cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

cryptearth
Adept II

tech spec of RX550

I need the official tech spec of the RX550 design.

Reason: I'm currently using a low-profile case with an ASUS A68HM-PLUS with an elgato hd60pro in pci-e 1x slot (2nd slot from top) and a AMD a10-7800 as streaming system. Currently, I'm able to get a good quality stead 1920x1080 with 60fps when limited to twitch recommended bitrate of 6.000kBit/s. But my APU is working really hard (over 90%). So I looked for a gpu I could fit into my system. I just found a video yesterday about this card: Yeston RX550 low-profile single-slot. Perfect. But: It's somewhat strange advertised. The site http://www.yeston.net/product/details/234/272 claims it to be a Polaris 11 chip. When looking at wikipedia, a RX550 is a chip codename Lexa - wich is a Polaris 12 chip. So, before I by a pig in the poke, I'd like to check with official tech doc if this could be false advertisement.

I will also contact Yeston about its advertisement not match up with informations found on wikipedia. Maybe someone could tell me a bit more.

If someone wants to know: It's 100,00 quit on ali express with free world wide shipping for a mid-tier gpu - so something has to be fishy about it.

Does anyone has any additional info on this card?

Matt

//edit - well - seems like yeston doesn't like direct mail contact - there's no e-mail-address i could find to ask them directly ...

also - when you look up product info on RX 550 for known brands like XFX (just as an example - first on google) they state correct type of Polaris 12 Lexa chip - so it seems either someone at yeston just made a big mistake - or it's false advertisement - I knew it's to good to be true

0 Likes
15 Replies

https://www.amd.com/en/products/graphics/radeon-rx-550

0 Likes

well, as you might can tell - this doesn't help with my question as it doesn't list any information about the specific chip

as I read through the comments on this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynxYGZgcXp8 it seems it does depend on the fact of the compute units

a "normal" Lexa chip only has 512 compute units - that's polaris 12

the yeston card has 640 compute units - wich is a locked down version of a Baffin Polaris 11 based chip with up to 786 - maybe some OEM chip not meant for direct selling (this seems to be "normal" on chinese market like famous Shenzhen) - so someone makes a coin of selling defective polaris 11 chips not meeting the required QA to be "official" rx 560 baffin chips - but still meet requirements for this special 640cu "oem" version

hence why I asked for in-depth more specific info about the chip variants polaris 11 vs 12 - but it seems this isn't free available info - wonder how those wikipedia dudes get such specific information

0 Likes

Never heard of Yeston before until I read your Post. But TechPowerUP has some good specs on another RX550 card in which you can compare to what they are selling from here: Yeston RX 550 GAEA Specs | TechPowerUp GPU Database 

Here is another RX550 Low profile from MSI with 4 gbytes of vRAM: Specification for Radeon RX 550 4GT LP OC | Graphics card - The world leader in display performance ... 

According to Tom's Hardware, RX4xx GPU cards are the ones that use the Polaris 11 GPU Chip and the RX5xx uses the Polaris 12 GPU Chip: AMD Radeon RX 550 2GB Review - Tom's Hardware 

So it seems like Yeston either made a mistake or is using a Polaris 11 RX 4xx GPU Chip instead of a Polaris 12 GPU Chip.

Anyway, you can decide. Personally I wouldn't purchase that GPU card and go for another better known GPU manufacturer.

0 Likes

Well, I contacted the author of the YT-video I found this card on to show a GPU-Z shot (wich is the one interresting thing he didn't in his video).

Yeston seems one of thos "asia market" oem (when you dig into this there're a lot of asia only special oem versions official from nvid/amd to sell of defective high-end chips to not waste thier value/yield - as they don't pass QA for "western"/"international" versions) - aside from those asian oem there're some versions specific for those "cafes" wich buy them in bulk of 50+ (LTT made a video of it on a nVid card with 5GB vRAM wich is only available to those special oems according to official statement of nVid).

Yes, I also would rather stay away from such "fishy" stuff - but Yeston seems to be a more serious asian seller - as the YT-video author has quite a collection of different components. Just watch the video I linked if you haven't already. What's kind of forcing me to do consider buy from AliExpress is that there is just no official western known brand have a low profile single slot card in its line. All either full size - or have a two-slot cooler. The only cards matching both are low-end like nVid 1030 - wich don't have hardware accelerated video ENCODING (de-coding doesn't matter to me - I need the ENCODING stuff). There seems to be a nVid 1050TI with also single slot low profile - but it's also only available from one of those chinese not known no name brands on ali express.

Sadly, it seems that both nVid and AMD no longer support small form factor high power systems - neither does one of the known western brands. I just can't use a card with a larger form factor - there is just no space in my system - neither on the 2nd slot nor on height - THAT'S my problem (otherwise I would need at least a new case - or a new uATX board wich has space in 2nd slot and a pci-e 1x in 3rd slot (wich - very surprise - most have a PCI-slot in this position !)). And sadly I neither have the stuff nor know someone who has to tinker around myself - although I'm a learned experienced metal worker.

