cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

frozen_sun
Journeyman III

The Witcher 3 & Arkham Knight locked at 30 fps on R9 390,what's an issue?

Well I own Asus Strix R9 390 graphics card and have this weird issue with locked fps in these 2 games at 30.I turned v-sync OFF.

I play on 2560x1080 (ultrawide LG monitor), and even if I switch to 1920x1080 I get only few fps more, 4-5 (Witcher 3)

In all settings at HIGH I get only 30 fps,if I switch to ULTRA I get around 25 fps only.

Now I searched on youtube the results other guys got with R9 390, and you can see I should get around 50 fps and even more in ultra settings.

The card doesn't overheat at all.My cpu is I7-6700k.

I had same problem with Far Cry 5 until I didn't install newest AMD drivers and problem was solved.But not in these 2 games which I really do wanna play.

So anyone knows what could be an issue?

I know I had more fps on my previous monitor which was full HD and was connected via DVI cable,and now is HDMI and I don't know if that is the problem for limited fps,but then again I would have same 30 fps in all other games I play,which is not the case and on like all other games (newer ones) I get above 50 fps in high/ultra settings.

I did manage to solve the problem in Witcher 3 by turning off nvidia hairworks off by help of some dude on one forum which was awkward,and in Far Cry 5 updating to latest drivers,which you can see on pics below that I installed latest drivers for this card from your website.

How the hell can nvidia hairworks lower fps if it's not supported by AMD?

I haven't touch any of the crimson driver settings as you can see on pics everythins is default.

Even changing the resolution in Arkham Knight to 1920x1080 doesn't do nothing,Screen Shot 01-05-19 at 04.12 PM.JPG fps is simply locked at 30.

I did performance test in Arkham Knight as you can see on picture and FPS is as expected and way above 30.

I youtubed about r9 390 and arkham knight and on this card i should have 80-90 fps even in ultra settings,and I'm on normal settings.

Turning v-sync OFF or ON doesn' make any difference.There is no nvidia hairworks option in game.

Monitor is 60 Hz.

So any of your help is appreciated what to do to get normal FPS is this game like all other guys?

Please don't tell me uninstall drivers because in previous drivers I installed last year don't know which exact version I think it was 18.12. I had same problem,even Far Cry 5 didn't work above 30 fps.

And I don't want to reinstall OS since that is not an issue probably.

I even didn't ran MSI Afterburner reading on your forum that it can make issue with crimson drivers but still no help.

Here are the pics so you can look at settings:

Screen Shot 01-06-19 at 10.38 AM 001.JPGScreen Shot 01-06-19 at 10.38 AM.JPGScreen Shot 01-06-19 at 10.36 AM.JPGScreen Shot 01-06-19 at 10.35 AM 002.JPGScreen Shot 01-06-19 at 10.35 AM.JPGScreen Shot 01-05-19 at 11.00 PM.JPGScreen Shot 12-11-18 at 11.01 AM.JPG

0 Likes
2 Replies
Thanny
Miniboss

Hairworks is a proprietary nVidia algorithm, tuned to work well on nVidia hardware and poorly on AMD hardware.  It doesn't fail to work at all - it just takes a big bite out of performance.

What are your PhysX settings in Batman: AC?  nVidia has changed things in the past couple years, so what used to be GPU-only PhysX can now run on the CPU, but it could easily bog down a 4-core CPU.

I don't know of any obvious reasons why Far Cry 5 might run slower, as I haven't played it.

I think the first thing you should do is get some performance metrics for your CPU and GPU.  Measuring GPU usage can be done in a number of ways.  I'd recommend MSI Afterburner or GPU-Z, both of which create a graph over time which you can hover over to see what the values were when the game was running.

At first, run the games as you normally would, then exit and check the GPU usage on the graphs from Afterburner or GPU-Z.  If your GPU is the limiting factor, you should see usage of 95%+ during load.  Anything less is at least suggestive of a CPU bottleneck.

Getting accurate CPU usage is a little more difficult.  You can certainly start by just opening Task Manager, selecting the Performance tab, then checking the graph(s) to see if the CPU usage was maxed out while playing the game.  If it was, then you know you have a CPU bottleneck.  If not, you need to dig deeper and look at per-thread CPU usage, because it could just be that the game in question only uses one or two threads for most of the work, and one of them is running as fast as it can without showing your overall usage going near 100%.

The tool I'd recommend for that is Process Explorer, which you can find by searching "sysinternals process explorer".  You need to run the game either in borderless window mode or just a window, so you can see a window while running the game.  After launching the game, find the game's process in Process Explorer, right click and select Properties, then click on the Threads tab and click on the CPU column header to make sure it's sorted in descending order.  If you're running the game in a full-size borderless window, you can make Process Explorer stay always on top via the Options menu.  Then you can move around in the game while leaving the process Properties window visible, so you can check the top thread's CPU usage.  For a 4-core/8-thread CPU, a value from about 11.5 to 12.5 indicates that the thread in question is running as fast as it can, and that you may have a CPU bottleneck.

I'm not convinced you have such a bottleneck, but collecting this information may lead you in the right direction to figure out what's going on.

0 Likes

No way CPU is bottleneck.

This is powerful CPU enough to ran both games even in ultra settings,it's i7-6700k not i3.

You can check sysytem requirements for both games.

Btw I solved the issue by modifing INI file in arkham knight.Now I have fixed 60 fps and not more.

There is screenshot I posted here where you can see on the top left side,green letters CPU & GPU usage with MSI Afterburner.

I don't know how you didn't notice it.

0 Likes