cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

badexample1568
Journeyman III

To what card should I upgrade? (I'm hardware illiterate)

I currently have two AMD Radeon R9 200 / 7900 series cards running on crossfire. The cards are at least 8 years old. I thought the cards were keeping up with present day graphics just fine, until I started playing DCS World again after a break of a few years. Even with graphics settings turned all the way down my machine is struggling. I'm getting 8-22 FPS at best.

I'm looking to upgrade to a newer card, but I'm laughably hardware illiterate. I don't see myself getting into VR, but at some point in the not too distant future I'd like to upgrade my graphics to 1440 or MAYBE 4k, but mostly I just want graphics that will look presentable and still give me a good frame rate. (60 FPS is not a requirement for me.)

My concern is that I don't know how the crossfire cards compare together compare to more recent cards. If I'm going to spend money on an upgrade, I want to make sure I'm actually upgrading, not just getting a single card that isn't much better than the sum of the two that I'm currently running.

I'm willing to spend in the neighborhood of $400, possibly more.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.6GHz
Memory: 32768MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 32708MB RAM
Page File: 2670MB used, 34902MB available

ASUS Rampage IV Extreme Motherboard
Card name: AMD Radeon R9 200 / HD 7900 Series (x2 Crossfire)
Manufacturer: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
Chip type: AMD Radeon Graphics Processor (0x6798)
DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
Device Type: Full Device
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_6798&SUBSYS_27701462&REV_00
Display Memory: 9939 MB
Dedicated Memory: 6099 MB
Shared Memory: 3840 MB
Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)

0 Likes
5 Replies
naz1911
Adept I

Avoid the 5700 and 5600 series graphics cards. They have really bad driver support right now with plenty of system crashes and glitches. Just Youtube "5700XT issues".

Better red than (Fill in the blanks)
0 Likes
bobalazs
Elite

He said avoid i say go for it!

If you have an option to evaluate for 14 days like we have here, you can send it back within the two weeks if it doesn't pan out for you. I bought a 5600 xt and i can recommend it, it is flawless..

ryzen 5600 + 6700 XT
0 Likes
naz1911
Adept I

Trust me, its not worth the time and frustration. If after 7 months of a new hardware release the software isnt right, there must be a serious issue. 

I always only bought AMD GPU's until now.

Better red than (Fill in the blanks)
0 Likes

I would advise against a GPU upgrade at this time. AMD is going to refresh their products later this year to add ray tracing, among other things, and right now there are a number of people having issues with the drivers, especially on the RX 5000 series.

Also, currently the only 4K capable card in all circumstances is the RTX 2080 Ti, and that's well over $1000, and if the rumors of nVidia's next generation of cards are to be believed, mid range cards from them will be 4K capable.

0 Likes
bearcat22
Miniboss

I'd advise you to forget about crossfire. The days of SLI and Crossfire are done. Spend as much on a single GPU as you can afford. Or maybe more than you can afford. Lol. I'm of the opinion that if you want a new GPU buy it now. Why wait for something that may never come? Your not going to have a quality 4k experience for $400 now or in the near future.

The most important thing is when you get your new card and you have some problem with it return it right away. Whether its hardware or software doesn't matter. There's too many people in this forum waiting for a fix.

Because of the state of AMD software right now I'd be hard pressed to recommend them. I dunno. Look at the higher end RTX 2060. If your in the USA their under $400.

0 Likes