Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics

colesdav
Esteemed Contributor III

Re: Tearing with Freesync

Jump to solution

Chill behaviour was the same in Adrenalin 2019.12.1 and earlier, if you only used the Game Profile menu to use Chill.
Same thing, Chill_Max has never been an FPS number, it is a performance slider versus Chill_Min.
If you Turn Chill on in the Game Profile, Local FRTC slider turns on and matches Chill_Max. 

However you could turn Local FRTC off, and set Chill_Max to 300 for max Chill performance.
You could then go to Global Settings menus and set Global FRTC on to 1 FPS below top end of the FreeSync Range.

The above assumes you want to game with VSync off to get least laggy experience with Chill.

Setting 45-75 will also limit Keyboard Only Inpute FPS FYI.

Radeon Chill Implementation at present is total claptrap.
AMD could literally change Chill variables and also implement change to the mouse behaviour and remove this ridiculous performance hit in the first case and also save even more power for the second case. 

They simply do not listen to their users.

I have been posting about this for years, along with plenty of evidence to this forum.

Use of a FreeSync 2 monitor with chill could give even more benefit.

0 Kudos
pokester
Esteemed Contributor III

Jump to solution

I have not used chill in 2020 drivers. On polaris the 2020 drivers won't even load right for my. I still use the last 2019 driver from last December. 

0 Kudos
colesdav
Esteemed Contributor III

Jump to solution

Sorry to hear that.

Adrenalin 2020 Drivers install and work o.k. on RX590 which is Polaris 30. 
Bought mine for compute and blender. 

None of those Polaris 30 GPUs are worth purchasing though due to lack of support. 
Not sure about  Polaris 20 (RX580) or Polaris 10 (RX480).

0 Kudos
colesdav
Esteemed Contributor III

Jump to solution

Setting Chill Min = 45, Chill Max = 75 in Fortnite at 2K Ultra graphics settings gives the following results. 

No keyboard or mouse input = 45 FPS. 
Keyboard only input = 52 FPS. 
Rapid mouse movement. = 75 FPS. 

Chill performance hit in this case:  

52 - 75 / 75 * 100 =  -30.66%

Again that is pretty bad performance hit just to stay in 45-75 freeSync range,

0 Kudos
shinkairi
Adept I
Adept I

Jump to solution

Oh ok I get it. Thanks.

So 99min and 99max on radeon chill?

0 Kudos
colesdav
Esteemed Contributor III

Jump to solution

Yes, 

That is all you can do now with the default Adrenalin 2020 driver and Chill, unless you start editing the Windows registry to modify Chill and re-enable FRTC.

Use Chill as a Frame Rate Limiter by setting Chill Min = Chill Max to keep Frame Rate Limited below the FreeSync Range  if you want to run with in game VSync off. That should stop tearing and give best low input lag experience.

Otherwise forget Chill completely. just turn it off. 
Turn in game VSync on + FreeSync on.
That should stop tearing at the top end of the refresh rate.
In that case hope the GPU does not drop below low end of the FreeSync range too often, because VSync turns on and it gets very laggy.

View solution in original post