There seems to be quite a few Low Profile single slot GPU Cards. Found this website that explains and list the best Low Profile GPU cards for 2019: Best Low Profile Graphics Card in 2019 [Half-Height Graphics Cards] 

It list both Nvidia and AMD. A few are the latest models of GPUs.

I am sure you can find one that will fit your needs. XFX seems to a popular well known manufacturer of those types of cards.

This is a YouTube of the MSI RX550 Low Profile 4GT LP OC GPU Card: AMD MSI RX 550 4GT Low Profile Gameplay Review 2018 Budget GPU - YouTube 

The GPU Card dimensions is from the image in previous reply: 170 x 68 x 38 mm  (6.69" x 2.67" x 1.49") This is the dimension of a 2 slot Asus RX550 4 gbyte GPU card (7.2 x 1.7 x 4.4 in) According to Amazon it is 2 slots wide due to the Fan base.

EDIT: There is one way that comes to my mind to bypass your small computer case. You can alway purchase, if you can afford it, an external GPU Enclosure where you can install and run a full size and more powerful GPU Card. Here is one website with the best eGPU enclosure for 2019: https://egpu.io/best-egpu-buyers-guide/ 

This website explains everything concerning eGPU Docks or enclosure: 7 Things You Need to Know About External GPUs 

If your Motherboard has a Thunderbolt 3 or USB-C port than you probably can connect a eGPU to it. But if you have a weak CPU processor than it is not a good idea to get a powerful GPU card since it will bottleneck the GPU.

0 Likes

I'm sorry, but the link you provide doesn't help. The cards listed as low-profile / single slot are only low-end cards - wich don't have the required hardware accelerated video encoding tech.

- nVid 700 series: they're just rebranded 600 series cards and don't have nvenc at all

- nVid 1030: also don't have nvenc

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1050 OC Low Profile 2G: two slot design

- MSI GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GT LP: two slot design

- zotac gtx 1060: two slot design

MSI Radeon R7 240: no VCE

- XFX Radeon RX 550: two slot design

- MSI Radeon RX 460 2GT LP: two slot design

- MSI Radeon RX 560 4GT LP OC: two slot design

So, any card fitting single slot low profile doesn't have hardware video acceleration (or is too old like nVid 700 series) - and those cards have harwdare accelerated encoding (nVid nvenc / amd vce) are two slot designs - so doesn't fit physical.

It also get's even worse on ali express as I dig down the rx550s - some are advertised as polaris 11, some are as polaris 12, some even as polaris 21 - and the really crazy one is a "normal" size one wich on one line it says polaris 12 - but a gpu-z shot on the same page shows polaris 21. So, there are just no relaible consistent information. Unless I buy the all in addition with hiring someone with so deep knowledge able to determine what chips really used and maybe correct a modified bios to match the physical chip - it's a gamle - or I'm able to buy of someone already own a working card reporting itself at least something usefull to the driver.

That's the reason why I even registered here - to at least hope to get an official reply from the original desginer of this platform if such chips even exists (I think as a "normal" user I wouldn't get such informations - you have to be an influencer like Linus to at least get some deeper info) and in wich config they sold. But as the url says "community.amd.com" unless some amd employee watch this I guess there's no way to get sure - unless buy the pig in the poke.

Thx anyways - guess I won't get info I wanted unless someone knows an e-mail address to contact yeston directly - wich also neither google nor that chinese clone can find - so I guess they don't have a public relations ...

Matt

0 Likes

about your edit: I noted in the op I use a A68HM-PLUS - so, no, there's no thunderbolt 3 - there isn't even usb type c ...

and compared the cost a thunderbold card, wich may or may not in the pci-e x16, an external gpu enclosure and a full size gpu - it would be WAY cheaper to just buy a regular midi size case ... MATHs dude ... MATHs

0 Likes

Oops, my bad, I didn't notice that you posted your Motherboard model.

Yeah, I was seeing the same thing after you posted your last reply. Sorry.

Well, I guess you have no choice but to purchase that iffy Yeston and hope they will give you a refund if it doesn't work or fit.

Ali Baba Express like Ebay are full of fake hardware, especially GPU cards and similar hardware.

Anyway, I have nothing more to go on. You seemed to have all the information you need to decide what your next step is.

Good luck!

Sorry I couldn't be more of a help.

EDIT: Just reread you last reply again. IF you want an Official reply from AMD you need to open a AMD Service Request from here: Online Service Request | AMD 

This is a Forum for Users to Users to help each other out. It is not an official place to find information from. The Moderators are AMD Employees but will reply if they feel it is applicable. Otherwise it is best to open a AMD Support ticket and see what they say. IF anything useful or maybe direct you in another way.

0 Likes

To me it is a big red flag in which a manufacturer has no international contact like an email to reach them. I went to Yeston.net and under contact it has their Chinese address and Telephone number and nothing else.

So if you purchase their product, unless Ali Baba Express warranties your GPU Card, you would need to either send them a letter or call them directly in China to get warranty service. Plus you need to pay to ship it to China for Warranty repairs which will probably be more than the GPU card is worth.

