• Motherboard + Bios Revision
    • Asus PRIME B450-PLUS (AM4)
  • CPU/APU
    • AMD Ryzen 7 2700
  • Power Supply Unit  Make, Model & Wattage
    • Cooler Master 850W
  • RAM
    • 32 GB Corsair DDR4-2132 (1066 MHz) CMK32GX4M2B3000C15

I've changed my old Sapphire R7 240 4GB video card with a newer XFX RX580. Since then I have had a lot of problems whenever I use any proglam that works with GPU: e.g. Adobe PS/LR, VLC viewing videos, even a browser like Chrome or Firefox when there is some page with embedded videos. My PC starts to show random errors regarding memory access, disk corruption and so on, until ilt crashes with a BSOD (normally with CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED error).

Also, all diagnostic/benchmarking programs like (but not only) GPU caps viewer does the same disaster... I can replicate the situation all times

In any case, before crash I'm no longer to launch any program, nor ctl-alt-del works, neither shudown completes.

What i did: 

- swapped video card with another one (identical) - no good

- completely reinstalled Windows 10 from scratch - no good

- removed AMD drivers in safe mode: the problem arises also without AMD drivers, just in case... - still no good

Other than swap the card with another one that does not use AMD drivers, there is anything else I can do? Any ideas will be appreciate a lot.

Thanks in advance!

0 Likes
23 Replies
heckler
Adept I

Seems that your psu is defective, try with another one. If the system still crashes maybe it's a memory related problem, then you should test your memory modules with memtest. But i would try swapping the power supply first.

Memory was thoroughly tested, with M$ diagnostic and other programs, never return some kind of error... The PSU seems more than sufficient for all the ensemble but I'll give a try.

I have connected the only connector I can find on the card... unfortunately there is no manual explaining anything!

0 Likes
qwixt
Forerunner

Windows has a built-in memory diagnostic tool. Start with using that.

At this point, it could be memory, CPU, or PSU issue. Just need to test each in isolation to narrow it down.

0 Likes
walti
Adept I

I forgot to mention that the same tests running under Linux OS has worked for many many hours without any hassle... 

So the PSU should not be the problem.

Anyway, I've connected the 8-pin connector straight to an 8-pin connector of my PSU (it should carry ~ 150w) instead of 2 x 6-pin connector with the Y-shaped cable. AFAIK, 6-pin connector are capable of carrying ~ 75w of power. The result should be the same, right?

0 Likes

Yes, if you have a single rail PSU.

0 Likes

Tonight I can try another PSU, identical to the one I'm using at the moment... I can exclude memory modules problems, I've tried them one by one, no difference.
BTW, using 2x6-pin instead of 1x8-pin connectors gave same results: crash on first stress test...

0 Likes

Have you set your power limit to plus 50? RX 580's have their power ceiling set too low by default as the vanilla drivers are set to reference specs and almost all the cards sold have some factory OC to them. I have the XFX card too. Raise the power limit and set a custom fan curve. It should help your stability. If not then I would suspect a hardware issue. GPU, Motherboard or Power Supply. Is your bios on the mother board the latest? Here are my RX 580 settings, use the power limit and fan curve and see if that helps.

walti
Adept I

Update:

- tried a new PSU (identical to the previous one), no difference

- tried the newest driver, 19.5.1, no difference.

- tried the above settings (thanks pokester!) , no difference

Memory and PSU seems to work ok on another PC, and in fact we should remember that all stress test made under Linux OS (Mint 19) has worked flawless for many hours and hours

I'm out of ideas at the moment, so I'm getting rid of the RX 580. What card should I buy? Nvidia? Other AMD?

0 Likes

Try one last test in Mint to discard a memory fault. Install google stressapptest and run it 1 or 2 hours.

- sudo apt-get install stressapptest

and to run 1 hour:

stressapptest -W -s 3600 -M

to run 2 hours:

stressapptest -W -s 7200 -M

If it passes try with another card, i'd try with sapphire.

Good luck!

And one last suggestion, maybe it's a problem with your graphics card memory. Try to downclock the gpu memory to test if the system is more resilient to errors.

