi, the vram behavior happens when you set a minimum clock frequency above what the GPU can give it at the given power envelope. In that case the GPU wants to keep the minimum target in the same time it wont have enough power to do it so....it take from the vram. I see no reason to to set a minimum frequency on this cards, but if you want it you have to try a heavy game or benchmark and see how low the frequency will drop with the power target and voltage that you give it. If let say it drop to 2500 than you set the minimum target to 2400-2450. I don't expect to "fix" the power usage on this cards because is nothing to be fixed, is the way this cards works, unfortunately

Thanks i already found my sweet spot and its pretty lovely 2300-2585 mhz core, 1125 underwolt +15tdp , classic memory timings +160mhz its stable for 3 days now 30060 Time Spy Extreme score 365wat at avarage in most demanding titles. Its in the end pretty sweet uplift it was just horror to find it out. I also found memory overclock is very usefull for better RT performance  1% lows when its needed. Anyway thanks a lot for educative info :).

0 Likes
sergiocx
Adept I

Overclock is blocking 100%