cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

cwiggles
Elite

.TS file playback issues on RX-6700XT using VLC with hardware accelerated decode enabled

Hi all,

The short version: If you have issues playing .TS (and possibly other formats) files on a RX-6700XT using VLC, check to see if "hardware accelerated decode" is enabled, and if it is disable it, it *may* fix the issue. it did for me.

The longer version: I've had an issue with playing back some .TS files recorded on my PVR SINCE I replaced my old RX-590 with the RX-6700XT.  The issue was that the video would appear to stutter between 3 or 4 frames and just repeat those frames continuously. At first I thought the file was corrupted, but it played fine using Windows Media player and on the PVR itself. 

In trying to resolve this issue I tried installing various revisions of the Adrenalin drivers,  all the way back to 2022.3.1 and the issue was present in all of those versions. I used DDU to remove the drivers before each install. I have now settled back to using 22.7.1 (win10 64bit)

VLC would play other video formats fine, and the Windows Media Player would play the .TS files fine as well, VLC just wouldn't. 

After much mucking about I finally discovered that "hardware accelerated decode" was enabled in VLC. I then tried each of the decode options VLC offered, but the issue still remained, however,  as soon as I disabled "hardware accelerated decode" VLC would play the .TS files fine.

So I don't know if this is a VLC specific issue or an issue with RX-6700XT hardware. As I mentioned earlier, the RX-590  never encountered this issue, but I don't know if the RX-590 supports "hardware accelerated decode" or if it does whether VLC uses it. Unfortunately I gifted the RX-590 to a friend so i can't test with it. 

Anyway, Just thought I would mention this here in case someone else is having this issue with VLC and some newer AMD cards. 

Craig

5 Replies
cwiggles
Elite

Just an update. Issue occurs with MPC-HD as well when hardware accelerated decode is enabled, so it may be a AMD driver issue. 

Video: MPEG4 Video (H264) 1920x1080 25fps [V: h264 high L4.0, yuv420p, 1920x1080]
Audio: Dolby AC3 48000Hz 6ch 384kbps [A: English [eng] (ac3, 48000 Hz, 5.1(side), 384 kb/s)]

@Hi thanks for sharing . Not sure if i have that problem. But my whole pc almost crashes all the time@steam sstore with video playback .

0 Likes
cwiggles
Elite

Just an update on this. After more testing it actually seems to be an issue of one specific FTA broadcaster in my area. No matter which of their 4 TV channels they operate, any recording (1080p, 720p) done will not play back with hardware acceleration, whether that be with VLC or other players.

All other FTA channels I have recorded play back fine with hardware acceleration enabled. So I'm not sure why this one specific broadcasters transmissions are causing this issue.

Craig  

0 Likes

Hi,

Sorry for the long delay in this reply. The latest version of VLC seems to play the .TS files ok with h/w acceleration enabled, however I am also trialling the latest Adrenalin drivers (22.10.1) as well, so it could be either or a combination of both. 

I did also try Windows Media Player (prior to updating the Adrenalin drivers), and this worked but as far as I could see it does not use h/w acceleration, or at least I could not see an option to enable/disable it. 

On a side note, I also tried under POP-OS using AMD's Ubuntu drivers and the standard video player under Ubunto seemed to play the .TS files fine as well, and this was with h/w acceleration.  This leaves me to think it was most likely a Windows OS/OS-Driver related issue. 

Craig

0 Likes
kennyxy
Adept II

have you tried windows media player legacy ? that is the only video player that works with my RX 6700 XT .

pretty sick imo. tried everyting reinstalled windows 10-11 many ...

0 Likes