cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

grry
Adept I

Three monitors with Radeon 520??

I just bought a Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s-1 SFF with an AMD Radeon 520 graphics card. Lenovo assured me repeatedly the PC would be able to drive 3 independent monitors even if I used my existing monitors which I'd have to connect with DisplayPort to DVI Adapters. The card has 2 DisplayPort Ports so those monitors work OK.
Problem is, the VGA port (not on the AMD card) seems to have been disabled by the AMD Radeon 520 adapter. That port was supposed to drive the 3rd monitor, but even with the DP ports disconnected, Windows 10 doesn't see it.

So, can anyone tell me if it's possible to use the 520 to drive 3 independent monitors? Can I get some sort of splitter or hub? Can teh 520 even do that? Do I need to tweak the BIOS? Have I been ripped off?

Thanks in advance.

14 Replies

Is your Lenovo's PC Processor a Rzyen 3 Pro with Vega 8 graphics plus a AMD 520 GPU card?

grry
Adept I

1. Processor : AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 3600 (6C / 12T, 3.6 / 4.2GHz, 3MB L2 / 32MB L3)
  2. Operating System : Windows 10 Home 64
  3. Form Factor : 210W 85%
  4. Memory : 1x 16GB DDR4-2666
  5. Motherboard : AMD PRO 560 FCH
  6. Video Adapter : AMD Radeon 520 2GB GDDR5

Don't know about the Vega graphics, never heard of it.

Ryzen APU (Processor with Integrated Graphics) has Vega Integrated Graphics but your Ryzen is a regular Processor without Integrated Graphics.

So your computer only has the Radeon 520 as it Main Graphics Adapter.

Since your computer doesn't have a Rzyen APU installed your computer doesn't support VGA Output from the motherboard. Here are your specs on your Lenovo PC: ThinkCentre M75s | Compact, High-Performance PC with AMD Ryzen™ PRO Processing | Lenovo Australia 

You need to have a Ryzen APU with Vega graphics installed to get VGA output from your motherboard.

I might be wrong but you can verify it by opening a Lenovo Support ticket and see if your Radeon 520 outputs VGA from the motherboard but since you mentioned you get DisplayPort without any issues then the above must be correct.

Thank you so much elstaci.

I asked 3 different representatives of Lenovo if my proposed setup would support 3 monitors and each one of them said yes, so I guess they don't know their product.

I think when I ordered mine, there was an option to have the 520 adapter or not, but that is no longer an option. So I guess I paid for something I was promised and didn't get. (Still waiting to hear back from Lenovo - they also bundled them with MS Office 365 rather than the desktop version I ordered. I'll let you know what they say.)

Any ideas on a graphics adapter I could slot in there instead that has 3-monitor functionality?

Failing that I'll have to get a couple of DP in-out monitors and daisy chain them off one of the ports.

Wow, why does this have to be so hard??

Lenovo probably believes you have a Ryzen APU with Vega graphics installed instead of a regular Ryzen processor. That is why they keep saying you can support 3 monitors. Unless they are talking about using a MST Hub or Daisy-Chaining your monitors together with DP 1.2.

From the specs, The Motherboard's VGA Port will be active ONLY WITH A APU installed.

As to upgrading your GPU card. I wouldn't do it with such a weak PSU.

From the Specs from your Lenovo Computer:

Power supply
  • 180W 85% PSU
  • 210W 85% PSU

The latest AMD GPU cards requires a minimum of 500 - 600 PSU wattage.

This website will give the Minimum PSU Wattage needed to run your computer with various GPU cards installed: PSU REQUIREMENTS - RealHardTechX 

They are a little bit higher than AMD requirement but not by much. Maybe by 50 watts.

pastedImage_1.pngI do not think people working at technical support have the time and motivation to go ahead and read all those documentation and everything is much more complicated when I compare it to 20 years ago.