0 Likes

stressapptest is running since 3 hours ago. No errors. I've seen that there is a new chipset firmware update from AMD, let's try it...

0 Likes

Memory it's ok, psu it's ok (because you said you've tested it on another system). You swapped the card with another identical with the same result. Two defective cards in a row? That's unlikely. I assume that you're not overclocking, and mobo parameters are in default. Check if there is some parameters out of normal : pcie frequency not set in 100, vsoc values over 1.2, vcore over 1.35 ... Maybe there's some incompatibility with the xfx and your mobo ...Returning the card to vendor seems to be the end of this.

0 Likes

Nope, no overclocking at all, all parameters are at their default values. Unfortunately XFX site is useless regarding assistance.

The second card has gone into an Amazon locker... Newest chpset firmware was useless too.

Now I'm back to my old R7 240 that works fine (slow like hell...) and I'm waiting for Amazon money back, then I'll buy a totally different card...

0 Likes
walti
Adept I

Hi guys,

problem solved with a radical change of graphics card. Period.

I have an identical setup, identical problem, and have tried all the same troubleshooting steps you have.

Just ordered a 'radical' new card too:  

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 OC 6G

Is that what you did to solve?  Change to NVIDIA?

0 Likes

Unfortunately, yes. I hate nVidia, I love AMD...

0 Likes
makky
Journeyman III

Same issue

Ryzen 5 3600, Sapphire RX 580 8 GB, B450M-A Motherboard.

Fails under stress test. GPU would work fine if I set GPU fan speed to 100% continuously.

I have tried to get to the root of this cause suspect someone is supply chain is disbursing mining used GPU to end users as new.

0 Likes

Did you buy your card new from a reputable dealer?

0 Likes

Yes, the dealer has been there for years.

0 Likes

Maybe they would allow you to do an exchange?

0 Likes
jackseas
Adept I

I get this same critical_process_died  Windows 10 Blue Screen on a new desktop I build this January 2020. I've had about 10 blue screen with Windows 10 on this new desktop in a month than I had in the prior 5 years combined on an old HP 8470P Elitebook with 16GB RAM.

This desktop I built has:

a) Gigabyte DSH B450 with wifi motherboard

b) AMD Ryzen 7 2700 

c) MSI Radeon RX 570 MK2 8GB OC

d) 32GB RAM

e) Windows 10 version 1909 with current patches.

It does this blue screen when I wake the computer from sleep but not every time I wake the computer from sleep. Maybe if I was to guess between a 5 to 1 to 10 to 1 ratio of wakes to blue screens on wake.

A few times, but fewer times than blue screens for sure, the display I use is garbled or won't wake so I must unplug the screen and plug it back in.

I'm pretty sure the blue screen is because the restoring of some state related to video fails on wake so that would seem to be a video card driver or video card hardware issue.

0 Likes

Have you tried turning off Fast Startup in the 'hidden' power options?

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X, Corsair 32GB DDR4-3200, Gigabyte B550 GamingX v2, ASUS TUF Gaming RX6800 16GB, Corsair RM750i, 2TB Samsung 970Evo Plus NVMe PCIe x3, 512GB Corsair MP600 Force NVMe PCIe x4, 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA-III, ASUS BW-16D1HT BD-ROM Writer
0 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion. My Bluescreen problem was resolved by removing the StorMI drivers & software in February. I've had no bluescreens since.

0 Likes
krasny
Journeyman III

I have the same issues with two different pcs and a pair of RX580. The RX580 model are different, a nitro and a pulse from sapphire, and the computers are quite similar: a Ryzen 5 3600 with a Gigabyte B450M-DS3H and the other one is a Ryzen 5 1600AF and an Asrock B450M-PRO4 motherboard.

Both gets blackscreens and the perfomance is very low. Other components are fine (checked) and at least the Nitro is running without problems in a Intel platform.

Swapped the nitro for a 1060 and worked flawlessly, but changing both cards is a no-go for me. Any kind of advice? I see a pattern with B450 chipset and RX5xx series.

0 Likes