cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

fakkfakker
Journeyman III

Trouble booting into Windows after upgrading GPU

I upgraded my old AMD Radeon Fury to a AMD Radeon 6700 XT today. I have a dual boot system with Windows 10 64-bit on one partition and Fedora Linux on another. I booted the computer into Windows first.

Here it booted with something like 460p resolution, which I guess is due to drivers needing to be installed. So I google "AMD software download" and select the appropriate installer for my new graphics card. The installer gets stuck on the "configuring drivers" panel for over 30 mins before I rebooted.

When booting back into windows I get to the login screen, but for some reason my keyboard does not light up as if it's not connected to USB. It is connected, and even worked as I chose Windows as boot choice in GRUB. In linux both the keyboard and the graphics card works as intented. In Linux I already run both monitors through DisplayPort and both are having the correct refresh rates. Everything works like it should. But not in Windows.

I've tried disconnecting and reconnecting my usb devices. I've tried switching USB ports for my keyboard. Both when in windows login screen and when computer is powered down. As before, everything works fine in GRUB and in Linux, but after GRUB loads Windows, my keyboard simply powers down and can't interact with the computer. This makes it impossible to log in to windows and trouble shoot.

My computer is running a Ryzen 7 3700x on an ASUS x370 motherboard together with the new graphics card. What can I do to troubleshoot and/or make Windows interact with my keyboard again. I'm writing this on the keyboard Windows for some reason can't interact with. There's nothing wrong with the keyboard itself, but something got broken in Windows after trying to install AMD Software Adrenalin Edition for my new card.

0 Likes
0 Replies