cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Leandero
Journeyman III

System restarting no video signal at random during games(Strix Vega 64 underclock and stock sttings)

Dear Amd Community,

For the past months I've been running into an odd issue with my Strix Vega 64 gpu.
During varying loads the system restarts and after the restart the screen stays black, no matter how long I wait.

It doesn't happen when there is no load on the gpu and it doesn't happen under a near 100% load like a 3 Mark stress test 20+ loops. Pc can run for weeks on end without crashing as long as no games are started.

To sum it up I've tried the folowing things so far:

• Checked eventviewer found the following message:
    The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
    Kernel power error 41: 0x8000400000000002
  • Used another gpu: Amd 290 the issue doesn't appear. Unfortunately I don't have a another (relativly) powerful gpu to see if the issue happens with that gpu as well.
  • Tried a different powersupply. (1000w seasonic model, with the original cables)
  • Have tried connecting the PC directly with the grounded power outlet, have tried a different outlet in a different power group.
  • Checked temps: gpu stays under 80 degrees under full load, cpu hovering around 70 at most at full load.
  • The gpu was tested by a company (the supplyer of the gpu) and found ok but they did similar stress tests as I did.
  • Memtest for 6+ hours
  • Prime 95 64bit for 6+ hours
  • 3D Mark Stress test looped 20x or more (99.7% stable).
  • Running memory in the non oc profile (2833ish mhz)
  • Cleaning gpu drivers, fresh install.
  • Updating CPU chipset drivers/motherboard bios
  • Running it in open bench.
  • Did clean the system with pressurised air cans
  • Did test out a wide range of games using different engines on different settings. using 1440p monitor with 120hz refresh rate. Have also tried running it at 60hz. Issue persisted.
  • Have checked the storage for errors, the hdd is quite old and showed two damaged sectors but the crashes happen during games on the SSD or HDD doesn't really matter where they are stored. My OS is installed on the SSD. (Should receive a new HDD shortly but I really doubt the HDD is the cause of this issue)
  • Have checked for virus/malware infections with multiple brands (installed/updated scan, after remove, reboot and move on to the next brand)
  • Have checked background processes nothing odd there.
  • Not running any cracked software.
  • Issue happens with Origin/Steam/Ubisoft (In short multiple different game engines/protection etc.) other games like Star Citizen that use different launchers(an alpha but the full on system crashes don't seem to be game related)
  • Have uninstalled any RGB related software like iCue/TT RGB plus.
  • Issue occured in the following games: Age of Empires 4, Orcs Must Die 3, Forza Horizon 4, The Crew 2, Battlefield 4, Star Citizen, Mount and Blade Bannerlord, World of Warcraft, World of tanks, Subnautica, Borderlands 3 , Need for speed Heat to name a few. 

As the issue doesn't occur with the Amd 290 the GPU is my prime suspect. Next step would be buying a new gpu but that is where I am stuck like so many people these days.

This is my system:

System:

• Operating system: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 21H1
  • `CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700x,  Dark Rock 4 cooler.
  • RAM: 32.0GB 2x Corsair Vengeance RGB 16gb 3200 slot 0/2
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. X570 AORUS ELITE (AM4) 25 °C
  • Graphics: 8176MB ATI Radeon RX Vega (ASUStek Computer Inc) Driver suite: 21.10.2 27 °C
  • Storage: 931GB Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1TB (SATA (SSD)) 32 °C
                    2794GB Seagate ST3000DM001-1CH166 (SATA ) 28 °C
  • PSU: Corsair RM750W

Thinking it may be a capacitator on the GPU or faulty motherboard/cpu. Currently don't have a similar cpu/mobo to test this with either. Currently don't have anybody  near to swap the gpu with to see if the issue persists.

Especially during these days when you are stuck at home it is frustrating to have to deal with these random crashes. At times multiple on the same day, then not then a couple every day of a week. I can't  play non save or multiplayer games due to this issue.

Thank you for reading this wall of text and any tips would be appriciated.

0 Likes
3 Replies
Leandero
Journeyman III

Have done some extra testing

- Running the card on different fixed voltages didn't help. 

- Reset Windows, only installed Amd drivers/chipset drivers

- Have tried other pci-e slot

Does one of you have any idea besides swapping the cpu/mobo/gpu?

0 Likes
Mrigmo
Journeyman III

I had this problem, I believe it was a sound driver issue. I know it seems like the video card but it's the games you are playing trying to generate 3d sound with nahimicservice and A-volute. Try removing everything sound related from your systems drivers and reinstalling and using minimal sound software.

0 Likes
MXMXVRGMS
Journeyman III

Users that changed hdmi to display port are reporting good results around.

0 Likes