0 Likes
cryptearth
Adept II

As far as I could tell AliExpress itself doesn't offer any warrenty or money-back option - the leave that to the actual seller (wich, for all cards I could find, are some no-name resellers each with only a few in stock). Yeston itself only offers a 6 month warrenty. In addition, as I'm german, if I import something that's worth more than a few bucks I have to pay customs fee for import, wich one doesn't get back even if the item is returned for warrenty. In fact, I had to pay export fees and on return I again had to pay additional re-import fees. Each is 19%. And in addition to that, thanks to this usa-eu-asia world wide trade nonesense where everyone raises additional punitive customs (currently additional 25% on top here in germany for import) would raise total cost for one of the cheaper ones (around 90€) to just shy 140€. So even selecting a cheap one doesn't mean I really save some in the end.

Thanks for pointing me out to the official contact form - maybe I can get some deeper information from AMD itself. Maybe they can somewhat establish communication to yeston - as they, at least somehow, have to get thier chips and some rights to sell them (although, from videos can be found on youtube, most in shenzhen is sold without permission of orignal rights holders - see those videos where someone build his own iphone and samsung galaxy just from "spare" parts wich the even sellers admit most of them are counterfeit or b-stock smuggled out of the legit factories).

It's just so annoying - you want to build a nice clean small form factor system as only an addition to your main rig - and end up build some additional full blown pc.

Worst on this story: my main rig is as old as when even my first gpu, a hd7870 wasn't that new, and the whole platform (fx-8350, crosshair v formular-z) and my current gpu (r9 290x) is so out-dated, that I should consider scrap my additional stream system all together (maybe can get 200 - 300 when sold as complete system) - use my current main rig as new stream system and build a new system from scratch - only issue: I don't have the 1.000 to spare - but just around 100-150 for a gpu as an additional accelerator for my current setup. There is just no market for my needs here in europe.

I don't think I can find something on ebay either - as even if I serach whole europe I will only find the same parts I could get off of amazon or other europe wide well known hardware sellers.

I guess it's time to close this topic of here - IF I get some update in the future I might add.

At least staff gave me an option to start this thread by granting moderation as I'm a new user.

Matt

0 Likes
cryptearth
Adept II

Well, sometimes one just need a little luck.

As I just did a quick search on ebay, the first showed up pretty early was reado pro w2100 cards. And yes, maybe that's a lead I can follow. Until now I just looked for normal consumer cards like AMD Radeon or nVid GeForce - but my usecase isn't really a "I want to game on it" but more of a professional use case: I want to use it as hardware encoder. So, maybe I just have to switch from normal consumer cards over to the professional lines like AMD Radeon Pro or nVid Quadro - as those are powerful enough, according to wiki use at least mid-tier chips, include the hardware encoders (nvenc/vec) and are available by known retailers and brands in single slot low profile desgins - with very good datasheets. The downside: they are very high priced when comparing raw numbers (compute power per buck). Maybe I can get lucky to get a kown good used one for a bit less than what a new one would cost. Guess that could be a possible way - even if had to use a nVid one (yea, I'm a AMD fanboy - last few systems where amd(/ati) only - just build an intel/nVid once by request).

Sounds like you have a plan that might work better in the long run. Yeah, Professional GPU cards are much more expensive than consumers but they were engineered to work in a Server environment or Work Station. 

I really sympathize with you when it comes to purchasing hardware. I have a 6 year PC that I built myself with a FX8350. It will be very expensive for me to upgrade my computer if my motherboard goes bad. Something that I am not looking forward to.

Anyway, nice chatting with you. I know that Europe is not a cheap place due to VAT and other taxes. Hope you find what you need without needing to rob a bank (-:

Take care.

0 Likes

Well, as far as I looked through possible options provided by known and local brands and retailers - it pretty much comes down to AMD Radeon Pro WX4100 vs nVidia Quadro P1000. Looking at the price tag, and my "fanboy"-ness, makes it easy: on amazon germany the cheapest amd pro is a hp branded one for 244,20 € delivered to my door - the cheapest p1000 is dell branded for 347,- € delievered. I'll have a look at ebay - maybe I can find some used cards for a bit less (a quick look later: well, doesn't looks like it - are they any other sites like ebay?).

0 Likes

well - seems like the 244,20 deal is the best I can get - there's only one seller on ebay where I might could save a few - but there's no info if it ships with the low-profile bracket

but as ebay somehow for what ever reason wants my personal data before I'm allowed to contact the seller (they even want this data to close your account - well, that's the very reason I wanted to close it in the first place - DUH) I guess I'll never know - also it's only marked as "refurbished" and "will ship in plain white box"

what I've seen on YT this card comes with this:

- full-size bracket

- low-profile bracket

- 4x mini-DP > DP adapter

well - I guess the latter ones may also not included

I also searched craigslist worldwide - but sadly noone currently sells a used wx4100 - may I have to rob a bank or turn a store to get that card ...

0 Likes

If you decide and are able to purchase that AMD professional WX4100, at least it is supported with up to date graphic drivers: Radeon™ Pro WX 4100 Drivers & Support | AMD 

If Europe has the lottery, buy one ticket. Maybe you win enough to update your entire computer (-:  (Hey, what could be the odds 1:100,000,000).

0 Likes