I was really happy when I got my Pentium 100 year 1996, chilling with my CRT monitor. Now I need personally at least 2 4K monitor with 60Hz to work on 5000+ lines spreadsheets without losing my mind. One needs an extra consultant for the proper multi-display workstation setup without flickers and minimum hiccups. Is it DP 1.2, is it DP 1.4, is it HDMI 2.0, why it is giving me 4K30Hz and not 4K60Hz, why is the CPU maxxing %100 when I open any 4K video at youtube, how do I daisy chain etc. etc.  and on the top of all that, whatever consumer hardware you buy from the high street is crap, try to connect a 12'' Macbook 2017 (not Pro) to LG Ultra fine 27 Inch 4K display, it gets very hot. 

I was stupid to believe my lenovo x270 with its i5-7200U/HD Graphics 620 can handle teams video calls with 4+ people, it does not simply work that way, CPU hits %100 because of video decodes, integrated HD 620 does not help as well. It is very painful and difficult.

you can try using a MST Hub to connect three monitors but with your very weak PSU of 250 watts not sure if it will be able to supply enough power for three monitors.

Plus not sure if your Radeon 520 supports DP version 1.2 concerning MSTs: DisplayPort MST hub [finally explained!] (BEWARE of these MISTAKES before you buy) 

If your Radeon 520 supports DisplayPort version 1.2 with MST you can try connecting a MST Hub and see if it will run 3 monitors: How can I tell if my video card will work with this MST hub? | FAQ | StarTech.com 

Note: The DP>DVI or DP>VGA must be 'Active" adapters to work correctly.

Thank you again, estaci.

I am currently running 2 monitors through DP->DVI dongles supplied by Lenovo and they work fine. The DisplayPorts are listed as 1.2 but I am unsure whether it supports MST.

I could try emailing tech support at AMD but the reply they gave to my last question about the graphics card was so dismissive and unhelpful I would not be optimistic about getting a straight answer. I will try.

Thanks again.

OK, I tried asking Lenovo and AMD and got blanked.

paulw75
Adept I

Hello Grry,

I order the same workstation and it is waiting at the DHL Warehouse at the moment.

I read your comments and did some reading to find a solution to your problem, I understand paying £120 might not be ideal however there is a solution.

pastedImage_1.png

The card above is solving your problem I think, sure it is extra money but taking the size of the M75s-1 into consideration (I hate huge towers personally and I did not want to pay £2000 to a laptop to get some decent performance) this card might solve your problem. It would be great if you let me know about your opinion.

0 Likes

pastedImage_1.png

The comparison of 2 cards

https://www.amazon.co.uk/PNY-NVIDIA-Express-Professional-Graphic/dp/B06X9YKPNN?th=1 

Does anyone know why the connectors (marked red) so different with 2 cards?

Is it because first one is PCIe 3.0 x8

and second one PCIe Express 3.0 x16?

Many thanks.

0 Likes

pastedImage_1.png

And far as I understand this is where the card should be replaced?

0 Likes
larsbars
Adept II

I also have a Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s-1, mine with a Ryzen 7 PRO 3700 as well as the aforementioned Radeon 520 GPU.

I am trying to connect three monitors using a DisplayPort multi-stream transport (MST) hub, and it is not working. No combination of plugging in to the card itself, or the MST hub, allows three screens. When you plug in the third screen, one of the other screens turns off. When you unplug a screen, the other screen turns back on. The Radeon 520 GPU must have only two internal display controllers on the chip itself?

I also tried to install a Radeon PRO WX3100 GPU in to the ThinkCentre chassis, but the swinging bracket with the optical drive is too large, and can not be closed when the WX3100 is installed. The WX3100 is slightly longer than the 520 so I can not use it.

I also tried to install a Radeon R7 430 OEM GPU (which is very similar to the Radeon 520) in another PCIe slot. The problem is that instead of having two PCI express slots, there is only one PCI express slot, then there is a PCI BUS slot. I couldn't believe my eyes, I haven't seen a PCI BUS slot in years.

So I guess it's just two monitors for this computer then. Unless you go the USB adapter route.

0 Likes

Unable to find if Lenovo's AMD Radeon 520 supports more than 2 monitors or not.

But did find out that ThinkCentre has a OEM Lenovo GPU card officially called GRAPHIC_BO RADEON 520 GRAPHICS CARD LP.

So only Lenovo Support will be able to advise whether their O.E.M. AMD 520 DP port supports MST or not.

0 Likes