Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

shinkairi
Adept I

Tearing with Freesync

Hey guys,

I bought a Freesync display, and I enabled Freesync in my card. Why am I still experiencing tearing?

Thanks

0 Likes
1 Solution

Yes, 

That is all you can do now with the default Adrenalin 2020 driver and Chill, unless you start editing the Windows registry to modify Chill and re-enable FRTC.

Use Chill as a Frame Rate Limiter by setting Chill Min = Chill Max to keep Frame Rate Limited below the FreeSync Range  if you want to run with in game VSync off. That should stop tearing and give best low input lag experience.

Otherwise forget Chill completely. just turn it off. 
Turn in game VSync on + FreeSync on.
That should stop tearing at the top end of the refresh rate.
In that case hope the GPU does not drop below low end of the FreeSync range too often, because VSync turns on and it gets very laggy.

View solution in original post

15 Replies

A FreeSync monitor has a certain "FreeSync Range" for a particular monitor resolution and frequency.

If your GPU operates outside the FreeSync Range you will get screen tear.

Some AMD GPUs only support FreeSync over DisplayPort connection.

I am unable to post a picture for you because of this new forum will not let me post any more images.

In Adrenalin 2020 20.11.2:

Go to Settings -> Display -> and expand the Display Specs Tab.

You will see something like this

"AMD FreeSync Refresh Rate - 40 to 60 Hz reported by display"

If you are using the old Adrenalin 2019 19.12.1 style GUI/UI you can see the FreeSync Range by hovering over the FreeSync on/off button in the GUI

Bye.

0 Likes

Hi,

Thanks for answer.

Yes I see: AMD FreeSync Refresh Rate - 48 to 100 Hz reported by display. Because my display can go up to 100Hz. So what about it? How does knowing this sentence solve my problem? How do I not get screen tear? I am using Display Port.

Thanks.

0 Likes

You need to make syre the GPU frame rate stay within the 48 to 100 Hz range.

In other words GPU output FPS = within 48 to 100  FPS.

0 Likes

Oh ok I get it. Thanks.

So 99min and 99max on radeon chill?

0 Likes

Yes, 

That is all you can do now with the default Adrenalin 2020 driver and Chill, unless you start editing the Windows registry to modify Chill and re-enable FRTC.

Use Chill as a Frame Rate Limiter by setting Chill Min = Chill Max to keep Frame Rate Limited below the FreeSync Range  if you want to run with in game VSync off. That should stop tearing and give best low input lag experience.

Otherwise forget Chill completely. just turn it off. 
Turn in game VSync on + FreeSync on.
That should stop tearing at the top end of the refresh rate.
In that case hope the GPU does not drop below low end of the FreeSync range too often, because VSync turns on and it gets very laggy.

Low end of FPS range is controlled by game resolution and settings for a given GPU.

You can also turn on Radeon Chill ti set Min SPS for Chill Algorithm.

0 Likes

Top end of FPS range can be controlled by the following:

(1). In game Frame Rate Limiter if it exists, In your case set it to 99 FPS.
(2). You can use Radeon Chill as a Frame Rate Limiter. Turn it on and set Chill Min FPS = Chill Max FPS = 99 in your case.
(3). You can download RivaTuiner stand alone version and use it as a Frame Rate Limiter. Link to follow.

0 Likes

You can turn on In Game VSync.
That should prevent Screen Tear with FreeSync on.

0 Likes

What you want to do to control your freesync range if use chill. You set your minimum to one number inside your range and maximum to one inside. So for instance if your range is 45-144. Your chill min and max are 46-143. 

0 Likes

@pokester

Whist it is true those chill settings, 45-144 will keep his GPU output within the FreeSync range, it will come with an awful reduction in GPU FPS Performance.

You just fell into a trap regarding Radeon Chill.
Chill Max PFS setting is not what it says on the tin.

It is a performance slider relative to Chill Min tied to Global FRTC slider and a ridiculous implementation of Radeon Chill in Adrenalin 2020.

If you set those values for Chill you will drop from ~ 144 FPS most of the time (assuming game settings and GPU powerful enough)

to:

~ 45 FPS with no keybard and mouse input.
~70  FPS  with keyboard only input (Hold or use WASD keys to move for example).
~ The only way you will get 144 FPS will be if you waggle the mouse ridiculously fast  like a crazed angry baboon that has just seen Damian Thorn in the zoo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hABfS-H1xmE

Chill max is also the FPS limit for rapid mouse movement.

So if the OP sets those Chill values he will see a whopping
70 - 144 / 144 * 100 = 51.4% drop in FPS performance, just to prevent screen tear.

Although Radeon Chill is great technology, the implementation in Adrenalin 2020 is totally broken.
This is why no one in their right mind would put up with it,
This is why they need to remove the tie in of Chill Max to the FRTC Slider.

FYI I jsut confirmed the above FPS numbers on Fortnite.
They will be very similar on any other game or AMD GPU  I test with Chill on.

Thanks.

0 Likes

Thanks for the share. It is the advice given to me from @Matt_AMD a long time ago. It worked well for me but I don't have a high refresh monitor. Mine runs 45-75 and doing that worked and still works great. I have had no frame drop at all. I know back then your experience would vary if you were on the higher refresh rate monitors. 

All I cans say is it is easy to try any solution and change it, if it doesn't work for you. 

You would think by now that if setting a range is important that AMD would actually have a way to do that in their software that only affects the range without adversely affecting other setting. 

I know on my green team cards you don't have to set anything special. Just turn on gsync compatible and my FreeSync monitors just plain work as they should. 

Also some games would work better with alternate settings. I also used to use FRTC in some games which not isn't an option. 

Anyway thanks for the share!

0 Likes

Chill behaviour was the same in Adrenalin 2019.12.1 and earlier, if you only used the Game Profile menu to use Chill.
Same thing, Chill_Max has never been an FPS number, it is a performance slider versus Chill_Min.
If you Turn Chill on in the Game Profile, Local FRTC slider turns on and matches Chill_Max. 

However you could turn Local FRTC off, and set Chill_Max to 300 for max Chill performance.
You could then go to Global Settings menus and set Global FRTC on to 1 FPS below top end of the FreeSync Range.

The above assumes you want to game with VSync off to get least laggy experience with Chill.

Setting 45-75 will also limit Keyboard Only Inpute FPS FYI.

Radeon Chill Implementation at present is total claptrap.
AMD could literally change Chill variables and also implement change to the mouse behaviour and remove this ridiculous performance hit in the first case and also save even more power for the second case. 

They simply do not listen to their users.

I have been posting about this for years, along with plenty of evidence to this forum.

Use of a FreeSync 2 monitor with chill could give even more benefit.

0 Likes

I have not used chill in 2020 drivers. On polaris the 2020 drivers won't even load right for my. I still use the last 2019 driver from last December. 

0 Likes

Sorry to hear that.

Adrenalin 2020 Drivers install and work o.k. on RX590 which is Polaris 30. 
Bought mine for compute and blender. 

None of those Polaris 30 GPUs are worth purchasing though due to lack of support. 
Not sure about  Polaris 20 (RX580) or Polaris 10 (RX480).

0 Likes

Setting Chill Min = 45, Chill Max = 75 in Fortnite at 2K Ultra graphics settings gives the following results. 

No keyboard or mouse input = 45 FPS. 
Keyboard only input = 52 FPS. 
Rapid mouse movement. = 75 FPS. 

Chill performance hit in this case:  

52 - 75 / 75 * 100 =  -30.66%

Again that is pretty bad performance hit just to stay in 45-75 freeSync range,

0 Likes